• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay Global Shipping Advice/Info

Having sold items on ebay, I have always stuck to UK only sales. I have had a quick scan over previous ebay topics but didn't find any specifically on selling abroad via GSP and so I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on selling internationally/GSP. Some questions on my mind are as follows:

First and foremost, are there any pitfalls to avoid? I guess there's always risk when it comes to selling, but maybe there's ways to reduce exposure to such problems. I have read in a previous thread that maybe avoid shipping to Japan these days?

Should all international sales go through global shipping program? Are you insured for PM via GSP, in either bullion or collectibles?

Are there any advantages? Does it increase the chances of making a sale, for example lesser demand items that may benefit from more views? Or does it increase the chance of items selling for higher prices, like maybe British items that are wanted abroad?

Is it simply better to stick to UK sales? 

Thanks for your time to read this guys. Any thoughts would be appreciated 

The gap system is great, I have sent stuff all over. The initial sale is a little slower, but once done you just print off a label as normal and send it to their centre. Found out how much some were stung for postage by ebay it was eye watering! All you pay is normal postage for UK. Up to you but I stopped paying for signed for as if anything did happen uk side you will never find out who supposedly signed for it. Overall very good for sales. Once the box is ticked, all international sales will go through this system unless it is some strange place not even on their list!

Thanks @Petra. I'm more inclined to try GSP on my next listings.

One more thought, supposing someone tried to claim you sent them an empty box or a similar scam, would GSP still cover you then? I assume they don't open the parcel or anything. Maybe still best to get footage of packing the item before sending it across the world in good faith...

I make part of my living on ebay and would guestimate that about 15%ish of my sales are GSP sales. I'll try to address your questions in the order asked.

The only real pitfall I could think of would be failing to put the number on the package that identifies what the item is and where it is going. If printing labels direct from ebay or via Royal Mail you don't have to worry so much about this as the address will include the number. If you're writing it out just ensure you write it down as it is given to you. Without the number they won't be able to ID the package and I suspect it would just get sent back to you or discarded.

Only ever send something internationally through the GSP. Now I've personally used my discretion a few times and sent an inexpensive large letter sized item internationally to the odd buyer with good reputation who is just looking to save a few ££s (the GSP really is very uneconomical for smaller inexpensive items) but these days I wouldn't entertain the idea of sending larger or more expensive items any other way. The best thing about the GSP is that once the items reach the UK warehouse for forwarding your liability is done. No one can put in a false claim against you trying to say it didn't arrive or arrived damaged, etc. All that becomes ebays problem to sort out. You should of course ensure items are well packed and ensure items are insured between you and the forwarding warehouse but once there you are done.

As above GSP sales make up 15ish % of my ebay sales so sales I presumably wouldn't have without it. I think its also very adventagous for items that are available here but not abroad.

I'm not sure when it started but its been going for some years now and I've not had a single problem with international sales since I started using it. I've had the odd person try it on saying they didn't get the item or whatever and I just refer them to ebay customer service and generally never hear anything about it again. I think for sellers its a great system.

Cheers @AppleZippoandMetronome Is there any countries you would exclude for whatever reason? What's with the Japan concerns, are they already excluded from GSP? A couple weeks ago I was contacted by a US buyer asking if I would ship to Japan. As a standard UK listing, I declined without much consideration.

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

One more thought, supposing someone tried to claim you sent them an empty box or a similar scam, would GSP still cover you then? I assume they don't open the parcel or anything. Maybe still best to get footage of packing the item before sending it across the world in good faith...

I'm talking from a buyers point of view here pal, US specifically I NEVER buy stuff through the global shipping programme its a complete rip off. You are by default using a middleman/company to do stuff that is totally unnecessary, I always ask the seller to send by USPS or whatever, its far cheaper. As an example if you buy a gold coin there is no VAT due on entry to the UK but GSP automatically charges you VAT then you will have all the grief of trying to battle with UK customs to get the incorrectly charged VAT back. Best steer clear of GSP IMHO.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

1 minute ago, SilverPlatinum said:

I'm from Canada and I find eBay GSP to be expensive!

Please give an option for people to request direct shipping.

For example shipping a GBP30 coin to Canada should not cost more than GBP2.5 using Royal Mail Standard.

Thanks.

But for a more expensive item,  perhaps it is best to get the added protection of GSP? 🤷‍♂️ idk, It's all new to me outside of UK

GSP is really only beneficial to the seller, postage, liability everything. I am sure that if you are buying through it, then there are cheaper postage options. I have sent pottery from UK to Japan and my postage was around £5, buyer was around £80! As much as the item!

5 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Yes you will be covered so long as your tracking to the Ebay GSP centre is sound. My last sale to a buyer in the US was allegedly opened on route and the coin stolen. I had RN SD tracking to the GSP centre and got my sale money no issues; Ebay coveerd the refund to the buyer. Whether they chased the shipping/mail company in the States I've no idea.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...