• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which to go for (in terms of likely appreciation): 2022 bullion double sovereign or . . .?

RDHC

Really as per title, except that for me the most obvious alternative would be one of the more unusual half ounce gold Britannias ( a bit more expensive but you get more gold), for example the 2005 one, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Thank you  for your thoughts.

For me it's a double Sovereign over a Half Britannia anytime and there might be one or 2 members here sharing this view. I wouldn't speculate on appreciation. Personally however, my favourite roughly half ounce coin is a pre 33 10 Dollar, Indian Head or not. I wouldn't recommend it though, living in the UK, maybe it's different in the US but here it has a premimum well over that of that of a half Britannia or Double Sovereign. Just a personal quirk.

My collection/stack is almost all bullion and no proof.  You're right from a financial point of view but I'd rather have more physical gold and more variety.  I'm a long-term holder for the pleasure of ownership.  Financial gain is welcome, but secondary for me.

Well done though for the coins you've secured over the last three years in particular - very smart decisions!

In term of appreciation, it is difficult to say.

Actual value of 2022 double sovereign bullion is @£670. If you expect to double your money in five years, I don't think it is possible with a regular bullion. 

I would buy a proof to have a chance, as @Paul said, but my bet is for silver.

With £670 you can buy one kilo bullion bar from forum (@£20.84/oz) or 30 x 1oz Britannia and in five years I think it is possible to double your money. 

For short term, flipping style, only with proofs coins in high demand you can make good money, but only if you are lucky. It is a dangerous trap there and is out of my knowledge.

A chunky silver bar it is anytime more safe than a fancy and trendy coin.

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

13 hours ago, RDHC said:

Thank you  for your thoughts.

I think half oz kind of size is the worst of both worlds... I'd sooner get 2 sovs than a double, heard that from a couple of dealers also and generally on the forum it seems true watching sales listings. I'd perhaps buy one double but wouldn't stack them like full sovs 

13 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

Whatever you go for, avoid this new and very ugly piece of gold - 1/100 ounce for 29 Euros(!

Whatever you go for, avoid this new and very ugly piece of gold - 1/100 ounce for 29 Euros(!)

image.thumb.png.4dd32cb369d01a3fa214692d89c391a1.png

I didn’t realise Elton John was popular in Germany

Whatever you go for, avoid this new and very ugly piece of gold - 1/100 ounce for 29 Euros(!)

image.thumb.png.4dd32cb369d01a3fa214692d89c391a1.png

I have to get this for my mother in law. She looks like this. Is there a quicksilver or uranium variation with a necklace? I would go for a 10 OZ.

Controversial, but what about quarter sovereigns?

Sure, 8x quarters have a higher premium than 1x double sovereign, but that would also be true when you sell them.

If gold is more expensive in the future, these will become the new entry point, plus in your favour you will have the added effect of the one-off 2022 design and the fact that not every year had a bullion quarter.

I think that people sometimes forget about what people can afford. Quarter sovereigns etc obviously have a higher premium, however some people just want an odd coin that they can afford and keep hold of. I imagine that’s why companies like Hatton do so well with some of their very small coins!

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

IMO buy single sovs, especially the 2022

the double sovs tend to be more expensive to buy and are more difficult to sell.

anyone looking for bullion at the moment, the 2022 sov is a no brainer

I agree with the full sov opinion, but it seems every man and his dog is buying the 2022. I can't see it gaining any more value other than it's value in gold. I may be wrong

1 minute ago, SovereignBishop said:

I agree with the full sov opinion, but it seems every man and his dog is buying the 2022. I can't see it gaining any more value other than it's value in gold. I may be wrong

Conversely, it's hard to imagine it ever being worth less than a "normal" one.

Has anyone managed to obtain a 2022 sovereign to hold ?
Noticed that Atkinsons state no stock so did they all sell or are they waiting on delivery from the RM
I pre-ordered my single sovereign from Harrington a while back - has anyone received or have an estimated delivery date yet ?

Edited by Pete