• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Group buying/purchasing

Amac4691

Yes Brexit put an end to saving 20% VAT but regularly I see better prices from the same dealers even adding VAT than quoted by our UK dealers.
Getting someone to handle a group purchase, add a second tranche of insured postage, then it wouldn't really make sense for a few coins and for any bigger order do it yourself.
I noticed Estonia has extended its VAT free period in to the summer.

23 hours ago, Pete said:

Yes Brexit put an end to saving 20% VAT but regularly I see better prices from the same dealers even adding VAT than quoted by our UK dealers.
Getting someone to handle a group purchase, add a second tranche of insured postage, then it wouldn't really make sense for a few coins and for any bigger order do it yourself.
I noticed Estonia has extended its VAT free period in to the summer.

I think you forget the import taxes, it's not only vat you have to pay.

I know that probably the cheapest bullion dealer in Europe, Goldsilver.be has even stopped shipping to the Uk for the moment because the British customs department is so difficult ...

2 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I think you forget the import taxes, it's not only vat you have to pay.

I know that probably the cheapest bullion dealer in Europe, Goldsilver.be has even stopped shipping to the Uk for the moment because the British customs department is so difficult ...

Not sure I understand your comment.
The only tax that becomes due for EU goods entering the UK is VAT.
If an EU supplier is able to charge UK VAT at the point of sale, declare VAT paid on their invoice then there is no further tax to pay.
Is this the complication you refer to ?
Most suppliers will not do this so the courier company ( also now known as import agent ) adds the VAT plus a processing fee which is settled by the buyer and nothing to do with the seller.
In this instance there is absolutely no reason why an EU supplier would not wish to ship to the UK because the added costs etc are at the customer receiving end.
What import taxes are you referring to ?
I suspect businesses have not studied the rules and if it is so complicated most trade from the EU to the UK would have stopped already.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Not sure I understand your comment.
The only tax that becomes due for EU goods entering the UK is VAT.
If an EU supplier is able to charge UK VAT at the point of sale, declare VAT paid on their invoice then there is no further tax to pay.
Is this the complication you refer to ?
Most suppliers will not do this so the courier company ( also now known as import agent ) adds the VAT plus a processing fee which is settled by the buyer and nothing to do with the seller.
In this instance there is absolutely no reason why an EU supplier would not wish to ship to the UK because the added costs etc are at the customer receiving end.
What import taxes are you referring to ?
I suspect businesses have not studied the rules and if it is so complicated most trade from the EU to the UK would have stopped already.

There are always import taxes when you buy something outside your economic union, what in the case of the UK the UK is.

When we buy something in the UK we also have to pay import taxes and on those taxes you have to pay VAT.

I think I know it better than you, I worked on the customs department of a big courier firm ...

Look at the post of Fadeingstar, he is from "Engeland" and also mentions the import duty.

And if you don't believe me, ask BYB or your local tax office ...

7 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

There are always import taxes when you buy something outside your economic union, what in the case of the UK the UK is.

When we buy something in the UK we also have to pay import taxes and on those taxes you have to pay VAT.

I think I know it better than you, I worked on the customs department of a big courier firm ...

Look at the post of Fadeingstar, he is from "Engeland" and also mentions the import duty.

And if you don't believe me, ask BYB or your local tax office ...

There is absolutely no merit in discussing this subject any further with you since you believe you are the expert and that I don't know anything.
Import duty - really ??
End of discussion from me  - nothing personal so enjoy your Christmas and remain free of Covid.

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Did you get the sack for not having the ability for holding a two way conversation?

I got sacked 3,5 years ago after 20,5 years, that is correct but not for that reason ...

Because before the Brexit deal was done and the new EU rules for the import of smaller amounts from this year was voted, ( to counter aliexpress and co ) the demand of customs employees went always down because most was just automated and there was much more free trade.

Now there is again a spike in demand but I have an other/ better job, so be it.

But is there nobody here on this forum, living in the UK, who imported silver since the Brexit and knows you also have to pay import duties and vat ??

Import duty has always been the most confusing aspect of customs tax.

VAT has always been straightforward. Import duty has always been around but it was never levied on silver, must have been zero rated, I never paid any on imports from USA and Australia of £1k and above.

As I read the rules now, it should be levied on any goods above £135 but I'm not sure if silver is exempt as the Border Force website is even worse than it was before Brexit. It simply says "phone for info".

I did import silver of about £1200 from Hong Kong earlier this year and paid VAT but no Import duty but I'm not sure if that was because we were still in some kind of transition period.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I got sacked 3,5 years ago after 20,5 years, that is correct but not for that reason ...

Because before the Brexit deal was done and the new EU rules for the import of smaller amounts from this year was voted, ( to counter aliexpress and co ) the demand of customs employees went always down because most was just automated and there was much more free trade.

Now there is again a spike in demand but I have an other/ better job, so be it.

But is there nobody here on this forum, living in the UK, who imported silver since the Brexit and knows you also have to pay import duties and vat ??

Regardless of your view point, there are members here that have created pages and pages of valuable content to the community, all done without passive aggressive behaviour. If you feel that way inclined, get premium membership, there are plenty of sub threads there where you can let off some steam.

On 21/12/2021 at 19:44, Centauri167 said:

Heubach Edelmetalle has stopped delivering to the UK too but it's my impression most German PM dealers still deliver to the UK, although I have not ordered any silver from the continent, since Brexit, only gold, so I can't shed any light on VAT, customs, import duties etc. However, I have ordered different goods from 2 German companies, this year. One of them added German VAT - wrongly in my opinion - it hasn't arrived yet - the other one hasn't and out of several orders, only one time was there a UK duty added, upon arrival - the other times, this seems to have been forgotten. Maybe worth a try, for a big silver purchase? 😃

Edited by silenceissilver

I can't speak for the EU, as I've never ordered from there. However, collecting US coinage, I have ordered a lot from the States over the years. I have had to pay import duties on occasion, although it was always sporadic. I don't think they were VAT as such as sometimes the coins coming in were low value (copper), so I believe it was just import tax.

Since the new way of shipping was adopted (International Shipping Program or whatever it's called) for everything from the US where all sales taxes, VAT, import duties and such are added on to the delivery price at the point of purchase, it has stopped the occasional letter from parcel force or similar saying I had to pay import duties for it to be released. The bad thing is it now costs a fortune to order anything from the States as you're hit on ever purchase.

It made the last outstanding Liberty Quarter a dog to buy. It cost me about half the value of the coin in import costs!

Thank God it was the last one I needed.

2 hours ago, SidS said:

I can't speak for the EU, as I've never ordered from there. However, collecting US coinage, I have ordered a lot from the States over the years. I have had to pay import duties on occasion, although it was always sporadic. I don't think they were VAT as such as sometimes the coins coming in were low value (copper), so I believe it was just import tax.

Since the new way of shipping was adopted (International Shipping Program or whatever it's called) for everything from the US where all sales taxes, VAT, import duties and such are added on to the delivery price at the point of purchase, it has stopped the occasional letter from parcel force or similar saying I had to pay import duties for it to be released. The bad thing is it now costs a fortune to order anything from the States as you're hit on ever purchase.

It made the last outstanding Liberty Quarter a dog to buy. It cost me about half the value of the coin in import costs!

Thank God it was the last one I needed.

Like I was saying ! Thank you for your testimony Sid 😀👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2021 at 12:41, Fadeingstar said:

Yes with the inport duty and vat charges that ship has now sailed.  There can still be a saving buying directly from Eu dealers yourself in germany but you have to be very careful with your calculations or you can lose out.

I’m trying to buy some stone X kilo coin bars but I have no idea what I have to pay this side of the water

• 2 weeks later...