• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's beasts V King's beasts

Hi everyone. 

Being relatively new to collecting silver I wanted to ask a question and hopefully get some views and opinions. 

I was too late to get into the Queen's beasts series but did buy a few. I was aware of the hype and everyone saying that this was a great series with great designs. As I missed out I thought I would go for the new series...I bought the Seymour Panther with the view of hopefully getting the whole set. Looking on ebay I have noticed a lot of the Queen's beasts being sold and have sold for lower prices than the original release price? So my question is do you think the King's beasts series will go the same way and not be such a good investment in the future? 

Appreciate any comments. Thanks...

Hard to say. Same as you, i didn't have all QB's, mainly because i was in a lot of other series that had a much lower premium and no quality issues, like milkspots. Since 2020 the premiums on limited bullion and BU coins are more and more ridicolous, so 2021 was my first year, spending more money for proof, than for other coins. You can burn a lot of money with proof coins, so i watched out for something, that makes more sense than different animals, anniversary, ships and pirates, or something like this. Or paying crazy money on secondary market, cause you missed a queue at 9 in the morning. Great Engravers, and how it looks the Monarchs too, will never be easy to collect, almost impossible te get everything for retail. And if you miss, you will pay a lot more to complete your series.

For me, the Tudor Beasts have everything, that a collector's series should have. Not too many issues, continuity option, not a instant sell out, so maybe less flippers and more collectors on this series, it's historical, not fictional, it's from the Royal Mint (even if they don't care themselfs, they have a history and worldwide reputation).

On the bad side, the high mintage especially for the 1 OZ silver and gold, quality issues (if i had to return 5 times a coin for replacement, maybe i would stop this series too, if not the mint) and you don't know the next designs. The Panther should not be the best one. Looks good, especially in hand, but you don't get a gasping breath from the design. It depends especially by the overlapping beasts. Tough competition, Jody Clark created a fabolous series. If David Lawrence creates something similar good, or even better, we will be lucky to ain't have to queue the last five, or six beasts. If not, we can trade them for Snowman and Alice in Wonderland coins.

As long as the designs are good to beautiful i will enjoy collecting them. If not, 💩 happens. 

15 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

Hard to say. Same as you, i didn't have all QB's, mainly because i was in a lot of other series that had a much lower premium and no quality issues, like milkspots. Since 2020 the premiums on limited bullion and BU coins are more and more ridicolous, so 2021 was my first year, spending more money for proof, than for other coins. You can burn a lot of money with proof coins, so i watched out for something, that makes more sense than different animals, anniversary, ships and pirates, or something like this. Or paying crazy money on secondary market, cause you missed a queue at 9 in the morning. Great Engravers, and how it looks the Monarchs too, will never be easy to collect, almost impossible te get everything for retail. And if you miss, you will pay a lot more to complete your series.

For me, the Tudor Beasts have everything, that a collector's series should have. Not too many issues, continuity option, not a instant sell out, so maybe less flippers and more collectors on this series, it's historical, not fictional, it's from the Royal Mint (even if they don't care themselfs, they have a history and worldwide reputation).

On the bad side, the high mintage especially for the 1 OZ silver and gold, quality issues (if i had to return 5 times a coin for replacement, maybe i would stop this series too, if not the mint) and you don't know the next designs. The Panther should not be the best one. Looks good, especially in hand, but you don't get a gasping breath from the design. It depends especially by the overlapping beasts. Tough competition, Jody Clark created a fabolous series. If David Lawrence creates something similar good, or even better, we will be lucky to ain't have to queue the last five, or six beasts. If not, we can trade them for Snowman and Alice in Wonderland coins.

As long as the designs are good to beautiful i will enjoy collecting them. If not, 💩 happens. 

Thanks for your reply very insightful. I suppose everything is a gamble when you buy Gold n Silver,especially Silver...like you I have a diversity of coins Brits,Kooks,pirates tigers Pandas etc..even a couple of DC comics. Its interesting to see that you can buy quite a few of the Queen's beasts cheaper on the secondary market than you can at the RM and some dealers which makes me wonder if the King's beasts are going the same way...🤔

Its really impossible to say. The reality is that most proof coins lose money over time. There's been a lot of exceptions lately but I think that rule still holds true. The one thing against the Tudor Beasts series is that it has had quite a poor start where as I think the Queens Beasts had a much better start with much better designed coins coming out first and poorer designs featuring towards the end of the series once people were invested. Mintages are also an issue as @dikefalos points out.

My hope would be that they adjust the mintage down on subsequent releases and we begin to see some stronger more visually appealing designs. I think if those two happen the series will be a winner and well worth having.

40 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Its really impossible to say. The reality is that most proof coins lose money over time. There's been a lot of exceptions lately but I think that rule still holds true. The one thing against the Tudor Beasts series is that it has had quite a poor start where as I think the Queens Beasts had a much better start with much better designed coins coming out first and poorer designs featuring towards the end of the series once people were invested. Mintages are also an issue as @dikefalos points out.

My hope would be that they adjust the mintage down on subsequent releases and we begin to see some stronger more visually appealing designs. I think if those two happen the series will be a winner and well worth having.

I almost totally agree. But i think, you can't compare the QB start with the Tudors. By the time, the QB came out, there was literally nothing else really interesting else at the RM. I guess for most of us non UK residents it was mostly bullion sovereigns and britannias. Now you have the Great Engravers, still the QB, newest the Monarchs. A lot of competition for the Tudors at their own house.

But thanks for mentioning, that almost all of modern proofs will loose over time. We all should mention this and just buy collectable coins for the reason they are made for. Collecting and enjoying your collection.

Edited by dikefalos

I think there will be a mix of duds🤮 and sensationals🥳 in this set. Still cannot decide on whether to collect the set in nickel or just the sexy ones in proof🙄🤔 I only collect in 1oz size and at current mintage can still be sure not to miss out🥳

16 minutes ago, Shell said:

I think there will be a mix of duds🤮 and sensationals🥳 in this set. Still cannot decide on whether to collect the set in nickel or just the sexy ones in proof🙄🤔 I only collect in 1oz size and at current mintage can still be sure not to miss out🥳

Why not the 2oz. Harder to get because of the mi tage??