• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Have you given back?, if so, how?

We talk of our coins and collections, sets and books, future hopes of attaining etc but have we paid our love of this hobby forward?, if so how?.

I have two grown up stepkids and a new stepgradson so I told my son his inheritance has been passed on to his son..lol.

This is what I think most of us have promised ourselves, if we don't have any catastrophic need for money then our collection will be handed down but what about others?, have we in any way paid our love of this hobby or investment forward?.

In my case I was talking to my hairdresser one day and asked her out of interest if she wanted her tip in cash or silver, she thought about it and how unusual it would be to take it in silver so selected that, each time I'd get a haircut I'd give her a silver 1 oz coin...she mentioned that her son loved it, she'd given them to him and he sat them on his shelf so I started to base my tips on her son, it has since progressed to a book on grading American coins as well as the silver coin, went into historical coins and for Christmas thus year he will be getting a 2022 Redbook and a couple of error quarters, being double dates to check on, he is now really into coins because of her and my actions...this hobby would die out as a hobby if we don't pass some of the love on, the people at meets and shows are getting ever older and we don't want it to go the way of stamps.

So have any of you gotten someone into this or fed their budding interest in some way to give the gift of a lifetime of collecting, be it change sifting or buying or just studying those coins out there in the either?.

Here's the place to let us know and maybe give some ideas for others here to start the pay it forward this hobby deserves and needs.

Both my god sons have a silver Britannia for their birth years, the eldest (3 years old) refers to it as his treasure 😂 Once they are older i will go into more depth with them. Fortunately their whole family understands the value of money and are fully supportive. The parents also got a 2022 Kookaburra from me this year for Xmas. Other than that, i have given a few friends some bits of silver over the years, but most have absolutely no idea that I'm even into stacking (i don't think they really would have any interest and i don't particularly want the world and his wife knowing what i have for security reasons, even if i don't actually have it with me).

I have been giving my niece a one ounce silver bar each Birthday and Christmas for a number of years. Back in the day i would often give out sovereigns as Birthday gifts (that stopped when prices topped £70). I also give people a silver Britannia for special occasions..

....Most people consider me weird. 😆

10 hours ago, RustyShackleford said:

You're tipping your hairdresser double what it costs me to get my haircut.

😁

Same here but that's not the reason I tip, we are friends too and most of the coin a tip with I bought for a much more favorable price...if my son, daughter or grandson were interested I'd probably give them silver but I have few friends so I do what I do.

7 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

Or used to cost back in the days when we all had hair.

My brother went bald at 21, I'm nowv54 with a full head of hair, even if I lost it all tomorrow I'm 30 years in profit..lmao.

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

I have been giving my niece a one ounce silver bar each Birthday and Christmas for a number of years. Back in the day i would often give out sovereigns as Birthday gifts (that stopped when prices topped £70). I also give people a silver Britannia for special occasions..

....Most people consider me weird. 😆

Good guy wierd is better then scrooge guy rich.

I've got a few friends and family members into the hobby - to the point that they now give their friends and family members things like silver Britannias and the occasional piece of gold too!
Gave my godson a bunch of old predecimal coins several years ago to pique his interest.  He'll get a gold sovereign when he turns 18, maybe another one at 21...

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

I've got a few friends and family members into the hobby - to the point that they now give their friends and family members things like silver Britannias and the occasional piece of gold too!
Gave my godson a bunch of old predecimal coins several years ago to pique his interest.  He'll get a gold sovereign when he turns 18, maybe another one at 21...

My dad used to save his pre decimal change but one day when we were on vacation some friend of my brother broke in and stole all the silver coins from the big glass jag..poured everything out then sorted out the silver only, probably delayed my interest for 20 years or so, just stacked sovs.

On 19/12/2021 at 12:59, DarkChameleon said:

We talk of our coins and collections, sets and books, future hopes of attaining etc but have we paid our love of this hobby forward?, if so how?.

I have two grown up stepkids and a new stepgradson so I told my son his inheritance has been passed on to his son..lol.

This is what I think most of us have promised ourselves, if we don't have any catastrophic need for money then our collection will be handed down but what about others?, have we in any way paid our love of this hobby or investment forward?.

In my case I was talking to my hairdresser one day and asked her out of interest if she wanted her tip in cash or silver, she thought about it and how unusual it would be to take it in silver so selected that, each time I'd get a haircut I'd give her a silver 1 oz coin...she mentioned that her son loved it, she'd given them to him and he sat them on his shelf so I started to base my tips on her son, it has since progressed to a book on grading American coins as well as the silver coin, went into historical coins and for Christmas thus year he will be getting a 2022 Redbook and a couple of error quarters, being double dates to check on, he is now really into coins because of her and my actions...this hobby would die out as a hobby if we don't pass some of the love on, the people at meets and shows are getting ever older and we don't want it to go the way of stamps.

So have any of you gotten someone into this or fed their budding interest in some way to give the gift of a lifetime of collecting, be it change sifting or buying or just studying those coins out there in the either?.

Here's the place to let us know and maybe give some ideas for others here to start the pay it forward this hobby deserves and needs.

Nice of you to do this.  I'm thinking of following in your footsteps.  But in all honesty, a 1 oz silver coin may be too big of a tip for a haircut if my barber cuts my hair for $15 + $2-$3 tip lol.   

3 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

Nice of you to do this.  I'm thinking of following in your footsteps.  But in all honesty, a 1 oz silver coin may be too big of a tip for a haircut if my barber cuts my hair for $15 + $2-$3 tip lol.   

Mine is id say an offset of neither my son or daughter interested in coins, my son recommending I just sell them all...his just had a son so I'm bypassing him altogether and hoping my grandson is interested...I started typing my hairdresser when I was buying g eagles for $14 and generics for $12.