• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Gold Sovereign’s

PatrickV

@PatrickV

29 minutes ago, Floyd1504 said:

I have a rare Sydney 1888 r2 it's in excellent condition. Pm if you're interested in a Jack The Ripper sovereign.  🤭

It's a really nice sovereign, I've seen it. Definitely don't loose out on this... @Floyd1504 

11 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Oh wow.... That would be cool to own. I might look at getting one of those myself one day. Is there a half in the same year?

I dunno if you'd get an r2 version which is much more rare, but you can get a half 1888.

Screenshot_20211112-205742_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211112-205716_Gallery.jpg

20211112_205559.jpg

20211112_205537.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Beautiful coin..... What's an R2 though? 

13 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

I didn't know what it was either bud, it's a lower mintage that were made, they can. sell for anything up to £750

You could do a little research for the details.

Here's a pic of its info

20211112_211811.jpg

13 minutes ago, Floyd1504 said:

I didn't know what it was either bud, it's a lower mintage that were made, they can. sell for anything up to £750

Here's a pic of its info

20211112_211811.jpg

Stunner of a coin. I'll do some digging around on them later. Interesting history behind them so one I'd like to own in the future. Thanks for the heads up on them mucker 👍😉. (The colour is much better too lol)

I've saw them selling on eBay around the £700 Mark, but that's only the r2, you can get the other ones cheaper.

The r2 is something that should really be graded and slabbed. I might send it to PCGS

I was gonna sell mine ungraded for £400 if anyone's interested. 😋😋

1 hour ago, Floyd1504 said:

I've saw them selling on eBay around the £700 Mark, but that's only the r2, you can get the other ones cheaper.

The r2 is something that should really be graded and slabbed. I might send it to PCGS

I was gonna sell mine ungraded for £400 if anyone's interested. 😋😋

Id love to take it but sadly can't. I don't like the slabs so if I had it, it wouldn't be getting sent off lol. 

4 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

4 hours ago, Floyd1504 said:

Here's a pic of its info

20211112_211811.jpg

The “R” rating features in a few scales when it comes to coin rarity, but generally when we talk about the R rating in relation to sovereigns we mean the scale In Michael Marsh’s book “The Gold Sovereign” where he has used the scale to describe rarity of a given coin. I don’t have my book at hand, but it goes something like:

C Common

N Normal

S Scarce

R rare

Marsh expands the rarity part into R1 to R7 (without checking I think 7 is ‘top’)

R2 (without checking), meaning “very rare” in Michael Marsh’s opinion, based on his research (and this year updated by Steve Hill at sovereign rarities).

@sovereignsteve is far more knowledgeable and likely give a far more accurate reply.

Personally before buying a coin based on its rarity I’d get an understanding of the scale, Marsh and what it means to you and what your goals are collecting sovereigns. For me personally, condition comes first but everyone’s different and there are plenty of people who buy simply because a coin is rare.

Enjoy 🙂

4 hours ago, SilverMike said:

The “R” rating features in a few scales when it comes to coin rarity, but generally when we talk about the R rating in relation to sovereigns we mean the scale In Michael Marsh’s book “The Gold Sovereign” where he has used the scale to describe rarity of a given coin. I don’t have my book at hand, but it goes something like:

C Common

N Normal

S Scarce

R rare

Marsh expands the rarity part into R1 to R7 (without checking I think 7 is ‘top’)

R2 (without checking), meaning “very rare” in Michael Marsh’s opinion, based on his research (and this year updated by Steve Hill at sovereign rarities).

@sovereignsteve is far more knowledgeable and likely give a far more accurate reply.

Personally before buying a coin based on its rarity I’d get an understanding of the scale, Marsh and what it means to you and what your goals are collecting sovereigns. For me personally, condition comes first but everyone’s different and there are plenty of people who buy simply because a coin is rare.

Enjoy 🙂

That's pretty detailed info. Thanks for putting me in the know. I was expecting it to be some kind of mark on the coin. I'm starting to discover that I have a little bit of a soft spot for sovereign's lol. I think an 1888 sovereign set will be on my target list for a while.

6 hours ago, SilverMike said:

C Common

N Normal

S Scarce

R rare

Enjoy 🙂

I paid £400 for it, Mike and was only trying to get my money back.

Was I overcharged?

I bought it purely because it was a Jack The Ripper sovereign.  🤭🤭🤭

I showed it to a coin dealer in London and he said it was worth almost double what I paid for it.

I found this online

Marsh Description R1 over 1250 examples known R2 500 to 1250 examples known R3 201 to 500 examples known R4 76 to 200 examples known R5 31 to 75 examples known R6 13 to 30 examples known R7 4 to 12 Highest rarity known R8 2 or 3 examples known (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/rarity-ratings-r4-etc.34194/)

There's so much to take into account with some coins, it's enough to make your head spin.

2 hours ago, Floyd1504 said:

I paid £400 for it, Mike and was only trying to get my money back.

Was I overcharged?

I bought it purely because it was a Jack The Ripper sovereign.  🤭🤭🤭

I showed it to a coin dealer in London and he said it was worth almost double what I paid for it.

I found this online

Marsh Description R1 over 1250 examples known R2 500 to 1250 examples known R3 201 to 500 examples known R4 76 to 200 examples known R5 31 to 75 examples known R6 13 to 30 examples known R7 4 to 12 Highest rarity known R8 2 or 3 examples known (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/rarity-ratings-r4-etc.34194/)

There's so much to take into account with some coins, it's enough to make your head spin.

Not sure on the value tbh Floyd, but £400 doesn’t sound unreasonable.

On 12/11/2021 at 19:57, Samuel21 said:

If your on the fb group Backthemetal, Aiden Howard sells sovereigns almost daily 

Thanks Samuel, I'm also on here, different user name however which may confuse people.

I've got plenty of sovereigns to sell, various years. they start from £330 upwards.

if the OP would be interested in any he's welcome to ask me.

• 5 months later...

Archived