• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What Silver Is Best to Buy Relocating to a Non EU

JohnyBGold

Hello SF members. I've been wondering if all my options are open now when buying more Silver or metals in general. My strategy so far has been to buy Sov's and Silver Brits because of the CGT exception but wondering if it doesn't really matter due to relocation next year to a non EU country.

The metal I've bought so far I'm thinking will lose the CGT? so is it open season for buying going forward or is there anything I should be aware of? and best to buy from here now on? 

I've been put of buying lately due to this thought I have. 

Thanks

Depends on country you are intending to relocate to! every country has different tax laws.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

@MickB youve been to these parts any clue?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

You need to address the questions of CollectForFun.

If you aren't going to be out of the UK forever, then do you think you would want to sell the silver whilst you are away? If you imagine you would like to hang onto the silver is there anywhere you could keep it, store it?
Do you imagine you will be visiting the UK whilst you are living overseas?
You are on the Silver Forum - we are here b/c we believe it is a wise thing to buy precious metal now and going forwards.

If you think you would like to continue buying silver whilst in Serbia or wherever i would open an account with something like Kinesis where you can invest in physical gold and silver but not have the problems of borders and the like. Additionally you can easily sell the silver.

Do you actually think you will be effected by CGT?
A lot of people talk about it on the forum. Not sure if anyone is effected by it.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

If you are currently stacking PMs and wants to take them with you when relocating, then surely gold is the only option. 

Forget about silver as they are bulky in high quantities. They won't be easy to hand carry should you accumulate multi kilos.  You could of course sell your silver prior to relocating. But then again you might not get back what you paid for them.

@CollectForFun Thanks for reply. Will be for the foreseeable future so would be looking to buy more there (long-term invest) but sell the odd silver / gold if needs be. 

@sixgun Thanks for reply. Coming back would not be likely for a few years, maybe for visit. Thanks for the bullion dealer tip. With CGT I just assumed I might get burned a little taking it out the country? My PM will be likely be under 12k for both gold and silver combined by the time I leave. 

@Happypanda88 Thanks for reply. My G & S combined will be under 12k (unless I'm winning lotto in next few months) I was just concerned of losing too much due to any taxes or any other sneaky costs I'm not aware about and if it would be best to not buy any more silver while in the UK at least and stick to buying a certain type of Gold? including Sov's and Gold Brits.

I just don't want to find out that I should have bought only a certain types of PM before going to another European country and lose out somwhere.

Thanks for replies 

11 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

@MickB youve been to these parts any clue?

If travelling through the EU to one of the non-EU countries be aware of the EU anti-money laundering law they introduced where they can confiscate your precious metals if you can't prove ownership. There was a discussion on the forum a while back about this.

From a personal point of view i would stash the silver if i had a safe place and further silver i would buy on Kinesis. i say Kinesis b/c i know the system and the people. Buying and selling and moving silver across borders with premiums and potential taxes gets messy. Potentially you might end up thinking was it worth it? You should discover what the lie of the land is where you go to. There may be coins / bars which are better to hold, there may be no private market like in the UK / Europe. You might potentially get stung if you needed to sell. So unless it looks good when you have put your feelers out wherever it is you end up, i would use a system like Kinesis. There will shortly be a EUR VISA card coming out with which you can spend you bullion - not sure if it will work where you are headed but if you can it means the bullion becomes accessible and much more liquid. You can forget the borders with a VISA card on your phone or in your pocket.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

@MickB Great tip bit of potential 🤮 then, majority of bullion ive bought via Bullion by Post which I've got proof of purchase and some from this forum. Looks like I will need to either stash some here with family and maybe take what I can only prove is mine. 

@sixgun Yeah I think stashing some is good bet just in case. Interesting about that EUR Visa will need to keep eye on that. Thanks again 

• 1 month later...

Gold sovs make sense. Silver always seems to attract attention through the xray. Not necessarily to take it from you but certainly expect a 2nd look or a few questions.

Similar density to lead perhaps?

Whilst a tube of silver Brits isn't a lot of money to move it stands out far more than a few sovs. I say sovs over pure 24ct 1 oz coins as they just don't stand out as much. Not as shiny or as big etc. 

2 minutes ago, RustyShackleford said:

Are sovs particularly attractive to overseas buyers?  Versus fractional 24ct gold for example?

Depending on the country, some like Canada and Australia have sales tax on non pure gold (like we have vat for silver) so they're less popular. That might mean you could sell them for more over in those countries though? Research the rules in the specific countries I guess and check out whether you need to fill any forms to take it there. Like I was saying though fractional gold like quarter oz coins stand out compared to the coppery looking sovs. Mabybe 1/4 oz krugs have potential.