• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Chards Mystery Box

17 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I was anxious about whether recipients would be happy with their box, but it looks like I needn't have been.

I still don't know who got the sovereigns.

A little more information about Royal Mail (Are they as bad as Royal Mint). They completely failed to collect the boxes on the pre-arranged day.

Then what we expected to be £11 per box postage got jacked up to almost £30 each. This was probably our fault, as the weight was about 80 grams over our original estimate. We probably should have left the drinks thingy out, and there was no spare time to reduce the weight or arrange a different parcel service. Hey-ho!

Two snippets from our Teams messages:

"maybe after a few more it will help me forget royal mail hold tune" 

"When are the chosen ones going to speak up! They might think no one has them!"

Chards

@LawrenceChard

Mine arrived too, was pleasantly suprised with it's contents and was in a similar manner to what other have posted on here. Great work, shame about the postage issue though... Oh, and no I wasn't one of the lucky ones keeping quiet about the Sovereign I just bagged. Although I wish I could say I was. :D

If you do this next year, would love to pick one up again for the pure the chance of winning something  huge, but also getting some really nice different coins that I wouldn't normally pick up for myself. Overall 9/10 from me. 👍

36 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Some restaurants charge £1000 extra for burgers with edible gold foil on them. 😎

Haha! I saw that. The restaurant closed though and he went off to the Middle East to take the p*** there. 

Perhaps you, Lawrence, are SovBae?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/salt-bae-nusr-et-steakhouse-restaurant-knightsbridge-saudi-arabia-steaks-b964307.html?amp

5 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Haha! I saw that. The restaurant closed though and he went off to the Middle East to take the p*** there. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/salt-bae-nusr-et-steakhouse-restaurant-knightsbridge-saudi-arabia-steaks-b964307.html?amp

Good thought!

What is it with Knightsbridge and Mayfair addresses?

😎

Chards

45 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Oh my goodness, the photograph I found in the bottom of my mystery box makes even more sense now!

image.png.2e0ff4aca35725c3266b34077dad68c7.png

I opened my mystery box last night.  No sovereign unfortunately 🙁  and as mentioned above the only gold contained inside was of the edible type..  Aside from that slight disappointment I'm generally pleased with the contents which among other things included a 2022 bullion silver Britannia, a colourised Peter Rabbit 50p proof, a piedfort 50p proof, (what does piedfort mean btw?  pardon my ignorance)   also an old 1940 sixpence.

When I was a school kid back in the 1970s I used to own two of these Britains First Decimal Coins sets but I have no clue what ever became of them. Lost in the mists of time somewhere I suppose..

I agree with the idea of leaving the drinks thingy out next time round..

Hope I can stay sharp enough to bag another one next year..

Edited by flyingveepixie

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Twice as thick as a regular coin.

...not that you can appreciate it in those foam bordered capsules!

oh true? Never knew that. I assumed it would be something to do with the design or designer but I did think something was up with my maths when I was working out the melt values compared to the coin specs

• 10 months later...
On 17/11/2022 at 18:20, Silverlocks said:

Just the thought of those speedos . . .

On 12/10/2022 at 16:57, LawrenceChard said:

"Well, if you keep skiing in your underwear" there's a considerable risk of your article coming out, and I'm sure nobody wants to see that.

Not underwear, but perfectly respectable Speedos.

"there's a considerable risk of your article coming out"

Not when it's -15°c.

"and I'm sure nobody wants to see that."

Don't be too sure about that!

😎

On 31/05/2022 at 13:02, HelpingHands said:

The top looks like it's on a hinge so an inkwell is more likely as scent bottle lids would probably lift off.

Probably if wearing speedos

On 10/04/2022 at 14:53, HerefordBullyun said:

@Midasfrog must still be sat on the bog.

@stefffana is back around the car boot sales looking for trays.

@James32 is sat in the bath of gold coins waiting for arshs next post so he can unwire his testicles from his alarm for the next 24 hours.

@Lyrinn is in deep thought what to post next.

@Gruff is out feeding his whippets, whilst polishing his massive rolo.

@Minimalist is working out when in the next 50 years when scotland will qualify for the world cup, then further contemplating in the trillion years when they actually win it, my moneys on fiji before them.

@Mtaybar is sweating what to say when he becomes a grandmaster for his indoctrination as part of the TSF illuminati

Ive heard @LawrenceChard has lost his skiing speedos, in a freak boating accident in the irish sea, whilst using his kilo coins as fishing weights on blackpool upon sea.

@Darr3nG is still on his dialysis machine from detoxing on the sauce.

These are my conclusions and they must be final.  

On 05/04/2022 at 14:20, dikefalos said:

I had to pay shipping, i don't tell the name of this well known Blackpool coin dealer, that doesn't fears the cold and goes in Speedos for skiing.😆

No shipping cost, i can tell the name. No International admin fee, i talk about the great service, fast shipment, one of the best webpages for a coin dealer, that not messed up Royal Mint coin for a nice price and the € payment option, that safes me also a couple %. 

On 12/02/2022 at 22:02, James32 said:

Anyone that has the courage to ski in speedos might be worth keeping on side Barry 😊

On 08/02/2022 at 19:15, Gordy said:

Barry Barry Barry, I think you need to clam down, Lawrence was clearly saying it in jest and as all members know on here he deals in monopoly money in his speedos from a chalet in Austria or France in very cold weather at extreme heights with little oxygen and it affects his processing power so he mumbles about stuff

Trying to damage someone's reputation by telling tales when you havnt had any dealings with them id a bit petty too tbh

I think in a sensible way that does not mean to upset or insult your intelligence in any way whatsoever that you failed to do due diligence when buying the coin and after finding you could buy it cheaper you felt cheated.

When you look at PM selling companies and websites they all have differing prices and these are set for market interest and for business interests too.

The business must always come first.

Car dealers will give you 15K for a motor with 2 previous owners and sell it within 2 hours for 17K but they take the risk that they may not sell it for a year if the economy sinks or covid hits and they are stuck with it with a 15K outlay

Same principles can be said about PM's

For example, if Lawrence bought 500 Sovs for whatever price he has to lay the money off and then sell it and it may take months to shift them

Silver sellers can and do buy thousands of £'s worth of silver bullion coins and only make 2 quid per coin which means they need to sell 1000's a week to cover overheads etc

Its the market, low mintages attract buyers, flippers and collectors which means certain people fall into traps for FOMO

You can have my Portrait for under £600 to make your set if you want

Wait a few weeks and you'll no doubt pick one up for under £500

There are a lot of guys on here who can point you in the right direction, just ask the questions and you will get some very sound advice

Just my opinion, you're allowed yours too

On 05/02/2022 at 20:27, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Silver proof corgies,piedfort and reverse frosted...the Queen's Big toe only 20 mintage...a gold toilet roll from her majs throne..set of 3...and a 1kg... Prince Andrew in his speedos...only 1, dont think that will sell out...and many more....😆😆😆😆

On 14/12/2021 at 10:24, dikefalos said:

Fingers crossed it's no multicolored winter Speedos or William and Kate coins🤞

Opinions wanted for our new "branded" Speedos:

chardsspeedos.jpg.5a5c4180271e54ac505341586cdc8256.jpg

What do you all think?

😎

Chards