• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How on Erath to know which one is silver? Please help.

theman73

Hi,

It's a bit difficult to say just based on these pictures. Often you would be able to identify it pretty quickly just by the feel of the weight of the coin - silver is heavier than metal alloys like cupronickel and if you've had a silver coin in hand before, you tend to notice the difference straight away.

This is not always the case with lower purity coins (think <50% silver coins) and can be tough if you haven't really handled silver before. One of the way I usually check is by searching for the designated coin on Numista. A way to search is to Google some coin specifications and add ''numista'' at the end, which usually sends any Numista page right to the top of the search results. For instance, on the picture I see a loose coin (bottom right) that says ''twentieth anniversary of coronation - two dollars 1973''. Search for that on Google and add ''numista'' at the end, and here goes your search result: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15743.html

So that specific coin seems to be silver, 25.7g of .925 to be precise. The only thing left then is to make sure that what you have on the table is the same as on the numista page; sometimes commemorative coins are created in both PM and non-PM, so things like weighing the coin or a diameter measurement comes in handy to confirm if you are not quite sure. It's a bit of a job but it's fairly accurate in lieu of actual testing with a device (like a sigma tester).

Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, Alex944 said:

For instance, on the picture I see a loose coin (bottom right) that says ''twentieth anniversary of coronation - two dollars 1973''. Search for that on Google and add ''numista'' at the end, and here goes your search result: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15743.html

Hmmm

I tried on this coin but didn't got any results.

Any idea?

20220118_133857.thumb.jpg.ea08e93d7d0679ec117cca5b9488e55a.jpg

20220118_133906.thumb.jpg.30c5c120413b7883ebede847c7908c55.jpg

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

16 minutes ago, theman73 said:

Hmmm

Any idea?

No luck for me so far. I am also unable to find anything remotely similar featuring Robert the bruce (either very old coinage or modern commemoratives that do not share similarity). Reverse image searching on Google also did not return anything similar to it. Is there any further information on the rim of the coin/medal? It may be that you have a medal (for lack of denomination) that is not well known, perhaps created by a private mint or something similar.

17 minutes ago, James32 said:

Those are dead handy for Chapel/church collection boxes 🙈

Well I took my new passion seriously so I bought the ''best'' tools.

But now I'm more confused then before

dancu.co.uk

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

🤣🤣🤣 it's a long road ahead but very enjoyable 

I love it to be honest but, I bought over 100 coins which I got them today and if every coin is taking so long to find it's value I'm doomed.

Look here:

20220118_145854.thumb.jpg.ec7165004f2b7f310c46fd78626b0d39.jpg

20220118_145902.thumb.jpg.fcac2970ec97ba571ca531b9374e40c1.jpg

After 10 minutes searching on internet I still have no idea how much to ask for it...

dancu.co.uk

4 minutes ago, theman73 said:

I love it to be honest but, I bought over 100 coins which I got them today and if every coin is taking so long to find it's value I'm doomed.

Look here:

20220118_145854.thumb.jpg.ec7165004f2b7f310c46fd78626b0d39.jpg

20220118_145902.thumb.jpg.fcac2970ec97ba571ca531b9374e40c1.jpg

After 10 minutes searching on internet I still have no idea how much to ask for it...

Windsor Mint have these for £30.00

Just now, Gordy said:

Windsor Mint have these for £30.00

took me 1 minute 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, theman73 said:

Hmmm

Any idea?

20220118_133857.thumb.jpg.ea08e93d7d0679ec117cca5b9488e55a.jpg

20220118_133906.thumb.jpg.30c5c120413b7883ebede847c7908c55.jpg

1974 John Pinches Sterling Silver round 25g +

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Hi theman73, there is a handy little app called coinoscope, its free in the app store and it will help you with identifying. Simple as pionting the camera at and snapping a pic, if its in their database you will instantly get the deatils, makeup, weight alll that malarky. There is also an estimate value option, how accurate that is I cannot say.

Anyhow, best of luck with the search and hopefully you do find something nice in there.

5 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

Hi theman73, there is a handy little app called coinoscope, its free in the app store and it will help you with identifying. Simple as pionting the camera at and snapping a pic, if its in their database you will instantly get the deatils, makeup, weight alll that malarky. There is also an estimate value option, how accurate that is I cannot say.

Anyhow, best of luck with the search and hopefully you do find something nice in there.

Must check that out myself. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, TheDoc said:

In otherwords you are thinking ....."Whats the most obscure coin I have, and will it identify it" ......😆

I hope it is of some use to you. 

Tbh I stay clear of older/vintage stuff because I have no experience/knowledge.....but you may have just sent me down another rabbit hole😂

I like to buy the pre-dip dip