• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The future of Gothic Coins

Silverman2U

Hey, interested in people thoughts. I am picking up Gothic Crowns these days for ever decreasing prices. At the moment I am getting them around £400 a 2oz coin off eBay (yes even cheap than off TSF which is rare). 

I am rather bullish for the future

Thoughts? 

I think the prices at the minute are around the bottom. I would be very tempted to buy some anywhere under 400. I saw a few on ebay, but wasn't convinced of the quality from what I could see.

I like you, am bullish. The heritage auctions were a good result.

But, you never know. Perhaps the economy is in a different place to what it was.

I want to keep the ones I have, but I expect the value to increase from the current market rates.

8 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Hey, interested in people thoughts. I am picking up Gothic Crowns these days for ever decreasing prices. At the moment I am getting them around £400 a 2oz coin off eBay (yes even cheap than off TSF which is rare). 

Thoughts? 

Tbh I'm not sure why this coin isn't doing well...when it was released the "Flippers " were putting it in ebay for £899 upwards...now they are selling for £400 and under? Maybe it will do well in the future with the 2nd release..but I'm glad I didn't buy one thinking it was going to be another Una! Thing is you just can't predict what coin is going to do well...and thats the fun part of collecting and speculating I guess....

37 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Thoughts? 

Genuinely don't see it staying at £400ish come march when set is complete. 

Feel for people that bought high though due to the hype.

If I bought in at £800, personally I'd buy another now at £400 to cost average down to £600 ,then feel a little safer.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

20 minutes ago, James32 said:

If I bought in at £800, personally I'd buy another now at £400 to cost average down to £600 ,then feel a little safer.

I deff can see the logic in that,personally I wouldn'tpurchase at a lower price...gut feeling is they won't do as well as expected even with the 2nd release...I hope I'm wrong for all those who have and are going to purchase the 2nd...but I'm glad I've steered clear of this issue..

Just now, Samcrewsilverlover said:

I deff can see the logic in that,personally I wouldn'tpurchase at a lower price...gut feeling is they won't do as well as expected even with the 2nd release...I hope I'm wrong for all those who have and are going to purchase the 2nd...but I'm glad I've steered clear of this issue..

Yeah if I'm completely honest and wasn't lucky enough on the day to get rrp, then I doubt I would have purchased on the secondary market. 

I feel safe though and do expect a rise.

24 minutes ago, James32 said:

bought high though due to the hype

Didn't get stung at £800, but paid £640 for one, due to missing out on the day and seeing the high sale prices on ebay etc. Complete FOMO!

Really like the coin though, so I have bought a few more since, all the way down to £400 - even bought the Alderney PF70 set :) 

Looking forward to picking up a few 2nd releases to make up some matching pairs.

Longer term, I'm hoping the price appreciates enough for me to sell on, leaving me with a nice cheap pair for my collection.

My concern is why does the mint permit these other releases like the Alderney? Provided they keep production mainly (entirely)  in-house I think long term they will do fine. 
second concern is the mint do another release of the same coin, 10 to 15 years down the line. Not beyond the realms as I think marketing will not give a damn by then, way things are going. If you are a reseller, it won’t matter. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

3 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Didn't get stung at £800, but paid £640 for one, due to missing out on the day and seeing the high sale prices on ebay etc. Complete FOMO!

Really like the coin though, so I have bought a few more since, all the way down to £400 - even bought the Alderney PF70 set :) 

Looking forward to picking up a few 2nd releases to make up some matching pairs.

Longer term, I'm hoping the price appreciates enough for me to sell on, leaving me with a nice cheap pair for my collection.

I think you will do ok imho , if they don't reach £640+ in the next 12 months after 2nd release and graded ones reaching healthy prices on auctions etc then I'm going to make mine into knuckle dusters and start a fight with the postman ( he lands me in these predicaments)

Once all the spares get bought up by folks who actually want the coin then the tide will turn. 

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Yes. Good call there. :) 

18 minutes ago, James32 said:

I think you will do ok imho , if they don't reach £640+ in the next 12 months after 2nd release and graded ones reaching healthy prices on auctions etc then I'm going to make mine into knuckle dusters and start a fight with the postman ( he lands me in these predicaments)

Once all the spares get bought up by folks who actually want the coin then the tide will turn. 

Nice call. 
I was thinking if I got a 1kg I would hanging around my neck like da’ boss. ;) 😂 

1 hour ago, Silverman2U said:

I am picking up Gothic Crowns these days for ever decreasing prices

What was the highest price you paid, initially? £800+ 🤑

1 hour ago, Silverman2U said:

getting them around £400 a 2oz coin off eBay

What's the quality like? I am weary of taking the chance on there. I did buy one off a FB group and it worked out really well - assumed sellers on there knew about coins (how to handle, etc.)

Just now, Darr3nG said:

What was the highest price you paid, initially? £800+ 🤑

What's the quality like? I am weary of taking the chance on there. I did buy one off a FB group and it worked out really well - assumed sellers on there knew about coins (how to handle, etc.)

The benefit on eBay… if it’s c**p.. I send it back. Get my money, open a dispute. :) 

53 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well with respect I think you might have got a little stung considering one got sold at £380.00 🙄🙄🙄🙄

4 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Well with respect I think you might have got a little stung considering one got sold at £380.00 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I bought both at rrp, I assume you mean @Darr3nG

If he really  believes in the coin then that's subjective surely, absolutely worst case scenario he really likes the coin so is it really a loss?

We all have stuff that depreciated, life is too short for regrets in my opinion. 

If this coin does infact tank ,then what have we actually lost other than money that's depreciating almost as fast.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

My concern is why does the mint permit these other releases like the Alderney? Provided they keep production mainly (entirely)  in-house I think long term they will do fine. 
second concern is the mint do another release of the same coin, 10 to 15 years down the line. Not beyond the realms as I think marketing will not give a damn by then, way things are going. If you are a reseller, it won’t matter. 

Alderney imo havnt got the same class,production quality and mintage production of perfection as do the RM. E.G... listening to others comments they got the date totally wrong??? For starters...do not have the dies that come close to the quality of the RM!...I Guess it's like buying a Rolls Royce compared to a Ford Fiesta...😄😄😄😄😄😄

Edited by Samcrewsilverlover

2 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

Thoughts? 

You mopping up these from the week-handed flippers, IMHO is a very wise move indeed….a fool and ther money are easily parted! Do people not look at the bigger market? When I watched a 70 grade 2oz silver sell at Heritage this week for $3100, I thought folk would realise…but they haven’t…yet! Even after taking into account auction fees, that’s over £2000 in hand for the seller…yet people are parting with them for £400! 

I was tempted to buy a few myself off eBay at 4am in the morning (after the Heritage sale), but the ones on offer had ‘issues’ from what I could see…milk spots already!

I hope the ones you have bought get 69 or 70 grades, if you decide to go that route…your entrepreneurship deserves to be well rewarded👍.

59D5510F-3D11-4075-AF3B-819495E7C7CD.thumb.jpeg.dbb64ed71048ccd08b6719dd96adcf85.jpeg

And as for Alderney…why have cotton when you can have silk!

2 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

Nice call. 
I was thinking if I got a 1kg I would hanging around my neck like da’ boss. ;) 😂 

idiocracy.thumb.jpeg.8e6af30d032747628faa06f526cefee6.jpeg

Edited by ArgentSmith

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

That’s a good price!

I am tempted to keep buying em’ … then again I did that with Dogelon crypto. 😂… pretty much in the toilet 🚽