• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Coin of the Year results 2021

Royal Mint have announced the results of their coin of the year poll. Just wondering what some of the members here would have voted for? 

I'd probably go with the Queens Beasts 1oz Silver Proof Completer or the Gothic Crown 2oz Gold Proof but I didn't get to see a lot of the RM coins in hand.

I think the H.G. Wells coin was the most disappointing as it had a lot of potential to be interesting but really just did a disservice to the author with that four legged tripod.

As someone that has bought from the Royal Mint, is on the email notification list and I do visit the website regularly, I do wonder how people participated in this poll, because I have not seen any information about it!

The top 10 coins as voted for are:

1) £5 BU Completer

2) 50p BU Decimal Day

3) £5 BU Queen's 95th Birthday

=4) 5oz Silver Proof Gothic

=4) £5 BU Remembrance

6) £5 BU Prince Philip

7) 50p BU Insulin

8) 2022 Gold Proof Sovereign

9) 50p BU Team GB

10) 2021 50p BU coloured Snowman

It does seem strange that the Gothic coin and the 2022 Sovereign did not come higher, but maybe this was because they were released late in the year?

Edited by Zhorro
typo

I thought it was surprising the sovereign and crown weren’t higher up the list but then again the 50p and £5 are more affordable and for the masses, people I know who don’t really like coins still collect 50ps etc

3 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Was surprised to see the Gothic Crown in 4th place? I've seen alot of comments from people saying it was the best coin this year...

Any opinions why it didn't make the No:1 slot?

Maybe because its a remake and not original design?

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

As someone that has bought from the Royal Mint, is on the email notification list and I do visit the website regularly, I do wonder how people participated in this poll, because I have not seen any information about it!

The top 10 coins as voted for are:

1) £5 BU Completer

2) 50p BU Decimal Day

3) £5 BU Queen's 95th Birthday

=4) 5oz Silver Proof Gothic

=4) £5 BU Remembrance

6) £5 BU Prince Philip

7) 50p BU Insulin

😎 2022 Gold Proof Sovereign

9) 50p BU Team GB

10) 2021 50p BU coloured Snowman

It does seem strange that the Gothic coin and the 2022 Sovereign did not come higher, but maybe this was because they were released late in the year?

I had no idea anything was was going on until it was over. Not the first time that’s happened with the Royal Mint emails. 😆

24 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Was surprised to see the Gothic Crown in 4th place? I've seen alot of comments from people saying it was the best coin this year...

Bare in mind this won it last year, at which point the competition lost all credibility imo. 

F9B36691-456D-4075-AD6B-21C7C11E3DC9.jpeg.89f568d696c8f81070b0fca5237640e2.jpeg

even this year, although I have no issue with the completer winning it, the £5 BU wasnt the choice of the range.

that the insulin, the prince philip and the remembrance coin come in above the sovereign makes this years competition almost as farcical, imo 🙂

12 hours ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

The views on this forum are probably not particularly representative of the complete population of RM customers.

I can imagine many people only voting for coins they have actually bought or seen - and the high prices, low mintages, and quick sellouts of what we consider to be the best coins all work against that.

Do not underestimate the popularity of 50p and cupronickel bunc collecting!

😀

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

The views on this forum are probably not particularly representative of the complete population of RM customers.

I can imagine many people only voting for coins they have actually bought or seen - and the high prices, low mintages, and quick sellouts of what we consider to be the best coins all work against that.

😀

Yes, the 50p and cupronickel collectors, simillar to Euro collectors aren't just a couple guys, it's a huge community.

Can't speak for last years decision, but it looks strange. The year the 3G came out to vote the Diversity coin. But the Completer is in my eyes the coin of the year. Not only by the RM, but in general. 

The QB completer is the single most spectacular coin I have seen, for years, from the Royal Mint. Waiting for the Royal Tudor Beasts completer🤗🥳  (The Gothic Crown looks really good but I do not feel that I missed out on it🤔)

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

How many Forum members participated in this poll?

Maybe next year someone could publicise the poll on the Forum?

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

😀

I did have a large collection of 50p's Silver and Bunc..sold them all as didn't think they would rise much in value in the coming years and diversified into Gold..maybe I might have been too hasty..

2 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

I did have a large collection of 50p's Silver and Bunc..sold them all as didn't think they would rise much in value in the coming years and diversified into Gold..maybe I might have been too hasty..

Even circulated Jemima Puddle-duck 50ps have outperformed both gold and silver by quite a lot! (+5,000% in 5 years)

Possibly easier to shift than sovereigns, too 😀

8 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Even circulated Jemima Puddle-duck 50ps have outperformed both gold and silver by quite a lot! (+5,000% in 5 years)

Possibly easier to shift than sovereigns, too 😀

Well I posted 20 50p's on ebay...all diff from Olympics  to jem Puddleduck  etc..no one wants them 🙄

The completer is the coin of the year for sure but the proof version - preferably gold proof - not the BU. I get that the BU will inevitably have wider appeal and actually appear in more peoples hands but so much of the beauty of that coin is lost without the frosted features of the proof.