• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Prince William Birthday SOTD Sovereign

Zhorro

At the start of January @westminstrel speculated that there may be a SOTD for Prince William's fortieth birthday (21st June 2022).  It now seems that dealers are starting to gear up for such a release even though there is nothing official yet (but we do know that some coins are being released to celebrate his birthday).

Whilst this occasion is not as exciting/significant as the Platinum Jubilee SOTD, the interest probably lies in how any Prince William SOTD sovereign would differ from the Platinum Jubilee one.  Will it have the 2022 Jubilee reverse or will it revert to the St George and the Dragon reverse?   If there is a Prince William SOTD sovereign, knowing the RM, we would probably not find out the design until the release day!

So, who would be interested in a Prince William SOTD sovereign?

Just now, JJH said:

If my understanding is correct, why is there St George and the Dragon if William is not king?😏

The Prince Albert SOTD sovereign was on a St George and the Dragon reverse sovereign and he was not King - so I don't think that really matters.

59 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

At the start of January @westminstrel speculated that there may be a SOTD for Prince William's fortieth birthday (21st June 2022).  It now seems that dealers are starting to gear up for such a release even though there is nothing official yet (but we do know that some coins are being released to celebrate his birthday).

Whilst this occasion is not as exciting/significant as the Platinum Jubilee SOTD, the interest probably lies in how any Prince William SOTD sovereign would differ from the Platinum Jubilee one.  Will it have the 2022 Jubilee reverse or will it revert to the St George and the Dragon reverse?   If there is a Prince William SOTD sovereign, knowing the RM, we would probably not find out the design until the release day!

So, who would be interested in a Prince William SOTD sovereign?

If the design is the regular St. George and the Dragon, and the mintage is around the 1,000 mark (which is typical for the SotDs lately), then it would be a rather rare Sovereign for this year, on par with the Platinum Jubilee SotD from Feb 6.

I wasn’t aware dealers were gearing up for this… what are the rumblings if I may ask? 😅

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

If the design is the regular St. George and the Dragon, and the mintage is around the 1,000 mark (which is typical for the SotDs lately), then it would be a rather rare Sovereign for this year, on par with the Platinum Jubilee SotD from Feb 6.

I wasn’t aware dealers were gearing up for this… what are the rumblings if I may ask? 😅

A if they produce a  George and the Dragon sovereign this year  I will be all over it.     I'd like to see a proof reverse frosted sovereign.

39 minutes ago, harrygill111 said:

I'm so fatigued by all of the releases this year, but yes will have to get one otherwise i'll be kicking myself in years to come! I'm expecting a traditional George and the Dragon + priv, matt finish would be nice 

I don’t think they will use a privy.

They have typically used privy marks on recent Sovereigns either as marketing gimmicks (2018, 2020, 2021 annual Sovereigns) or to distinguish the SotDs from the regular annual Sovereigns (Brexit, VE 75, VJ 75, QV 200, PA 200).

Since this year’s annual Sovereign already has a unique design, I don’t see a reason for them to use a privy for the SotD.

But we’ll see… the speculation is fun. The price isn’t. 😵💫

3 hours ago, James32 said:

Just hope it's not all teeth.

I wrote a (hard copy) letter to Prince William about a month ago*, alerting him to the teeth problem on coins, and urging him to ensure that his teeth were not showing on any such proposed coin.

I have not yet had a reply.😟

* 10th January, I think.

Edited by LawrenceChard
added date

Chards

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

It was just a general stream of communications I was having with a dealer and they happened to mention the possibility of a second SOTD this year - though I must stress there is no official word on this yet.

As someone has already said, it is the speculation about the design that is the interesting thing.  If there is just a Privy mark shoved into the Jubilee design, in itself, I don't think this SOTD sovereign would be very interesting, but as you say, a St George and the Dragon reverse (with or without a Privy mark) would make this a very special release.  And maybe an early discussion of this could it influence the RM?  This was the main reason I decided to start this thread so far in advance of any proposed release.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I don’t think they will use a privy.

They have typically used privy marks on recent Sovereigns either as marketing gimmicks (2018, 2020, 2021 annual Sovereigns) or to distinguish the SotDs from the regular annual Sovereigns (Brexit, VE 75, VJ 75, QV 200, PA 200).

Since this year’s annual Sovereign already has a unique design, I don’t see a reason for them to use a privy for the SotD.

But we’ll see… the speculation is fun. The price isn’t. 😵💫

This is what it could look like.  Anyone from RM watching?

2022-SOTD-Mockup.jpg

11 hours ago, James32 said:

Just hope it's not all teeth.

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I wrote a (hard copy) letter to Prince William about a month ago*, alerting him to the teeth problem on coins, and urging him to ensure that his teeth were not showing on any such proposed coin.

I have not yet had a reply.😟

* 10th January, I think.

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think most TSF members remember this:

Not great, even ignoring the teeth!

😎

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

How about this?

I am only joking, in case anyone wondered!

😎

... and if anyone wants more teeth:

2022princewilliamallteethMOCKUP.thumb.jpg.0c1f68278624ef3e3d85dbcd7133d389.jpg

Reminds me of Wallace!

😎

Chards

• 3 weeks later...

A Prince William Duke of Cambridge coin without the bared teeth:

2012GoldProofDukeOfCambridge30thBirthday5poundsCoinWithBoxwithCertJerseyUnknownrevcrop.thumb.jpg.1458c0fcf23050765c336585b0d12f9c.jpg

We just happened to photograph this 30th Birthday gold £5 recently.

It looks far better, IMO, than previous Prince William coins.

Here is the obverse:

2012GoldProofDukeOfCambridge30thBirthday5poundsCoinWithBoxwithCertJerseyUnknownobvcrop.thumb.jpg.9ffe3cb38be8430de65cc7c9dc7a2574.jpg

Which reveals it be be a 2012 Jersey issue.

Chards

• 1 month later...