• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Strike on the Day Sovereign information

westminstrel

Hey everyone, I’ve heard that the 2022 SotD Sovereign to be released on February 6 2022 will once again have a matte finish and plain edge. The design will be the same as the Proof Sovereign. The mintage is supposed to be 1200.

Haven’t yet heard of any other special Sovereign to be released - I have been hoping (like some others here) for a platinum Sovereign... I still have hopes. 😅

Edited by westminstrel

57 minutes ago, JJH said:

I'm just curious about how SOTD's DAY is determined?

King George VI died on February 6 1952 and therefore that was the day of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne. So 2022 is the Platinum Jubilee Year of Accession.

The Coronation was a year later on June 2 1953. So 2023 will be the Platinum Jubilee Year of Coronation.

Edited by westminstrel

2 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Thanks! 6th Feb is a Sunday, does the Royal Mint also launch new item on weekends?

They’ll probably have these on sale a week or so before and make it clear that the coins will be struck on the Sunday of Feb 6 and dispatched thereafter.

If I recall correctly, an SotD “day” has fallen on a Saturday before. I don’t recall one falling on a Sunday - guess some RM folks will have to be paid overtime / weekend rates (if that’s a thing in the UK). 😀

13 hours ago, JJH said:

I'm just curious about how SOTD's DAY is determined?

Sun Feb 6th, 2022 is National Yorkshire Pudding Day, Dump Your Significant Jerk Day, National Frozen Yogurt Day, National Lame Duck Day... and much more!

But...

On February 6, 1952, after a long illness, King George VI of Great Britain and Northern Ireland dies in his sleep at the royal estate at Sandringham

See other responses.

😎

Chards

7 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

Any guesses on how quickly it will sell out? 

I think it will be a sell out as it has a lot going for it.

It has the same Royal Coat of Arms design as the Proof Sovereign, a much lower mintage at 1,200, and of course is matte and plain edge which is always lovely (imo).

Instant sell out. Any sovereign in 2022 will go in the hour. £5 BU, Piedfort, and they could hit us with another what I don't know.  The reverse frosted gold QB are stunning so I would not mind a reverse frosted 2022 proof sovereign.

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Just for reference…

Previous SotDs have been limited to 1 per household.

The most recent SotD for QE II’s 95th birthday was priced at £630 and took a while to sell out.

Can you remember the mintage for this release so that we can compare? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The plain edge 2017 SOTD did well but that was a BU not a matte. The MInt should take note. I don't know anyone who likes the modern incarnation of the matte sovereign.

More so,  the 2019 Victoria SOTD Sovereign but also the 2019 Albert SOTD were well received and popular in the Matte finish and Plain Edge.

5 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

More so,  the 2019 Victoria SOTD Sovereign but also the 2019 Albert SOTD were well received and popular in the Matte finish and Plain Edge.

I'm not so sure. The Victoria did really well but has dropped off substantially recently and the Albert IIRC never achieved the same hights and you couldn't give them away soon afterwards.

The mintages were pretty small too.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, JJH said:

Does this mean that the remaining 100 are used to process exchanges?

The RM also released a 3-coin celebration set containing a 1926 Sovereign (QE II’s birth year), a 1957 Sovereign (first bullion Sovereign of QE II’s reign), and this SotD Sovereign.

There were 100 of these sets.