• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do I/should I, unslab a slabbed coin?

Divmad

In my naive first purchases of Peace Dollars, back in 2008, I bought coins from the now defunct UK Grade Evaluation Company. Stupid me. I can see now that the high grades are fictitious, but the coins are still highly graded and attractive, imho. 

How best to sell them? Force open the case somehow, or sell them "as is" on here?IMG_20220118_123256144.thumb.jpg.f18995624427c88c93299bd33c1c01dd.jpgIMG_20220118_123238987.thumb.jpg.c3a20f2e63ecd6ca6d7323d847d8edb2.jpg 

Can't advise on whether to sell in or out of slab, maybe reach out to @DuncanWylieWilson @LukeStacker @MickD for advice ( they seem to sell/buy often.

As for opening...a dremel or multi tool will open that in no time with controlled destruction. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

The only one I ever liberated from a slab - I just used a hammer and chisel.  

1889 penny, bought very cheaply at an auction because nobody else bid on it.  Wasn't particularly looking to buy it, but it was a bargain for the price paid.  It looks nice alongside my other raw predecimal pennies.

if that dollar was mine - I'd either sell it on as it is (in the slab), or break it out of the slab and keep it.

I stand them on edge on a concrete surface and lightly tap along the seem with a hammer.  Do this to a couple of sides.  It then pops right out.  Might want to wear gloves and glasses.  As far as the coin goes, it is way over graded, but you probably knew that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only two slabbed coin graders that should not be opened are slabs from NGC and PCGS (there may be others that I'm unaware of).  Coins slabbed by these 2 companies "usually" keep their value or more if kept long enough.   I'm not familiar with "UK Grade Evaluation Company" as shown in the picture.  Personally if the coin came slabbed, I would just leave it as is.  Why potentially risk scratching or damaging the coin if you don't need to physically hold it.

Edited by SilverStorm

Do something different....roll video tape, fire up the blow torch and melt the edges off. Post on YT...would be a shoe in for 000's of views and might even generate enough views and ad $ to cover the cost of the original purchase 😄....Do it with some care and the coin should be fine.

20 hours ago, erv said:

As far as the coin goes, it is way over graded, but you probably knew that.

I believe the UK grading was out of 100 (which makes more sense). 

Whereas NGC and PCGS grading are out of 70.

This would explain why the coin in question was graded MS65. 

But I could be wrong ! 🤔

Might this be a case of someone creating their own company that slabs and sells its own coins? Can't find anything on the company after a quick search. The only UK based one that seems legitimate but unpopular is LCGS.

A rotary tool is the quickest precise way of opening a slab, or slicing through it with a heated blade, but as long as you're cautious near the coin itself it's only plastic so have at it. 

I would run over the edge with a car. No real reason.

On 21/01/2022 at 02:22, Oddjob said:

Do something different....roll video tape, fire up the blow torch and melt the edges off. Post on YT...would be a shoe in for 000's of views and might even generate enough views and ad $ to cover the cost of the original purchase 😄....Do it with some care and the coin should be fine.

Just Drexel along the very edge, they're sonically sealed so no hot plastic should even get near the coin..my lcs just flings them at the floor but we're talking au and under, ms and its vice time..I had a damaged ngc slab and sent it in to get restored and regraded, cost me $150 but was going to do it anyways so better them then me, when it comes to a $4000 coin.