• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Self Grading - NGC, Flips/capsules

I have graded a few coins before, and I am reasonably comfortable with the process, although the forms are a pain.

I am thinking about sending some for grading, then I am thinking I may as well send more than I planned, and perhaps some more I have due.

My question is related to packaging the coins to send. I normally leave them in the capsules (and the Rm box , even though they never return them) and I know NGC prefer you to put them in flips.

I do have some NGC flips, but I just can't bring myself to remove proof coins from the capsules and put them in flips. More so for larger coins.

So, my question is, do people generally send proof coins in their original capsules ? If I didn't want to send the original boxes for coin protection, any tips on packing coins in capsules ? Bubble wrap ? Taped to cardboard ?

Thanks !

Edited by NewCoins

• NewCoins changed the title to Self Grading - NGC, Flips/capsules

I've sent mine packaged in flips, then stacked and rubber banded together with the coins offset in the flips so they fit nicely together and limit movement. Then some bubble wrap in a trudy envelope. 

I do hate moving the coins into flips as they slip around in transit, but offsetting them feels a bit sturdier. I definitely wouldn't send coins in some of the newer capsules - the 2022 proof Sovereign capsules were terrible IMO!