• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading advice for ancient silver coins

stackerp5

A question open to all, but directed specifically at people who have graded coins or ancient coins.

I'm considering sending some silver denarii for grading. My thought process is I should send all 5 for grading simply because of their age and the fact I'd like to verify authenticity. However, I've been reading around and some websites and people suggest only the best examples are supposed to be sent out for grading.

I'd also be using the Standard service for all 5 as I would like full attribution, etc and as much detail on the label as possible. Am I wasting money sending all five or do you think it's worth the price? Economy would be better or is the Standard grading service good? Might I do a mix and send the best looking one for a Standard grading and the not-so-good ones as Economy?

I've attached pictures below. 

tsf2.jpg

tsf1.jpg

Edited by stackerp5

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

52 minutes ago, Seasider said:

They won't grade a modern coin if it is a fake.  Hopefully the same applies to ancient coins.

But are you sure that they really check the coins on being real ? I mean by grading them they check them so a bad fake will be obvious but things like the weight, magnetic test, ...; do they check things like that ? I'm just wondering because I watched some youtube videos over fake graded coins. Most were probably fake slabbed coins but one was 100% real graded.

17 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

A little bit off topic but also still on topic: " Does a grader also checks that the coins are genuine ( in this case Roman coins from that era ) or does he just looks at the condition of the coins ?"

I've looked through the site and found this:

Standard

Coins receive full attribution, are weighed, and are analyzed for grade, strike, surface and style.

After reading around more and searching "ngc and fake ancient coins" on DuckDuckGo, I found the following link which states at the bottom:

• Authenticity — NGC Ancients will only grade coins that it believes to be genuine. Authenticity and attribution represent the opinion of NGC Ancients and are not guaranteed, nor is any guarantee implied. Please see the NGC Ancients Coin Grading Guarantee for complete information.

"NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders." - https://www.ngccoin.com/specialty-services/ancient-coins/guarantee.aspx

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

3 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

I've looked through the site and found this:

Standard

Coins receive full attribution, are weighed, and are analyzed for grade, strike, surface and style.

After reading around more and searching "ngc and fake ancient coins" on DuckDuckGo, I found the following link which states at the bottom:

• Authenticity — NGC Ancients will only grade coins that it believes to be genuine. Authenticity and attribution represent the opinion of NGC Ancients and are not guaranteed, nor is any guarantee implied. Please see the NGC Ancients Coin Grading Guarantee for complete information.

"NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders." - https://www.ngccoin.com/specialty-services/ancient-coins/guarantee.aspx

So they grade something but don't guarantee that it's real ...

44 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

So they grade something but don't guarantee that it's real ...

By the looks of it... Appears so. But their NGC Ancients appeared to be experienced and skilled.