• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I Wouldn't Buy Silver

Junior

2 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

you've already missed your chance to be a genius(that was two years ago when it hit ~$9 usd).

for what purpose and return on investment is silver currently a bargain at $30 canadian?

HH

Sure Hawk, silver was $9 USD two years ago. Did you buy some at that price? I’d be calling you a liar if you told me yes because I tried to buy some at that price. No one was selling physical at that price. It was $18 USD and they still told you that you had to wait 6 weeks to get it. 

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Don't remember silver hitting $9 in 2021?

Oh it did in USD briefly, but it was 2020. ($11 or $12 CAD), but you couldn’t get the physical at that price. The physical was double that. No one would sell you the silver at that price.

Edited by Junior

Too busy buying gold at 5000 year highs

Edited by ArgentSmith
typo

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

2 minutes ago, Junior said:

Oh it did in USD briefly ($11 or $12 CAD), but you couldn’t get the physical at that price. The physical was double that. No one would sell you the silver at that price.

2021?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

2021?

No, HH and I are referencing the March 2020 crash where everything including silver tanked. Silver bottomed at $9 or so in USD. But, you could not buy the physical for that price. No one holding it would sell it. They charged you double and you either paid it or you waited. If you waited, silver shot up in the months that followed and then you felt stupid for watching in sail by and up in 2020. Now the price is stabilized, but I think for the last time. I doubt it will ever fall below that price again. 

holding the actual metal is normally a poor investment .. costs/risks.  no yield..  VAT...   capital gains if you are big punter, unless you buy the more expensive 'per ounce' coins...

But its a great hobby , and as mentioned the physical never goes down to the paper price..  and should the glorious day come,   the paper price may well trade over the physical as they can't find the metal for settlement 

42 minutes ago, Junior said:

Sure Hawk, silver was $9 USD two years ago. Did you buy some at that price? I’d be calling you a liar if you told me yes because I tried to buy some at that price. No one was selling physical at that price. It was $18 USD and they still told you that you had to wait 6 weeks to get it. 

nope, but I'm not the one calling the current price a bargain.(also I'm not exactly a genius :) ).

how about any time between 2014-2020 when silver was priced below this bargain price?

you didn't say what is the return on investment that makes the current price such a bargain?

HH

25 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

nope, but I'm not the one calling the current price a bargain.(also I'm not exactly a genius :) ).

how about any time between 2014-2020 when silver was priced below this bargain price?

you didn't say what is the return on investment that makes the current price such a bargain?

HH

Well if you want to talk in regards to low price here and low price there, then I will accommodate you. How about the low prices of the early 1900s when silver was 45 cents ($0.45 USD) per ounce?

Sorry to burst the obvious bubble, but if you weren’t born then and still alive now, that ship has sailed.

So let’s talk reality. Can you go back in time (2014-2020) and re-buy or buy some more? No. So let’s try talking present and future only. For someone jumping into the market now, today, for the first time ever, silver prices are a bargain. If you tell them to wait til the prices fall back to the prices of the past, they’ll be dead and still waiting.

That’s why my stance on the current price of silver is that it is a bargain. Might not be for someone like yourself, holding and hoping for prices of the past. But for a new collector/stacker, the perfect price to jump in (right after the downslope from 2021).

P.S. @HawkHybrid I thoroughly enjoy it when you comment. My posts would be slightly dull without you ❤️

Edited by Junior

6 minutes ago, Junior said:

That’s why my stance on the current price of silver is that it is a bargain. Might not be for someone like yourself, holding and hoping for prices of the past. But for a new collector/stacker, the perfect price to jump in (right after the downslope from 2021).

so you don't have any return on investment data to back up your claim of silver being a bargain.

HH

14 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

so you don't have any return on investment data to back up your claim of silver being a bargain.

HH

Do you have any data to suggest that it isn’t other than the old “it used to be cheaper back in my day” mentality?

Joking aside, if you are looking for my books on when I bought, the price I bought at, the day I sold, the price I sold at, and the profits I’ve made, I’m sorry. Those books are reserved for only the CRA (the tax man). 🙂

37 minutes ago, Junior said:

Do you have any data to suggest that it isn’t other than the old “it used to be cheaper back in my day” mentality?

only those lost in the past cling onto old data.

absolute values such as $30, being too cheap?, too expensive? have no value in the changing world

that we live in. I never once said 'it used to be cheaper back in my day' because it's not relevant.

what I asked was have you worked it out what the value of your projected return on investment is if

you were to buy now at $30 or is that a too unimportant a bit of information?

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

30 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

what I asked was have you worked it out what the value of your projected return on investment is if

you were to buy now at $30 or is that a too unimportant a bit of information?

Wouldn’t the value of my projected return on investment depend on when I decide to sell in the future? Or are you looking for a particular price point at which I would sell if I bought at $30?

Either way, that’s my business, but for $200 CAD an hour, I can refer you to a great consultant 🙂

47 minutes ago, Junior said:

Wouldn’t the value of my projected return on investment depend on when I decide to sell in the future? Or are you looking for a particular price point at which I would sell if I bought at $30?

Either way, that’s my business, but for $200 CAD an hour, I can refer you to a great consultant 🙂

for example with hindsight(or foresight at the time) the projected return on investment in gold

from 2015-2020 would have been 8-10% on average per year.

it requires a little insight into what prices you are expecting in the future and more importantly

when it's likely to occur in the future.

not some bs about now being the time to buy silver because it has dropped or even more bs about

how valuable silver is against random goods and services. you don't even have any idea of a price

target let alone a time frame for silver to reach that price target. you are clueless about silver so I

don't know why you are telling people to buy silver now.

HH

14 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

for example with hindsight(or foresight at the time) the projected return on investment in gold

from 2015-2020 would have been 8-10% on average per year.

it requires a little insight into what prices you are expecting in the future and more importantly

when it's likely to occur in the future.

not some bs about now being the time to buy silver because it has dropped or even more bs about

how valuable silver is against random goods and services. you don't even have any idea of a price

target let alone a time frame for silver to reach that price target. you are clueless about silver so I

don't know why you are telling people to buy silver now.

HH

Actually, to correct your short look into the past, gold has had a much longer run than the mere time frame you have proposed (2015-2020). Gold has actually averaged 8-10% for 17 of the last 20 years.

And to correct you good sir, I challenge you to find any one individual whom I directly stated should buy silver and right now. You will find not a single person as I do not dictate what others should do. What you will find successfully is that I have stated today that the price you see will not drop in favour much more and thus it is a good time to buy. Saying it’s a good time to buy and telling others to explicitly buy are of two different realms.

This is the daily spot silver chart from IG. It shows the $11 and something low in March 2020 when the EFP blow up occurred.

image.thumb.png.533060d82f03121c25f7fb2b386b28e4.png

You would have been extremely lucky to get physical at these prices - it was a time when you would be lucky to get hold of physical. Those were the days my friends - days when the great Wonga was on the forum. When he was calling for silver to fall to $3 or $4 for an nanosecond or something similar. Calling for crashes in gold and silver. Wonga say he go down hard was a phrase used by some people, in the best possible taste of course. Such fun and games on the forum - putting Wonga on and off ignore or Wongo as i must have been calling him at that time. Happier times perhaps.

image.png.2ea92cda44314ab956086cb28fe58f40.png

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I thought the original post caused me to think a little. Unlike a house, silver doesn't need upkeep. Unlike a car, silver doesn't need an MOT. Unlike a dishwasher, silver does not need replacing. Look at the real cost of things and the real cost of silver, then you might see things differently.

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

This is the daily spot silver chart from IG. It shows the $11 and something low in March 2020 when the EFP blow up occurred.

image.thumb.png.533060d82f03121c25f7fb2b386b28e4.png

You would have been extremely lucky to get physical at these prices - it was a time when you would be lucky to get hold of physical. Those were the days my friends - days when the great Wonga was on the forum. When he was calling for silver to fall to $3 or $4 for an nanosecond or something similar. Calling for crashes in gold and silver. Wonga say he go down hard was a phrase used by some people, in the best possible taste of course. Such fun and games on the forum - putting Wonga on and off ignore or Wongo as i must have been calling him at that time. Happier times perhaps.

image.png.2ea92cda44314ab956086cb28fe58f40.png

stupidly rigid as usual. only stupid people looked at the price drop in march 2020 and thought I cannot buy

physical at these prices... I will let the opportunity pass and then make the excuse that it was impossible

to buy silver and that I was right. those that are a little more flexible in their thinking will have realised that

stupid people claiming 'physical silver is the only way to buy silver' is not the way to go. buying silver by

taking out a paper position would have let you take advantage of the dips. just because you are too stupid

to think past only buying physical silver it doesn't mean the whole world is stupid like you.

if you rigidly live in the past then expect to miss out on current opportunities.

HH

2 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Not convinced calling others stupid makes you look that smart TBH

HH is always right..... apparently thats why hes on my ignore list.....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

11 hours ago, Junior said:

Actually, to correct your short look into the past, gold has had a much longer run than the mere time frame you have proposed (2015-2020). Gold has actually averaged 8-10% for 17 of the last 20 years.

it's called doing the maths so that you can compare the likely return on investment.

11 hours ago, Junior said:

What you will find successfully is that I have stated today that the price you see will not drop in favour much more and thus it is a good time to buy. Saying it’s a good time to buy and telling others to explicitly buy are of two different realms.

something that you don't currently have with your hand waving 'it's a good time to buy silver'.

the same as I told wonga that he doesn't know what he's on about with his 'silver will plummet to $4'

you don't know what you are on about with your 'it's a good time to buy silver' and you are so vague,

you don't even have a price target.

HH

11 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Not convinced calling others stupid makes you look that smart TBH

I didn't call him stupid, he made a stupid post on how impossible it was to take advantage of the 2020 dip.

if you are going to be stupid about it then it's going to be impossible.

he was being purposely provocative with all of his fancy charts yada, yada. everybody can see the charts

but apparently not everybody can see that sticking rigidly to physical silver was not the way to take

advantage of the dip.

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid