• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

3oz Queens PLATINUM Jubilee Coin. limit 52.

@Silverman2U I have limited previous knowledge of Platinum, except for buying and flipping Bu 1oz Platinum Britannia coins and a couple of 1/4oz Britannia Proofs I picked up reasonably in a Royal Mint sale- for around half RRP.

The 1oz was just a spot play, the 1/4’s didn’t set the world alight- but made a profit- but I didn’t get anywhere near the RRP. 

@Jaconet & @cliveb13 & @kneehow2018 will have insights into Platinum.

The Platinum Jubilee issues  appear to be extremely popular and this has a minute mintage, but the amount of people interested in Platinum, as opposed to Gold will be minute too.

Im certainly not comparing eggs with eggs here- but this 3oz Platinum coin sold at the Coin Cabinet, looks like a spot play.

37FFF4D9-B75C-4603-85B0-BB6892B01164.thumb.png.44c0a13ca1ce5f664f1dc0c6b3dd3a33.png

Personally, I would be wary- but it looks like a wonderful Puedfort 👍 

Edited by richatthecroft

We (UK) aren’t a great place to sell these coins. I dare say if platinum prices move up these coins will be appreciated more for low mintage size and if they are graded 70 they’re a sight to behold.

the attached images are a sale at heritage on pf70 version of the coin rather than the Uk sale of pf69@richatthecroft posted. The selling price includes 20% bp but it’s over £6k. The other screenshots are from great collections where better prices can be achieved especially for attractive pf70 with low mintages

pm me if you have any follow ups

i have one of the 52

75A6C23F-84AF-4F3B-B4AE-1FFE07E0103E.thumb.png.4e941fd2d317992320bf7b45a4173d0e.png

6143577F-7117-488A-8E7A-B2AB43EEC719.png

BE9F435C-5B7C-4455-9EAC-F51F0184F3C6.png

Thanks @richatthecroft & @Silverman2U

i do have a platinum collection, and lovely, but it is not easily convertible to cash as there are very few buyers of Pt coins & bars. 
@Jaconetis also a Pt follower I know

i am a collector, not a trader, & my interest stems from the intrinsic metals & elements & the rarity & purity. 
I seriously doubt any of my Pt purchases can make £ except maybe the 2017 Krugerrand. But I am not selling so a loss, if it was so, is only theoretical. I also collect gold, special sovereigns & Palladium, almost of which show a theoretical gain, but academic really. 
Some have made ££ with Pt, but I doubt most have. 
my last 3oz Pt purchase was £2600 & that is a proof that someone paid a lot more for in the past. 
buy it cos you like the design. Buy it cos you love the metal. Don’t expect an easy flip I think but I am not an expert 

good luck, and interested to here the experiences of others. 
Now rhodium …. 
clive 

17 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Seeing the 1oz prices prices up around £3-3.6k range on eBay. 

There is a Pt Krugerrand on eBay for £4.2k 

I bought one four months & I didn’t pay anywhere near that. What is wanted & what is paid in Pt can be a big gap 

very nice piece you are interested in though 

The question to though is how many there are in the world. Queen has only one 70th Jubilee, only Queen in the history of U.K. and probably most of the worlds royal families to get this far… and there are only 52. :) 

1 hour ago, Jaconet said:

Imho

this £5 platinum piefort is a step above the ones which preceded it. Fabulous William iv design but also with special reverse, I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t setting highest prices in pf70

Yes I agree.

Just now, Silverman2U said:

Yes I agree too. 

2 hours ago, kneehow2018 said:

Thank you for the mention @richatthecroft - I particularly like the material and its potential as an industrial, however, I have no idea as to the market value of proofs. Last September I failed to achieve a little over £2k for an 'unboxed' PF69 Krug.

Kneehow, I was interested in that but wanted the box for display & bought an ungraded one for just a bit less. I was, and remain, happy with that but I am sure yours is very nice indeed. 

12 hours ago, cliveb13 said:

Kneehow, I was interested in that but wanted the box for display & bought an ungraded one for just a bit less. I was, and remain, happy with that but I am sure yours is very nice indeed. 

Good to hear @cliveb13..my comment was merely to reveal personal lack of knowledge regarding the proofs/ graded coins, and certainly not addressed to anyone I had privately discussed my potential sale with. Pleased to hear that prices are on the up! Good luck with the collection. 

Edited by kneehow2018

Hmmm. So got that 3oz platinum coin. Surprised it’s 3oz, feels smaller. Though it’s a lump for sure still! :) 

However given a list price of £5.3k I think it has a very light hairline scratch (located at 3 o’clock just inside the rim, about 4-5mm in length, next to “JB” initials which can only be seen at certain angles though. Back to the mint it will probably go. 😕 

Thoughts? 

Whilst there is only 52 I have noted that the mint does actually remind coins, wounder if that would do that on platinum.

Just got my 10x 2oz QB limited edition set back 4 months later after apparently re-minting apparently. 

41DB7E7A-2B4D-43F0-B3CB-0B2EF5F80515.jpeg

76017114-44E5-406C-843E-BCA3D062C95D.jpeg

B493650F-172C-45AD-BC98-45FE87043124.jpeg

Edited by Silverman2U

2 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

Hmmm. So got that 3oz platinum coin. Surprised it’s 3oz, feels smaller. Though it’s a lump for sure still! :) 

However given a list price of £5.3k I think it has a very light hairline scratch (located at 3 o’clock just inside the rim, about 4-5mm in length, next to “JB” initials which can only be seen at certain angles though. Back to the mint it will probably go. 😕 

Thoughts? 

Whilst there is only 52 I have noted that the mint does actually remind coins, wounder if that would do that on platinum.

Just got my 10x 2oz QB limited edition set back 4 months later after apparently re-minting apparently. 

41DB7E7A-2B4D-43F0-B3CB-0B2EF5F80515.jpeg

76017114-44E5-406C-843E-BCA3D062C95D.jpeg

B493650F-172C-45AD-BC98-45FE87043124.jpeg

Are you sure it's 3oz not 2oz?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

That platinum jubilee coin is a beautiful coin.  However, it's one that probably has a very limited collector market.

I love it.  But it's very pricey and there are a lot of things I would spend >£5k on before even considering one of these.

Personally I would buy this for the pleasure of ownership, rather than with a view to a future profit.

I have 6 oz of physical platinum bullion coins and don't really have any expectations of selling them for a profit.  

Received the platinum piedfort proof coin earlier this week.

When I was told I got the COA #25, I did not consider this number any special and even told the dealer I wish the number could be something like #1 or #52. Then a day later I started to remember in 19"52" The Queen ascended to the throne at age 25, and now I cherish this COA number a lot more.