• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How is inflation effecting you in 2022?

@Stacktastic I think many are feeling the same or at least can feel a change in society that's coming fast.  I life in a town where there is mass poverty there has been a noticeable change in the number of people on the streets homeless and begging the food banks have run out of food.   It is so easy to judge people and not even see them as real people, where there is a mass economic shift people at the bottom of society are the ones that are effected first.

I agree with you many people in the UK do not have very many life skills and reduced every generation however this is by design.  Wood and metal work even farming was taught to boys in schools as part of the curriculum, girls got taught needle work, cooking, and how to be a mother.....(Hell I might even up set some millennial for saying this)   Reducing practical life skills makes the population more dependant on the system they are controlled by. 

I was taught to cook and bake by my mum, I cook and bake every single day I never buy connivence food, I don't cook 5* meals don't get me wrong,  home made cheese and onion pie, and make multiple meals from a chicken and I alway boil down the remains into stock for a soup, (make the best soup ever).

Funny you mention a fish farm,   my first ever job was a trainee fish monger on an out door market stall.   God it was a smelly freezing  cold job but I just wanted to earn money and getting a brown envelope with cash in it at the end of the week was a great feeling at 16 I felt rich,  and I suppose I was compared to my mates who did nothing.

We all have to do the best by ourselves and trying to be more self sufficient and having practical skills is a valuable commodity especially in a time of change.  

7 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I agree with you many people in the UK do not have very many life skills. Wood and metal work even farming was taught to boys in schools as part of the curriculum, girls got taught needle work, cooking, and how to be a mother. 

Since I exited 'the system' & brought myself back to how I was before I got conditioned by society, i have really begun self improvement, but most importantly get the courage to fix the boiler, the suspension on my car, bake bread & other things I would never have paid someone else to have done. A lot of this was with thanks to youtube, when professionals were suggesting things that were quite frankly wrong, or other options are available. A plumber told my mum she needed new taps (expensive), but I changed the valve for under a tenner. He also changed the whole shower so I doubt that needed to be done for £750!! 

Its getting better certainly, hell my parents taught me next to no life skills (as far as I remember), I cant even remember my father ever sitting down with me and doing anything, let alone having a meaningful conversation, but they tried thier best with what they had & I hope that I am also with my children? 

I find it amazing that I had no education on how to look after & nurture my children, let alone finance, but I went to a posh school and we had fabulous craft & music facilities. I love teaching my kids how to fix stuff & cook and things, its really fabulous to set them up for a decent future - my eldest at 6 is already a gold bug & draws stock charts. ;) 

I do think there will be a break to smaller niche industries & hobbies now as well as crafts & tech should help that, especially VR & AR / Meta for all it possible potential negatives. I so wanted an Occults until I looked into its privacy invasion. :( 

Edited by Stacktastic

On 04/02/2022 at 08:31, Zhorro said:

Is this massive increase (54% average) in gas and electricity prices happening in other countries, or is this just a UK thing?

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/britons-face-steep-drop-quality-life-uk-govt-scrambles-avert-energy-crisis-subsidy-plan

On today's Radio 4 "Moneybox" programme it was stated that electricity prices in France were only going up 4%, and that the energy provider EDF was having to take the hit.

@Stacktastic 

12 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I find it amazing that I had no education on how to look after & nurture my children, let alone finance

Bingo!  There is a reason why they don't teach kids about finance, how life changing would it be to be taught about the choices we make about pensions and mortgages IE those decisions that will effect the whole of you life. The 99% get taught only to be obedient working tax payers.  

Congrats on learning to fix stuff yourself YT is fantastic for that.

@Paul That's fantastic mate I love nostalgia like this, here's one from my childhood Argos Catalogue 1985.

If you look at page 142  You could buy a Star Wars AT-AT for £17.95 this boxed and pristine have fetched £1000'S way out performed gold! 

https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no24-1985-autumn

I had that A-Team duvet set!

argos.png

a team.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

That Tesco ad indicates that prices have increased by a factor of about 10x to 12x since 1972. That would be roughly in line with official inflation figures for the UK.

Some of the items are difficult to compare because the sizes are variable or may have changed. Penguin biscuits for example are listed there at 9.5p for 6, whereas they are now £1 for 8, which is 8.3x, but they are probably smaller now, since most confectionery has shrunk. The easiest one to compare is the butter at 12.5 p per half pound, which equates to 55p per kg, compared with today where you might pay £6 per kg for a cheap supermarket own brand up to £8 for a premium brand, giving between 11x and 14x. The can of baked beans at 6.5 p for 13 oz equates to 17.66 p/kg versus about £1.50 per kg for a supermarket own brand or £2.40 for Heinz, giving between 8x and 13x.

On 06/02/2022 at 13:48, Bumble said:

That Tesco ad indicates that prices have increased by a factor of about 10x to 12x since 1972. That would be roughly in line with official inflation figures for the UK.

Some of the items are difficult to compare because the sizes are variable or may have changed. Penguin biscuits for example are listed there at 9.5p for 6, whereas they are now £1 for 8, which is 8.3x, but they are probably smaller now, since most confectionery has shrunk. The easiest one to compare is the butter at 12.5 p per half pound, which equates to 55p per kg, compared with today where you might pay £6 per kg for a cheap supermarket own brand up to £8 for a premium brand, giving between 11x and 14x. The can of baked beans at 6.5 p for 13 oz equates to 17.66 p/kg versus about £1.50 per kg for a supermarket own brand or £2.40 for Heinz, giving between 8x and 13x.

Tesco warns the worst is yet to come:

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/largest-uk-supermarket-warns-worst-has-yet-come-amid-food-inflation-crisis

@Zhorro It's only the start of things to come.  I predict diesel will be £1.75, and food will have increased 12%+ by the end of the year.  It will get to a point where people can not afford to work what's the point?  If both partners are low earners and there is zero shame in that they can not be just about managing  anymore they must now be further into debt every month, no way can everyone absorb these price increases.  

Big ticket items are ones to watch, car sales have seen the worse sales in over 30+ years, home improvements I've already seen a pull back in this sector. Pub, restaurant and leisure industry will be  decimated.

In my home town  I a saw a homeless man begging outside a jewellers that sells 65K+ patek philippe watches.......Reflects the disparity in society?

Inflation is insidious and only robs you of your saving and your labour in the fiat that is being created. Come to realise this and you can be somewhat immune to its ravages as I guess most forum members have worked out. Just sad that so many do not understand what is being perpetrated against them. Only then as history shows maybe the tall trees and short ropes finally bring justice to the fraudsters.

@ady It's always been the case just now we are seeing a hyper accelerated effect.  Jobs now do not pay anywhere close to what they did in relative terms.

My dad was a humble paint spryer in a factory yet this was enough to buy a 3 bed house raise 4 kids and my mum was a house wife.   That same paint spryer job today to buy the same house raise 4 kids and have mum at home would need to pay at least 65-70K per year to have the same relative wealth. 

The job today would be luck to pay 21k per year.  wages in this instance have lost more than 3 times their value in 40 years.  regardless of other financial effects, like interest rates and inflation. 

Oh and I forgot to mention it was enough to pay for the old man to be in the local club boozing 5 nights a week.  Thats another £200 per week right there. 

3 hours ago, ady said:

Inflation is insidious and only robs you of your saving and your labour in the fiat that is being created. Come to realise this and you can be somewhat immune to its ravages as I guess most forum members have worked out. Just sad that so many do not understand what is being perpetrated against them. Only then as history shows maybe the tall trees and short ropes finally bring justice to the fraudsters.

My son is a final year student, his campus has a Greggs, he joked tonight that Sausage Rolls have gone up 5p to £1.05; the students have managed to work out its 5% price rise..

Might take a long time, but those sort of price rises get the cogs whirring even in the masses.

3 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

My son is a final year student, his campus has a Greggs, he joked tonight that Sausage Rolls have gone up 5p to £1.05; the students have managed to work out its 5% price rise..

Might take a long time, but those sort of price rises get the cogs whirring even in the masses.

Wait till oil hits 150$ a barrel and possibly $200 then it will sink in! Its coming!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

4 hours ago, ZigZag said:

Greggs oo campus!1 My how misinnformeed I am. I thought students lived on chilli, beans and spaag bol; spending the grant down the student union bar where anarchy was planned.

Talking of students, no wonder they are walking away with 60k of debt after 3 years, the accommodation is positively opulent.  Trendy loft type apartments with a gym, pool and table tennis tables, vending machines, and 24 hour staffing.    Nicer than some hotels I've paid £120 a night B&B.    I'm not student bashing this generation has been nailed just most of them can't see it, just fooled into a standard of life their eduction is unlikely to pay for. 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'm not student bashing this generation has been nailed just most of them can't see it, just fooled into a standard of life their eduction is unlikely to pay for.

I was the only one in my economics class that could see it. Even some tutors were sniggering at house prices or had a smile when looking at the markets. Its all well good for them when they sit back and watch their kids, grandkids and descent unborn get destroyed. The arrogance is astounding but it merely reflects the cowardice in many because at no point did they ever have it in them to do anything about it. 

If you know any local farmers go and ask them about fertiliser prices the past year then stand back 😬

Along with other costs going up, these prices haven't made their way into supermarkets yet. It's fertiliser that's bought for this year's crops that are growing still and only be harvested later this year. 

While I am brewing up a batch I thought I would share my all time money saving hobby.  
At around 85%, saves space & Its for personal use at what must be about £1-2 a litre.  

And also a prepping behemoth & hedge as I could use it for bartering or as a petrol bomb. ;) 
If nothin else it could be used for medicine, heating/light or running a generator. 
Im using the heads and tails (not very tasty) with citric acid for dishwasher liquid. 

What else can I do out of interest as I like stuff like this.
I already make my own  bread & know how to make fuel. 

Electricity is on my list but it can be expensive to set up.

IMG_7794.JPG

Edited by Stacktastic

2 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

While I am brewing up a batch I thought I would share my all time money saving hobby.  
At around 85%, saves space & Its for personal use at what must be about £1-2 a litre.  

And also a prepping behemoth & hedge as I could use it for bartering or as a petrol bomb. ;) 
If nothin else it could be used for medicine, heating/light or running a generator. 
Im using the heads and tails (not very tasty) with citric acid for dishwasher liquid. 

What else can I do out of interest as I like stuff like this.
I already make my own  bread & know how to make fuel. 

Electricity is on my list but it can be expensive to set up.

IMG_7794.JPG

i can sell you bottled methane fresh from my anus horribus. good fuel burns well stinks mind. 1 sov per litre inckuding postage :) 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

11 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Talking of students, no wonder they are walking away with 60k of debt after 3 years, the accommodation is positively opulent.  Trendy loft type apartments with a gym, pool and table tennis tables, vending machines, and 24 hour staffing.    Nicer than some hotels I've paid £120 a night B&B.    I'm not student bashing this generation has been nailed just most of them can't see it, just fooled into a standard of life their eduction is unlikely to pay for. 

Buddy, I know where you’re coming from, back in the day, some of mine had mouldy walls and pretty grotty bathrooms. Saying that if you’ve watched the young ones, my sons digs are a modest upgrade and given the run ins I’ve had along with another parent, with his landlord; I’d say him and his mates are some way off opulence. They’ve all took on part time summer or term time jobs, so as not to take on extra debt in their 3rd year too.

The biggest laugh for him was getting furlough pay from a leisure centre he worked at before Uni. He happily took the money, but volunteered at the air ambulance shops to appease his conscience for doing so. It depends on the students and their upbringings I’d say, not all are fooled that student life, indebtedness it brings, will all be a bed of roses, due to a nailed on career and mega bucks. All down to work ethic in my mind.

12 hours ago, ady said:

Greggs oo campus!1 My how misinnformeed I am. I thought students lived on chilli, beans and spaag bol; spending the grant down the student union bar where anarchy was planned.

Did my best to educate mine, that if you had uncle bens and and a curry sauce recipe (or tin), then literally anything could be curried. Seem to remember spam was my specialty. How times change 🙄😂

6 hours ago, modofantasma said:

If you know any local farmers go and ask them about fertiliser prices the past year then stand back 😬

Along with other costs going up, these prices haven't made their way into supermarkets yet. It's fertiliser that's bought for this year's crops that are growing still and only be harvested later this year. 

Tell me about it…….. I’ve been posting about this for over a year.   More big changes coming with direct payments ending.  Hundreds of thousands of acres going in to just feed birds and wild life and only going to get more

1 hour ago, HerefordBullyun said:

i can sell you bottled methane fresh from my anus horribus. good fuel burns well stinks mind. 1 sov per litre inckuding postage :) 

4 minutes ago, Bars said:

Proper pants down special that is!

Thats a point @Leonmarsh you must be interested?

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use