• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK silver bullion stacking

Shuaib121

Welcome to the forum. Ideally you want to pay as close to the (fluctuating) spot price as you can. 

The issue you'll realise is that VAT is added on to buying these coins when you buy so you might see £22 on the website then go to checkout it has jumped up 20% due to this. 

Equally buying from abroad and having delivered to UK customs will hold your package until you pay the VAT that is due (along with an additional customs fee so likely to cost more all up) 

Buying on the forum and second hand market there is no VAT added and through the forum no fees for sellers like online auction sites, so it is probably going to be your best bet.

With that said sometimes get offers that can be attractive. This dealer has been shared in the 'silver deals' forum section. 

https://tavexbullion.co.uk/silver/1-oz-british-britannia-silver-coin-tavex-uk-london/

Otherwise keep an eye on the sales section of the forum and just observe for a few weeks until you get a feel for prices and decide what the going rate is. 👍🏽

9 hours ago, Shuaib121 said:

Hey everyone, I’m new to stacking silver bullion coins and was wondering what is a good price to pay for silver Britannias in the UK?

you can often see Brits on here for under £24.00 an ounce if buying a few and as modofantasma said, that link takes you to the site with decent prices

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

3 hours ago, Gordy said:

you can often see Brits on here for under £24.00 an ounce if buying a few and as modofantasma said, that link takes you to the site with decent prices

damm that's expensive, you guys are really screwed when buying silver ...

new Britt's cost 24 euro at goldsilver.be, big difference

45 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

damm that's expensive, you guys are really screwed when buying silver ...

new Britt's cost 24 euro at goldsilver.be, big difference

I know, and thats buying vat free 

Just now, Centauri167 said:

Indeed.

But please don't say that the price of 24 GBP for a Britt is not vat included ?? 

not if its bought off here, its what the seller wants for it

46 minutes ago, Gordy said:

not if its bought off here, its what the seller wants for it

But if an official dealer sells a Britt or an other coin on the forum, he must add vat too, for a dealer the place he sell does not matter or am I wrong ?

So is 24 GBP a normal price for a Britt in the UK with or without the VAT included ?

@Shuaib121 don't want to bum you out but you are a good few years late to the silver stacking party from a UK perspective. Prior to leaving the EU we lived in sun lit uplands, free to buy VAT free silver from the rest of the EU. That door being closed is one of the 'benefits' of us leaving the EU and means that stacking silver is no longer really financially sensible (IMO). 

You are best off focusing your efforts on buying gold as you can buy it much closer to gold's spot price here in the UK than you will ever be able to do with silver. You can also buy gold from the EU without any import tax due (unlike with silver).

The example of buying silver privately on the forum at as low as around £24 is (at today's silver spot price) a mark up of around 45%!!!!!! Don't bother buddy, go with gold.

(This is not financial advise, just an opinion of a miserable Remainer)

Edited by greektony

1 hour ago, Centauri167 said:

But if an official dealer sells a Britt or an other coin on the forum, he must add vat too, for a dealer the place he sell does not matter or am I wrong ?

So is 24 GBP a normal price for a Britt in the UK with or without the VAT included ?

😳

Screenshot_20220207-222000_Chrome.jpg

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 hours ago, greektony said:

@Shuaib121 don't want to bum you out but you are a good few years late to the silver stacking party from a UK perspective. Prior to leaving the EU we lived in sun lit uplands, free to buy VAT free silver from the rest of the EU. That door being closed is one of the 'benefits' of us leaving the EU and means that stacking silver is no longer really financially sensible (IMO). 

You are best off focusing your efforts on buying gold as you can buy itmuch closer to gold's spot price here in the UK than you will ever be able to do with silver. You can also buy gold from the EU without any import tax due (unlike with silver).

The example of buying silver privately on the forum at as low as around £24 is (at today's silver spot price) a mark up of around 45%!!!!!! Don't bother buddy, go with gold.

(This is not financial advise, just an opinion of a miserable Remainer)

I fully agree with you, with those prices/ premiums + VAT you can almost never go better than with gold.

9 hours ago, James32 said:

😳

Screenshot_20220207-222000_Chrome.jpg

Thx for the example !

Terrible to see that even without the VAT a Britt cost in the UK 3 euro a piece more than at goldsilver.be if you only buy a few ...

But with the VAT the price is just insane and in my eyes not longer a worthy investment. I don't understand that people still buy new ( or silver with VAT ) silver in the UK when you don't have those crazy prices when buying Gold ... ?

( and because I am really interested in that question, I will open a new post with it and I hope that many will answer because I am intrigued about the answers )

Edited by Centauri167

Stacking silver in the UK is a mugs game. In America you can find cheap deals on constitutional/junk silver - its even in your pocket change. Its more affordable there because you don't pay VAT on silver purchases. You don't pay VAT on gold but its hardly affordable.  

Junk silver is challenging to get in the UK because we did not switch to a modern denomination until 1971

Edited by JackKlugman

34 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

Stacking silver in the UK is a mugs game. In America you can find cheap deals on constitutional/junk silver - its even in your pocket change. Its more affordable there because you don't pay VAT on silver purchases. You don't pay VAT on gold but its hardly affordable.  

Junk silver is challenging to get in the UK because we did not switch to a modern denomination until 1971

In Europe getting junk silver is very easy, I got kg's of them, most grom France and Belgium. I pay them at spott + 5 or 7,5% premium what is a good price in my eyes.

If you live in the UK, can pick up silver with less than 50% premium (£24ish per oz at time of writing - easily done in my experience) and have the understanding that you will be holding for many years, you won't lose.

If you are looking to invest in silver for immediate gains, then it's a mugs game.

My opinion, not advice!

Here, on forum, the lowest premium for 999 silver is 24% to 27%. There are very often for sale and are selling quick kilo bars at £660-£675 (equivalent £20.50-£21.00/oz). In my opinion it is a good option for silver stackers, even in UK.

If you are buying at this price and who knows, you are forced to sell quick, you will not lose any. And for long term stacking it is a bargain.

Edited by stefffana

should the spot price of silver spike to say 30 quid an ounce then junk silver will be the instant winner. the UK premium will be squeezed..  but if the price stays there the premium will muscle back in. the percentage premium will always be a bit lower the higher the spot price goes..  and obviously the opposite applies 

• 1 month later...

Is anyone on here following NESARA/GESARA? And the positive currency reset? And the decades of price surpression on silver finnaly ending and allowing the price to fly to its full potential? From my understanding you can't call any form of buying silver a mugs game because of the true potential of silver prices. Curious to hear from anyone also aware of NESARA/GESARA :)

On 07/02/2022 at 20:54, Centauri167 said:

if a dealer (business user) puts a post on here the price quoted is the price payable, its as simple as that, they do not advertise £24.00 plus VAT (at meast not anything i've noticed and i am on here daily)

Its the secondary market generally, but members on here in the uk would choose not to pay £24.00 +Vat for bullion Brits, they would wait... 

On 08/02/2022 at 11:29, JackKlugman said:

Stacking silver in the UK is a mugs game.

I disagree with you on that, yes you have to do due diligence when buying but without jumping in headfirst deals on affordable silver for stacking are easy to find

There are probably thousands of members on here from the UK and they will still consider stacking new silver for the future investment/retirement fund

some like the sCRAP junk some prefer new and shiny, but its not a mugs game... you just need to be patient and strike when the time is right... 

I don't know I've bagged a fair few cigarette cases below spot.

Can't get Albert chains below spot though, spoons and flatware more variable.

.500 junk silver coins can be got below spot occasionally, more often or not a tad above.

Pre-1920 that isn't totally shot to pieces or utter junk is nigh on impossible to pick up without a premium. But in that instance I tend to play the numismatic market and not the silver one.

While it's true that literal VAT is not charged in the trading section of the forum, to manage expectations keep in mind the 20% margin is pretty much still there, plus the usual mark up as well. Probably fair enough given the UK marketplace is VAT saturated, a seller on here can just add the "ghost" VAT with a slight undercut (say, 18%) and still give the buyer a "bargain" while taking close to full price.

• 2 months later...
On 12/03/2022 at 13:13, Christoph said:

Is anyone on here following NESARA/GESARA?

Moi :) Also following the whole RV / QFS situation too.

Are you aware of Dr Scott Young? He recently done a 3 part weekly ''Nesara Explained'' which was extremely informative. Parts 1 & 3 spoke volumes to me. Just watched Part 3, and everything fell into place for me. Needless to say I am pleased to have very recently thrown a few more ounces of Gold on to my stash via the form of 2022 Buffalo's ~ My favourite coin. 

"Is anyone on here following NESARA/GESARA?"

Human nature being what it is, there will be an elite and then there will be the rest. Shades of Logan's Run. The WEF and others are lining up their ducks. It scares me and want nothing to do with it. The published aims cannot be disputed but the reality will be different.