• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The World's First Gold One-Eighth Sovereign

LawrenceChard

My Saturday morning read of the newspaper was rudely interrupted by a large, colour advert for a coin.

I suppose I should have been excited because this was a new gold sovereign, in fact a world's first.

But...

2068106358_2021TDCTristandaCunhaGoldEighthSovereignAdvertDailyTelegraphSaturday13thNov2021.thumb.jpg.e6c2c9c20a864a246ea15166d1d672be.jpg

I instantly knew I was at risk of going blind trying to read the minuscule print, and have to wade through all or most of it to discover which country it was from (or at least in the name of).

I could of course see that as often, the reverse had been cunningly overlaid over the obverse in just the right place to obscure the name of the country. In most of these cases, the obscured legend says "T.D.C.", standing for Tristan da Cunha, which it is in this case.

Also, the price was cunningly hidden away, or almost so.

Turns out to be a special introductory price of £69, plus £4.99 P&P, until 31st December, after which it will be £99.

Other small details:

Diameter 11mm.

Weight 1 gram.

Purity Solid 22ct gold.

So, the fine gold content = 0.02947149 troy ounces, and the effective price per ounce of fine gold is

£2341.24 at £69,  £2510.56 inc postage

£3359.17 at £99, £3528.49 inc postage.

The ofofer is from Hattons of London.

Strict limit of one per household.

I was underwhelmed when the Royal Mint started making quarter sovereigns in 2009, and I am still not a fan, but an 1/8th sovereigns is even more underwhelming.

The only good thing about it in my opinion, is that if the images can be believed, it might actually have some silver in it, making it a better colour than the Royal Mint's UK sovereigns. 😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Hattons of London seem to do quite well selling "the world's first" 1/8 sovereigns.

Aside from the world's first you have mentioned, they also have this world's first - https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2020-pre-decimal-50th-anniversary-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

Or this world's first -  https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2021-george-and-the-dragon-200th-anniversary-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

Alternatively, here's the world's first again - https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2021-queens-95th-birthday-24-carat-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

I wonder when they will release the worlds first 1/16th sovereigns? At least if you miss the first one you can still catch the first, or the first, or the first 

21 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Hattons of London seem to do quite well selling "the world's first" 1/8 sovereigns.

Aside from the world's first you have mentioned, they also have this world's first - https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2020-pre-decimal-50th-anniversary-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

Or this world's first -  https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2021-george-and-the-dragon-200th-anniversary-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

Alternatively, here's the world's first again - https://hattonsoflondon.co.uk/product/the-2021-queens-95th-birthday-24-carat-gold-one-eighth-sovereign/

I wonder when they will release the worlds first 1/16th sovereigns? At least if you miss the first one you can still catch the first, or the first, or the first 

Looks like you were the first, second, and third to notice that! 😎

18 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

They should have advertised it as 0.5/4 Sovereign or 0.25/2 Sovereign. Doesnt sound so small then.

This sort of c**p used to come with a free magnifying glass! 😎

Chards

On 11/11/2021 at 07:21, Zhorro said:

“We will remember them” – Tristan Da Cunha, 2021, Proof One-Eighth Sovereign, 1gm, 22ct gold.

WeWill-full.jpg

WeWill001.JPG

I did buy one of these!  I have got to say that the production quality is superb - I think the Royal Mint could learn something from these smaller producers.  At £69 (plus postage) it is affordable, though the premium may be high.

The design is a trifle ambiguous. I assume that it shows the British lion trampling on the German eagle, but the latter could be interpreted as the French cockerel, which would be a bit unfortunate. 

They would look good in a display next to the real medal. I don't get the newspapers coz there full of ***t.

Glad to see this advert though.

Tiny victorian toy sovs and half sovs are around if you know where to look and can sell for more than real ones :)

Lest we forget. 

34 minutes ago, RDHC said:

The design is a trifle ambiguous. I assume that it shows the British lion trampling on the German eagle, but the latter could be interpreted as the French cockerel, which would be a bit unfortunate. 

The detail on the coin is taken from the War Medal 1939-1945.

WarMedal.jpg