• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM vs alderney gothic crown pictures

2 hours ago, Mario007 said:

I been looking online but I couldn't find them, I would like to see a picture of this coins next to each other, I was wondering if someone here has both and can take the shoot

I'll do that for you mate, not got my RM silvers delivered yet.  If you have not bought the Alderney Island yet, I can not see them being around for long at RRP 

8 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I'll do that for you mate, not got my RM silvers delivered yet.  If you have not bought the Alderney Island yet, I can not see them being around for long at RRP 

Is the rrp 460 for the 2 coin set? Just checking

3 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Seconded. Got mine from there too. Mark is a top man. I can’t share pics of the RM 2021 version with Alderney as I am still waiting to receive it, but here is the RM 1847 with the Alderney:

101D4230-0DE5-4816-AA52-3F2D8C6A884F.jpeg

I could watch this pictures for hours. 🤩 Again congrats for the 1847 Crown, absolute stunning. 

4 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

The year on the arms of the RM coin is 2021, on the Alderney arms 1847

Yes! It is strange that they did that. Aside from the portrait, of course, this will be a key difference between the 2021 coins from Alderney and Royal Mint. Will be interesting to see what the EIC do! 

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

How thick is the Alderney compared to the RM? The RM looks too thick to me compared to the original (?)

This one is original crown size, 28,28gr. There are also 2 OZ, 10 OZ and kilo sets. Only the kilos are not graded. I believe the 2 OZ RM are a bit deeper strucked and show better small details. 

15 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

This one is original crown size, 28,28gr. There are also 2 OZ, 10 OZ and kilo sets. Only the kilos are not graded. I believe the 2 OZ RM are a bit deeper strucked and show better small details. 

Well that's just perfect, thank you very much indeed :)  The RM one just doesn't look right to me being so thick!

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes! It is strange that they did that. Aside from the portrait, of course, this will be a key difference between the 2021 coins from Alderney and Royal Mint. Will be interesting to see what the EIC do! 

2022 😂

The Commonwealth Mint has done a way better job than the EIC. Only the Elizabeth portrait is absolute fantastic move, great concept. Even better thinked than by the RM.

st-helena-5-oz-silver-gothic-crown-saint-helena-ascension-and-tristan-da-cunha-2022-proof-.jpg

st-helena-5-oz-silver-gothic-crown-saint-helena-ascension-and-tristan-da-cunha-2022-proof--1.jpg

The Alderney Set is very well thought out, executed and presented. I bought a set well before the RM release in case I did not secure any from the RM and was very pleasantly surprised by the actual coins when they arrived.

I do not like the queen’s portrait on the East India one above. Too sinewy, aggressive, presenting a distracted look and the shoulders seem too young to go with her head. I just do not like it, I am afraid.

I think the young QEII gothic interpretation is a brilliant idea, well executed and could be a slow burner. It is cleverly not competing with the RM release and at the same time providing a unique appearance….two gothic heads on the same coin……as well as a “new” gothic head with the Quartered Arms coin……with the former RM engraver, Jody Clark, being Head of Design at the Commonwealth Mint at the time (he of the queen’s 5th portrait and queen’s beast design). I like it is the original weight and 925/1000 silver.

80304134-0C43-4C60-8429-FC88CE22C6A7.jpeg

Edited by Oldun

I have fallen in love with this. I love the QEII obverse, I find the modern ones on a coin like this so 'wrong'. This is very harmonious imo. That's partly also why the 1989 Sov is such a winner, for me (though I believe there was a recent Tudor Rose I also missed recently, perhaps posted by yourself @GoldDiggerDave?). Of course the RM will always 'win out' in the market but these are glorious.

The original thread was also a cracking read, thanks @Oldun!

Mintage 2500? Anyone know/guess what's happened to the ones that didn't get a 70, that seems very odd to have such high (100%) top pop figures at PCGS?

Edited by kimchi

2 hours ago, Oldun said:

The Alderney Set is very well thought out, executed and presented. I bought a set well before the RM release in case I did not secure any from the RM and was very pleasantly surprised by the actual coins when they arrived.

I do not like the queen’s portrait on the East India one above. Too sinewy, aggressive, presenting a distracted look and the shoulders seem too young to go with her head. I just do not like it, I am afraid.

I think the young QEII gothic interpretation is a brilliant idea, well executed and could be a slow burner. It is cleverly not competing with the RM release and at the same time providing a unique appearance….two gothic heads on the same coin……as well as a “new” gothic head with the Quartered Arms coin……with the former RM engraver, Jody Clark, being Head of Design at the Commonwealth Mint at the time (he of the queen’s 5th portrait and queen’s beast design). I like it is the original weight and 925/1000 silver.

80304134-0C43-4C60-8429-FC88CE22C6A7.jpeg

I run out of reactions but great post. I totally agree. 

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I have fallen in love with this. I love the QEII obverse, I find the modern ones on a coin like this so 'wrong'. This is very harmonious imo. That's partly also why the 1989 Sov is such a winner, for me (though I believe there was a recent Tudor Rose I also missed recently, perhaps posted by yourself @GoldDiggerDave?). Of course the RM will always 'win out' in the market but these are glorious.

The original thread was also a cracking read, thanks @Oldun!

Mintage 2500? Anyone know/guess what's happened to the ones that didn't get a 70, that seems very odd to have such high (100%) top pop figures at PCGS?

They go ungraded back. It's a PF70 release only, so they have to melt them down. Right now the POP is not as high as the mintage, so they have to struck New ones and submit in badges. 

Portrait 5£ silver PR70 pop until today 837

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/alderney/2021-5-new-gothic-crown-ag-portrait-dcam/946?sn=877799&h=pop

Shields 5£ silver PR70 pop until today 1489

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/alderney/2021-5-new-gothic-crown-ag-shields-dcam/946?sn=877800&h=pop

At LPM and a couple japanese and US dealers are the 2 OZ arms as single coins available, graded PF70 by NGC with signed Jody Clark label. POP today is 200

https://www.ngccoin.de/census/world/alderney/sc-16/s5pnd/varieties/706632/

I prefer the PCGS slabs, but signed Jody Clark labels are not the baddest idea for this release. I think there will come lovely releases by the Commonwealth Mint in the future. For sure they will never pass the RM, but could become a big contender for such releases if they don't run out of ideas and are delivering better quality coins than the RM with no milk spotting. As 70 Grades they will be perfect as possible. 

2021_2_oz_gothic_crown__pf_70__1634732283_3aa0b635_progressive.jpg

2021_2_oz_gothic_crown__pf_70__1634732283_478a65e9_progressive.jpg

2021_2_oz_gothic_crown__pf_70__1634732283_187f7f9a_progressive.jpg

Edited by dikefalos

Wow, that is absolutely incredible to remint until they are all 70s :o

I agree, in my humble opinion PCGS is better (stricter) on modern coins, so always a PCGS if I can for me. Even in the last year or two I think standards have fallen a bit lower at NGC but that is just my opinion and I am sure other people will say differently, that's OK :) I do not entirely trust the new arrangement between the RM and NGC though for mass grading.

I am very, very tempted to pick up this lovely set...