• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Did the Queen Have a Fall? - On This Coin She Has Facial Scars - Stitches?

2021elizabethii2ozsilvercompleterSCRATCHEDwithoverlayshowingindentationduringstrikingcrop.thumb.jpg.83df3b6e5509a0903d6f38d600256345.jpg

The coin is a 2021 UK Silver 2 Ounce Completer.

The overlay shows indentations caused during striking or heavy bagmarking from the milled edge of another coin.

It looks like she needed to have stitches.

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

Oh dear, I might be guilty of "clickbait".

😎

But I was more or less passing on our photographer's comments.

🤣🤣🤣 I thought for a split second that the gothic in March ( portrait ) was going to have Charles on it 🙈

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

🤣🤣🤣 I thought for a split second that the gothic in March ( portrait ) was going to have Charles on it 🙈

There is an established tradition of continuing with the monarch's portrait on UK coins, after his/her death, for the full year, before changing portraits.

If a monarch died late in the year, it might even mean continuing with his/her portrait for the early part or even the whole of the next year.

Chards

21 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There is an established tradition of continuing with the monarch's portrait on UK coins, after his/her death, for the full year, before changing portraits.

If a monarch died late in the year, it might even mean continuing with his/her portrait for the early part or even the whole of the next year.

Well as the saying goes....you're never to old to learn👍

That's actually very interesting and helpful to know.

Genuinely was oblivious to that.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

10 hours ago, James32 said:

Well as the saying goes....you're never to old to learn👍

That's actually very interesting and helpful to know.

Genuinely was oblivious to that.

Of course, traditions are not necessarily hard and fast rules, and changes can and do occur.

For example, gold sovereigns were traditionally struck in 22ct YELLOW gold, and looked like the gold coins they were. Now they look more like copper coins, which they are not. I still do not know or understand how and why this happened, so must continue to guess until such time as I manage to discover more. Mabe it was a misunderstanding of tradition, rather than a deliberate change. Perhaps it's a Royal Mint tradition not to reveal things like this, or to admit to errors. Can tradition be restored in this case?

😎

Chards

On 15/01/2022 at 10:14, LawrenceChard said:

Of course, traditions are not necessarily hard and fast rules, and changes can and do occur.

For example, gold sovereigns were traditionally struck in 22ct YELLOW gold, and looked like the gold coins they were. Now they look more like copper coins, which they are not. I still do not know or understand how and why this happened, so must continue to guess until such time as I manage to discover more. Mabe it was a misunderstanding of tradition, rather than a deliberate change. Perhaps it's a Royal Mint tradition not to reveal things like this, or to admit to errors. Can tradition be restored in this case?

😎

The Sovs are pink now, because a ton of copper is cheaper than a ton of silver. 8.3% silver is may not much on a single Sovereign. But 8.3% silver of the mintage is a lot of money they save now, using only copper.  

6 hours ago, dikefalos said:

The Sovs are pink now, because a ton of copper is cheaper than a ton of silver. 8.3% silver is may not much on a single Sovereign. But 8.3% silver of the mintage is a lot of money they save now, using only copper.  

I know, but we did a costing analysis a few months ago.

8.3% silver would make great looking sovereigns, but as little as 0.4% would still make them look far better than they do now.

From memory, I think that works out at about 7 pence per coin, which is peanuts compared with the extra demand and satisfaction this would create.

I am still awaiting a substantive response from the Royall Mint on the subject. 

Chards

On 14/01/2022 at 16:58, LawrenceChard said:

2021elizabethii2ozsilvercompleterSCRATCHEDwithoverlayshowingindentationduringstrikingcrop.thumb.jpg.83df3b6e5509a0903d6f38d600256345.jpg

The coin is a 2021 UK Silver 2 Ounce Completer.

The overlay shows indentations caused during striking or heavy bagmarking from the milled edge of another coin.

It looks like she needed to have stitches.

😎

Should see her on the 2019 pig privy britannia, but then my 2021 morgan liberty has a nasty Harrison Ford chin scar.