• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you still buying gold now its went up in price?

Smiler999

Infation figures don't look as if they will fall any time soon, either here or in US.

I started stacking only a few weeks ago and yesterday I moved into positive territory so my feeling is I should buy, but no too sure if I am confident to keep stacking as I am buying a lot quicker than I thought I would.

This whole situation is just so addictive.

If I apply pound cost averaging it says I should buy more now!

its easy to get fixated on a price thats personal to you ..  break even being obvious, but also levels you wanted to get in at but it didn't quite get down there.  then its too hard to pull the trigger as it rises..

many people won't add until they are onside .   or If you have sold out at a certain level and it carried on up its often hard to get back in..   

I try to ignore all of the above and think when I have some spare cash I'm going to use that money, to buy money.   better money. 

I will definitely still buy certain gold items that I want to buy.  But I will potentially try and buy on the dips (if any).  I tend to set myself a budget ceiling price for a given bullion coin and then buy it once I've got the money.

Occasionally I have to raise this ceiling price if the spot price keeps going up, but usually I set the ceiling price so that I have enough headroom to still buy the coin anyway if I really want it.

So yes - I'll keep buying for the time being when there are new gold coins or bars I want to buy.  2022 bullion sovereigns and any special Platinum Jubilee coins are what I'm saving for.

33 minutes ago, CANV said:

its easy to get fixated on a price thats personal to you ..  break even being obvious, but also levels you wanted to get in at but it didn't quite get down there.  then its too hard to pull the trigger as it rises..

many people won't add until they are onside .   or If you have sold out at a certain level and it carried on up its often hard to get back in..   

I try to ignore all of the above and think when I have some spare cash I'm going to use that money, to buy money.   better money. 

I've no intention of selling my holdings, ideally looking to build up to 10oz first, likely be fractional ie sovs and ¼s as funding permits lol 

CPI data was released in USA. There is inflation fears which has driven price of metals up. If you are buying PM you should be taken a long term view on it. The cash you hold is not doing much in the banks and will be eroded over time. Food prices is at least 10% a year, maybe more,. Take a long term view on it and you should be able to sleep at night with some insurance in your portfolio. Metals generally do well in a inflationary environment.

3 hours ago, Smiler999 said:

Like the title says, are you still intending to add to your stack now its touching 1400/oz, or are you holding back?

I myself was intending to get a 2022 sov and ¼ gold Brit, so I dunno what to do lol

Yes! 

10 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

I will continue to buy. My first sovs were in the £230s. Sure it seems 'expensive' buying now when you look at the price but I stick to my strategy of accumulating on the dips and measuring my holdings in pounds. Lbs not £ 😉

Have a similar view except I have to measure mine in grams lol

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I try to time my purchases on the dip sometimes I get fortunate sometimes I don't. But I know Gold is a long term bull market over the next 20 years. Looking back I bought 1 oz Gold in 2018 for £1000. All because price now almost £1400 does not imply I stop. Wait for a pullback in price, wait for confirmation (often several times) then I pull the trigger rinse and repeat continuing to buy on the pullback at higher prices. Gets very complicated when looking at price of Gold in £ and then $ on a chart. Even though I am in the UK I only look at the price in $ when buying on pullbacks. Try not look at the Gold stack in terms of how much worth in £ or $ or other fiat currencies measure your wealth in oz's Gold. Done this with property I own, my salary you will  start seeing from a different perspective.

Edited by Abyss

4 hours ago, Smiler999 said:

I myself was intending to get a 2022 sov and ¼ gold Brit, so I dunno what to do lol

If you're unsure about the current price you could buy one of the coins you mentioned at a time to spread the purchases out over a time frame that suits? Whatever helps you sleep sound at night 

I think it all depends on how much pleasure you get from owning it and what else you would spend the money on.

If i were to buy an ounce of gold at £1400 and the price dropped to £1200 next year i would probably tell myself i'm still £1200 better off than i would be if i'd spent the money on wine, women and raucous behaviour. I just wouldn't have the memories 😁

7 hours ago, Smiler999 said:

Like the title says, are you still intending to add to your stack now its touching 1400/oz, or are you holding back?

All depends on if you are a flipper or long term holder..if the latar..I'd say YES....

17 hours ago, Smiler999 said:

As soon as I get spare cash I'll be buying more metals, probably gold, not so much silver these days. My timing is cr*p, so I just by when I have spare funds.

I first started buying at £300/oz, recently bought at £1295/oz. It's gut wrenching when you make a purchase then watch the price drop, but if you're comfortable with the long-term fundamentals driving the gold price then you just ride the dips out.