• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gothic Crown 2oz

Richiesilver

Having missed the great engravers una/three graces and seen the price rise afterwards, I got the gothic at after market price which stayed fairly static for weeks only then to have the trading value go from £580 to less than £400 within days with the same seller. I mean, its bad luck and I don't sell silver ever 🤷 but did the other great engraver coins do somthing similar? Or is this one just destined to be the low value one?

Edited by Richiesilver

No one has a crystal ball here so you aren't ever going to get a definitive answer. Also the comparisons to the Una need to stop. The Una had a release that couldn't be much more different from the release of both the 3Gs and Gothic part 1. You'll never get the same result when flippers buy up all the stock and dump on the secondary market enmasse - something that didn't happen with the Una but will almost certainly happen with every other Great Engravers release because of the Una. 

You aren't alone though in what you paid for yours. I picked up a couple at around the £600 mark and have picked up a couple more around the £400 mark. It was predicted by many that prices would continue to fall when they were being sold for £600 and those predictions have played out. As to how they'll from here... again I can't offer a definitive answer but to me the value of these coins was only ever going to be as a two coin set and I still think the release of the second coin might boost the value of the first. I think you need to be in this one for the long term as you need to give a chance for the flippers to get rid of their stock and these to disappear into collections before you really see value tick back up. I suspect we could see prices go even lower as graded coins being dumped onto the market enmasse is something that is yet to come.

Its possible those of us who bought at these prices will face a loss - always a risk - but I'm still fairly confident in them long term especially as a set.

I do hope the price stabilises for people especially those who gambled on the hype and fear of missing out good luck with it all lads 

I can't be doing with the stress of these things and have stuck with gold 

I'm too paranoid about milking too which is inevitable 

I'm with Leon. Also been watching with interest but felt it was a huge premium. I do feel that in the long-run, those that hold on to them won't lose anything.

On a related note - and I know this is entirely subjective - but I've seen a lot of love for the new coin but it fell flat for me. For me, the beauty of the original Gothic crown wasn't fully translated due to the fact it's only really on one side. Having a standard Elizabeth II design on the other side just seems wrong to me. The original Victoria portrait with its gorgeous border and font is a thing of beauty and I personally would have at least liked to see some kind of nod to that in the new coin. At least use the font?! That might have been enough to lure me in :P

As someone mentioned in other threads, speculating proof coin is always risky coz of its premium.  However, if you love the coin n buy the designs, it will be fine.  I love 1847 Gothic Crown but cannot afford for it, so I like to have this modern Gothic Crown.  Due to region lock, i am unable to buy directly from RM, and my price is not cheap from secondary market as well😅.  I wish i can buy at GBP400 mark, but no one knows when you made the purchase.  Let's see how it will go when Gothic Crown obverse launch, and I am looking forward to complete a set.

Edited by Bruce06

13 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

I'm with Leon. Also been watching with interest but felt it was a huge premium. I do feel that in the long-run, those that hold on to them won't lose anything.

On a related note - and I know this is entirely subjective - but I've seen a lot of love for the new coin but it fell flat for me. For me, the beauty of the original Gothic crown wasn't fully translated due to the fact it's only really on one side. Having a standard Elizabeth II design on the other side just seems wrong to me. The original Victoria portrait with its gorgeous border and font is a thing of beauty and I personally would have at least liked to see some kind of nod to that in the new coin. At least use the font?! That might have been enough to lure me in :P

I think that fact that it is split across two coins is an advantage, you can look at both original sides at the same time!