• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

CGT on gold proof coins-private sales

Jeffers46

Depends entirely on the coin. If it’s a U.K. Royal Mint release with a face value then this answers it quite nicely from atkinsons website.

“All coins produced by the Royal Mint that qualify as British legal currency are exempt from Capital Gains Tax. This includes all silver and gold Britannia coins and post-1837 gold sovereign coins, including proof sets. You can make unlimited tax-free profit on investments of any value on these coins.”

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/help-advice/capital-gains-tax-your-questions-answered

TLDR: If it’s a U.K. release by the Royal Mint with a face value then you’re fine.

(Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s my understanding of it).

Edited by Shep

The proof coin set exemption example seems like a grey area to me.

Of course the coins are exempt, but what about the fancy box and other presentation material they come with that forms an intrinsic part of their value?

Before you know it you'll have sneaky people making massive tax free profits by selling fancy expensive boxes as long as they bundle a single small CGT-exempt coin inside them.... wait, hang on a minute! :D https://www.royalmint.com/invest/bullion/bullion-coins/gold-coins/19-coin-sovereign-collection-case--1-coin/

The OP says this was a private sale. So no need to get into badges of trade.
As BYB says a UK taxpayer have a CGT allowance of £12,300 in the current year.
If the coin is a UK coin it is tax free. i think considering the box is unnecessary. You sold the coin. The box came with it. You say it was free. No-one can say it was anything else. If this is a private sale no-one knows exactly what you sold or how you sold it.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 hour ago, NewCoins said:

What exactly is a private sale?

If i sold you a bar of silver it would be a private sale. i am selling as a private individual, not as a business, not part of my trade. If Atkinson's sold you a silver bar this would be a business sale.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

57 minutes ago, sixgun said:

If i sold you a bar of silver it would be a private sale. i am selling as a private individual, not as a business, not part of my trade. If Atkinson's sold you a silver bar this would be a business sale.

So in theory, I could make millions per year making "private sales" of legal tender coins, and not pay a penny of any kind of tax ?

For earning above your tax free limit and not paying tax on it. Private or not you are making money, I work for myself, do you think I could get away without paying tax by saying it’s private!!

18 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

So in theory, I could make millions per year making "private sales" of legal tender coins, and not pay a penny of any kind of tax ?

Well if you were selling £millions in coins you would be buying and selling coins at some pace - that is what a trader would do. You would be defined as a business.
Exactly what the threshold is i don't know but £millions would go way over that threshold. If you buy coins with the intention of selling in the relatively near future and at a profit - you have stepped into the realm of a trader and then it becomes a business. When i buy metal i buy it if i think it is good value. i hope one day i will realise a profit on it but my primary goal is anything but a quick turnover.

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

For earning above your tax free limit and not paying tax on it. Private or not you are making money, I work for myself, do you think I could get away without paying tax by saying it’s private!!

There is no CGT on UK coins - so there is no limit. You are talking about your trade / business / living. Buying and selling a few coins as you develop a collection is not a living. 

Edited by sixgun

1 minute ago, Petra said:

Exactly. Which I think if anyone is doing it regularly, should consider the badges of trade.

If not, then I wouldn't worry.

It's clearly all subjective, but, the last thing anyone should want is HMRC investigating you.

2 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Well if you were selling £millions in coins you would be buying and selling coins at some pace - that is what a trader would do. You would be defined as a business.
Exactly what the threshold is i don't know but £millions would go way over that threshold. If you buy coins with the intention of selling at a profit - you have stepped into the realm of a trader and then it becomes a business.

There is no CGT on UK coins - so there is no limit. You are talking about your trade / business / living. Buying and selling a few coins as you develop a collection is not a living. 

I think that's the point of the badges of trade. When as a private individual, you should be considered a business/self employed for tax purposes

EDIT. I don't even think its about a threshold. It's about the behaviour. For example, I am going to buy this thing, sell it quickly with a view to making a profit. If for example you "improve it" by making it better (perhaps grading) and or borrowing money to make the purchases, then perhaps you tick more of the business boxes.

Edited by NewCoins

Thank you all for your most helpful comments.

I’ve had a good year in crypto and got a letter from HMRC after withdrawing to FIAT from coinbase. I’m really close to having to pay some CGT. It is an absolute nightmare trying to work out everything in the crypto world so I’m using an app that calculates it for you and produces a tax report. You are only taxed on the profit above that threshold, not the first £12,300. 

I sold my silver 2oz QB’s ten-coin set earlier in the year and my one ounce gold proof completer. Plus some £20 First World War silver coins. (Much to the annoyance of some on here it would seem 😂). All of my buyers were very happy. 

Do I have to let HMRC know and mention they are CGT free as stated on the RM’s and other websites? Or just exclude them altogether? 

22 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I suspect most people use up their tax free threshold on income/dividends etc.

Personal income tax is an entirely separate issue 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Personal income tax is an entirely separate issue 👍🏼

Indeed it is. The thread went a bit off in the direction of presumably being a business director.

If you are only worried about CGT it doesn't sound like you need to worry. I personally wouldn't say anything 

28 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

I sold my silver 2oz QB’s ten-coin set earlier in the year and my one ounce gold proof completer. Plus some £20 First World War silver coins. (Much to the annoyance of some on here it would seem 😂). All of my buyers were very happy. 

Do I have to let HMRC know and mention they are CGT free as stated on the RM’s and other websites? Or just exclude them altogether? 

i would say you don't need to mention your coin sales. This doesn't sound like the antics of a coin dealer. You sold a few coins from your collection. All of them were UK coinage. Nothing to see here.