• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need help and opinions for my gold set Britannia 2014 please

foinikas

So i decided to grade my favourite set, as i recently started grading all my coins as i love to have them in slabs. My coins came back today and i am  dissapointed with the result of the 1oz (my favourite coin of them all). The coin has no scratch or defect, only a few places where the coin die is missing. Can someone with experience check and tell me if it is a fair grade or if i can do something about to to get it regraded and if there is a fair chance to get the pf70?

Thanks for your help.

CCAF078B-68CA-4A34-9502-B71F073DAE87.jpeg

57F1A9D1-9DF6-4BFB-BDC3-BEF3FBEC694E.jpeg

Edited by foinikas

28 minutes ago, foinikas said:

Just reuploaded the photo. Thanks

You need to post a 5x -10x magnification photo of the coin, this is how they are graded

Also a 69 for a RM coin is very good, they have such a poor QC on proofs, and  lack of on bullion

Edited by daca

As infuriating it is, grading is 'subjective'. That means if the grader is having a bad day and is in a foul mood, for whatever reason, you may end up with a lesser grade. Some say it's even political - graders don't want to be seen too 'lenient' so they'll toss in a random 69 so that not everyone gets a 70. Scarcity makes the value. You might crack that coin from slab, resubmit it and get a 70. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

That's a very desirable coin regardless, many would give their left kidney for it.

Listen here:

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Did you opt for conservation as well?

I’d be tempted to (ultra carefully) remove from the slab and resubmit with conservation to see if you get lucky and manage to upgrade from 69 to 70.

It’s worth bearing in mind 69 is a great grade - perfect to the naked eye. A 70 is ‘no imperfections visible unde 5x magnification’. 

lovely set!

It is a disappointing feeling when you don't get the grading result you want and there's essentially not a big difference between a 69 and a 70.

I often think it'd be nice to know exactly where on the coin the grader noticed the minor imperfection so I can see it myself.

Even if you crack it open and get another 69 don't be too disheartened, it is a popular design and still high grade.

14 hours ago, daca said:

You need to post a 5x -10x magnification photo of the coin, this is how they are graded

Also a 69 for a RM coin is very good, they have such a poor QC on proofs, and  lack of on bullion

Thanks for your comment.
I ll try post a photo 5x although you can see some minor die issues if you zoom in the photo of NGC if you use the serial number of the coin grade

12 hours ago, jultorsk said:

As infuriating it is, grading is 'subjective'. That means if the grader is having a bad day and is in a foul mood, for whatever reason, you may end up with a lesser grade. Some say it's even political - graders don't want to be seen too 'lenient' so they'll toss in a random 69 so that not everyone gets a 70. Scarcity makes the value. You might crack that coin from slab, resubmit it and get a 70. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

That's a very desirable coin regardless, many would give their left kidney for it.

Listen here:

Yes i noticed that in another less important coin for me, when the grader gave a 69 grade and i couldnt find a single fault on the coin even after i inspected it thouroughly under 10x.. i will be sending back that coin again for sure

8 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

It is a disappointing feeling when you don't get the grading result you want and there's essentially not a big difference between a 69 and a 70.

I often think it'd be nice to know exactly where on the coin the grader noticed the minor imperfection so I can see it myself.

Even if you crack it open and get another 69 don't be too disheartened, it is a popular design and still high grade.

Thank you. Yes it is a bit dissapointing, i really love this coin, never had the intention to sell it but would love the perfect grade even more. I might swap it for a pf70 plus cash in the future, although the prices have gone to the moon and these coins are so rate that i have no idea what a pf69 or pf70 cost today.

11 hours ago, Clockpuncher said:

Did you opt for conservation as well?

I’d be tempted to (ultra carefully) remove from the slab and resubmit with conservation to see if you get lucky and manage to upgrade from 69 to 70.

It’s worth bearing in mind 69 is a great grade - perfect to the naked eye. A 70 is ‘no imperfections visible unde 5x magnification’. 

lovely set!

thank you.

Yes i had conservation on this. I was thinking to do that but not sure what my chances are. The coin clearly has some small spots where the die is missing so i am  ot sure if a  pf70 is even possible. Having said that i have a coin which was graded pf70 with a huge scratch 😂🤦🏻‍♂️ My firend who has the same britannia 2014 set, his 1 oz coin has the same spots where the die is missing on his coin too. 

2 hours ago, Clockpuncher said:

This pics below are my 2014 PF70 - I just thought it might be useful for you to compare as a baseline and see if it shares any similarities with the 'missing die spots' on the one you graded.

IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

Good idea and very helpful. Your coin seems to be in better shape. I could only spot one minor issue on the right side of the trident she is holding. I could be wrong though as it just might be the photo.

thank you