• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Brexit 50p coin sells for £650 :-o

1 hour ago, Bruce06 said:

Many people will become rich if the price is real, too good to be true😅

Thanks for sharing.

IKR … Actually my wife noticed it and told me If I had one lol, Luckily I did, Listed it in auction lets see how much this one will go for lol, I feel s****** for doing it but just wanted to test things out... 

Edited by coinory

5 hours ago, coinory said:

IKR … Actually my wife noticed it and told me If I had one lol, Luckily I did, Listed it in auction lets see how much this one will go for lol, I feel s****** for doing it but just wanted to test things out... 

tell me which one is it please 😝 i can bid a million for u

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

10 hours ago, coinory said:

Haha...let us know once u sold it then i will list it in trade section here😆

18 hours ago, coinory said:

Came across this news https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/uk-50p-coin-sells-650-6544388 
Who is buying these coins 😮 

Brexit coin .png

15 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Many people will become rich if the price is real, too good to be true😅

Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, dicker said:

Overpaying for items is a classic money laundering technique

The answer to your question "Who is buying these coins", is probably "nobody".

According to Wikipedia:

"Reach plc (known as Trinity Mirror between 1999 and 2018) is a British newspaper, magazine and digital publisher. It is one of Britain's biggest newspaper groups, publishing 240 regional papers in addition to the national Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, The Sunday People, Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star, Daily Star Sunday as well as the Scottish Daily Record and Sunday Mail and the magazine OK!. Since purchasing Local World, it has gained 83 print publications. Reach plc's headquarters are at Canary Wharf in London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index."

I am highly sceptical of most media claims about coins selling for ridiculously high prices on ebay.

In most cases that I have delved into, the item concerned:

Cannot be found on ebay

Is merely listed for sale, but not sold.

Is listed for sale, with one or more bids, but not sold.

Is showing as "sold", but without any feedback supporting its status.

My conclusion from these cases is that few if any people are actually so stupid as to pay the incredible prices cited. I guess most other TSF members will think along similar lines.

So why do these stories persist?

It is almost certainly in ebay's interest to promote, encourage, or at least not to discourage them. It encourages "me too" behaviour, indeed there is already evidence for this in this thread @coinory appears to have listed his own coin on ebay. Most "me too" listers probably think "well it's only a few pence / pounds to try it", but repeated millions of times worldwide, this must add significanly to ebay's profits.

Newspapers love to run these "clickbait" stories, partly because it's the sort of story their gullible readers like to read, so why disappoint them? The stories are not easy to disprove or expose. It is never easy to prove a negative. I would be more inclined to believe the "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster" story.

It is quite easy to set up fake accounts on ebay, and "shill" bid on your own or a friend's items. Reasons for this may vary.

In the case of Reach PLC, with about 240 publications, they can run a similar story in a different publication, with different journalists / editors names, every day of the week, with minimal actual journalistic input or effort. It hardly matters whether there is any truth or real merit in the story, and there are few people likely to challenge the accuracy or honesty or the "reporting".

I speak with some experience, as I waded through much of their garbage in the copyright abuse case mentioned here: 

Where some of @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer's high quality, copyright photos were recycled in connection with multiple different "news" stories about valuable coins in your change.

Many of the "facts" included in Reach PLC's reports include quotes by ChangeChecker (for example "ChangeChecker expert Alexandra Siddons previously told The Mirror..."

Changechecker.org and associated Apps are copyright of 288 Group Ltd.
Change Checker and the Change Checker logo are Registered Trademarks in the UK of 288 Group Ltd. Privacy Policy. 

The Westminster Collection, a trading division of 288 Group Ltd. 288 Group Ltd Registered in England 2000413. Reg Office: Russell House, Oxford Road, Bournemouth BH8 8EX.

It's my guess that the publicity gained from providing such "expert" quotes to media hacks is good for business at ChangeChecker, Westminster Collection, and 288 Group, and probably helps to massage their sales.

Some more cynical people than me might think that they are part of a conspiracy theory to promote such "get rich quick" stories. While I have no evidence of this, I do wonder how expert some of their "experts" really are.

While mentioning Westminster, I should probably mention that they also used Chard copyright photos on at least one occasion. We took legal action against them, the results of which are published here:

https://www.goldcopyright.co.uk/legal-cases/westminster-collections/

I took the time and trouble to search ebay "sold" listings, and could find no trace of a Brexit 50 pence haviing been sold on the 23rd of January 2022, although I notice that the article does not state which year it was referring to "One coin sold for £650 on January 23, and other ambitious sellers are asking for as much as £865 for theirs...".

The highest price is could find in my search was for a gold proof version which does appear to have actually sold for "Winning bid: £2,051.66".

A "RARE BREXIT Commemorative Collectors Fifty Pence Coin Souvenir Worth £21,000" "sold" for £1600, but the lack of feedback leads me to conclude that this was untrue and false.

One "sold" for £200, but again the lack of feedback leads me to conclude that this was untrue and false.

Another reported sale at £50 was described as "CHEAPEST 50p COINS FIFTY PENCE KEW GARDENS BEATRIX POTTER OLYMPICS BREXIT", so can probably be ignored.

Yet another "2020 Britain Brexit 50p fifty pence .925 Silver proof coin 8g Lot 32" sold for £35.01, but it was a silver proof.

None of the other 32 "sold" listings were at a high price, and were not worth mentioning here.

My conclusion from checking ebay is that there was no such actual sale, and that the media report was inaccurate, misleading, unfounded, inadequately checked, unprofessional, and possibly dishonest.

The 9 ebay listings shown in the screenshot appear to have been "current" listings, in progress as opposed to "sold" listings. These could easily have been spoofed by anyone making a bid (5 items had 1 bid showing), which could then have been retracted without any penalty or difficulty. They can probably all safely be ignored as any evidence supporting the "sold" claim.

@dicker makes an excellent point about money laundering, which I had not considered.

There is an old saying "Don't believe everything you read in the papers", which probably needs updating to "Don't believe anything you read in the papers", or see on ebay.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

24 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The answer to your question "Who is buying these coins", is probably "nobody".

Accordidng to Wikipedia:

"Reach plc (known as Trinity Mirror between 1999 and 2018) is a British newspaper, magazine and digital publisher. It is one of Britain's biggest newspaper groups, publishing 240 regional papers in addition to the national Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, The Sunday People, Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star, Daily Star Sunday as well as the Scottish Daily Record and Sunday Mail and the magazine OK!. Since purchasing Local World, it has gained 83 print publications. Reach plc's headquarters are at Canary Wharf in London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index."

I am highly sceptical of most media claims about coins selling for ridiculously high prices on ebay.

In most cases that I have delved into, the item concerned:

Cannot be found on ebay

Is merely listed for sale, but not sold.

Is listed for sale, with one or more bids, but not sold.

Is showing as "sold", but without any feedback supporting its status.

My conclusion from these cases is that few if any people are actually so stupid as to pay the incredible prices cited. I guess most other TSF members will think along similar lines.

So why do these stories persist?

It is almost certainly in ebay's interest to promote, encourage, or at least not to discourage them. It encourages "me too" behaviour, indeed there is already evidence for this in this thread @coinory appears to have listed his own coin on ebay. Most "me too" listers probably think "well it's only a few pence / pounds to try it", but repeated millions of times worldwide, this must add significanly to ebay's profits.

Newspapers love to run these "clickbait" stories, partly because it's the sort of story their gullible readers like to read, so why disappoint them? The stories are not easy to disprove or expose. It is never easy to prove a negative. I would be more inclined to believe the "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster" story.

It is quite easy to set up fake accounts on ebay, and "shill" bid on your own or a friend's items. Reasons for this may vary.

In the case of Reach PLC, with about 240 publications, they can run a similar story in a different publication, with different journalists / editors names, every day of the week, with minimal actual journalistic input or effort. It hardly matters whether there is any truth or real merit in the story, and there are few people likely to challenge the accuracy or honesty or the "reporting".

I speak with some experience, as I waded through much of their garbage in the copyright abuse case mentioned here: 

Where some of @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer's high quality, copyright photos were recycled in connection with multiple different "news" stories about valuable coins in your change.

Many of the "facts" included in Reach PLC's reports include quotes by ChangeChecker (for example "ChangeChecker expert Alexandra Siddons previously told The Mirror..."

Changechecker.org and associated Apps are copyright of 288 Group Ltd.
Change Checker and the Change Checker logo are Registered Trademarks in the UK of 288 Group Ltd. Privacy Policy. 

The Westminster Collection, a trading division of 288 Group Ltd. 288 Group Ltd Registered in England 2000413. Reg Office: Russell House, Oxford Road, Bournemouth BH8 8EX.

It's my guess that the publicity gained from providing such "expert" quotes to media hacks is good for business at ChangeChecker, Westminster Collection, and 288 Group, and probably helps to massage their sales.

Some more cynical people than me might think that they are part of a conspiracy theory to promote such "get rich quick" stories. While I have nor evidence of this, I do wonder how expert some of their "experts" really are.

While mentioning Westminster, I should probably mention that they also used Chard copyright photos on at least one occasion. We took legal action against them, the results of which are published here:

https://www.goldcopyright.co.uk/legal-cases/westminster-collections/

I took the time and trouble to search ebay "sold" listings, and could find no trace of a Brexit 50 pence haviing been sold on the 23rd of January 2022, although I notice that the article does not state which year it was referring to "One coin sold for £650 on January 23, and other ambitious sellers are asking for as much as £865 for theirs...".

The highest price is could find in my search was for a gold proof version which does appear to have actually sold for "Winning bid: £2,051.66".

A "RARE BREXIT Commemorative Collectors Fifty Pence Coin Souvenir Worth £21,000" "sold" for £1600, but the lack of feedback leads me to conclude that this was untrue and false.

One "sold" for £200, but again the lack of feedback leads me to conclude that this was untrue and false.

Another reported sale at £50 was described as "CHEAPEST 50p COINS FIFTY PENCE KEW GARDENS BEATRIX POTTER OLYMPICS BREXIT", so can probably be ignored.

Yet another "2020 Britain Brexit 50p fifty pence .925 Silver proof coin 8g Lot 32" sold for £35.01, but it was a silver proof.

None of the other 32 "sold" listings were at a high price, and were not worth mentioning here.

My conclusion from checking ebay is that there was no such actual sale, and that the media report was inaccurate, misleading, unfounded, inadequately checked, unprofessional, and possibly dishonest.

The 9 ebay listings shown in the screenshot appear to have been "current" listings, in progress as opposed to "sold" listings. These could easily have been spoofed aby anyone making a bid (5 items had 1 bid showing), which could then have been retracted without any penalty or difficulty. They can probably all safely be ignored as any evidence supporting the "sold" claim.

@dicker makes an excellent point about money laundering, which I had not considered.

There is an old saying "Don't believe everything you read in the papers", which probably needs updating to "Don't believe anything you read in the papers", or see on ebay.

😎

Wow never thought about this, Thanks for sharing your insights , Everyday something new to learn :) Just one thing though these listings above are in sold section (Some of them are not showing in sold section so they were deleted or fake accounts)  Maybe they sell but not deliver or something like that ?

Edited by coinory

37 minutes ago, coinory said:

Wow never thought about this, Thanks for sharing your insights , Everyday something new to learn :) Just one thing though these listings above are in sold section (Some of them are not showing in sold section so they were deleted or fake accounts)  Maybe they sell but not deliver or something like that ?

Who knows?

The most likely explanation is that the buyer/bidder failed to pay, but it is possible the seller cancelled the sale for some reason.

Also the last item was for a  job lot "collection" of 163 coins, which works out at under £1 each.

Some other TSF members might have possible explanations or theories.

Chards

@LawrenceChard

This is an excellent site, and there are parts that are very very funny. In particular, the following.

I can just imagine the lawyer for a media organisation reading this over their Starbucks in the morning and realising that they are going to have their work cut out.

All the best

Dicker

Copyright Infringements by Direct Competitors – Coin & Bullion Dealers, Jewellers
If you fall into this category, we consider you as in the worst class of offender.

https://www.goldcopyright.co.uk/

Not my circus, not my monkeys