• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Buffalo.

HarryK

I am relatively new to stacking, having been collecting 1oz gold coins for about a year.Until now its mainly been Britannias', with a few Royal Arms and QBCs to add a little variation.
Today I received my first 1oz Gold Buffalo. I'm blown away by the beauty of this coin, it seems to have a less shiny finish than my other coins.Now I've got the bug, any suggestions for other 1oz coins to add to my collection which may improve my knowledge and enhance my stacking experience? 

1 hour ago, HarryK said:

I am relatively new to stacking, having been collecting 1oz gold coins for about a year.Until now its mainly been Britannias', with a few Royal Arms and QBCs to add a little variation.
Today I received my first 1oz Gold Buffalo. I'm blown away by the beauty of this coin, it seems to have a less shiny finish than my other coins.Now I've got the bug, any suggestions for other 1oz coins to add to my collection which may improve my knowledge and enhance my stacking experience? 

Every gold stack needs a Krugerrand 😁 good choice so far. I also love the buffalo. Also the 2022 Britannia is now out with some dealers (whilst it appears to be the same aside from the date) no need complicate things

1 hour ago, HarryK said:

Congratulations on the buffalo (on my list too 😁)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

11 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

There are a lot of World coins, one ouncers or similar. Maybe if you told us what your stacking or collecting goals are.

My main goal is to convert fiat currency out of my bank into Gold in order to eliminate counter party risk. If I can have fun and increase my knowledge along the way, then all the better. 

The Chinese Mint gold pandas are very nice too. Check them out if you have not already done so. The design changes every year, same as the Australian Perth Mint kangaroos which makes them collectable. The gold pandas were .999 1oz in weight until 2015. From 2016, the Chinese Mint moved to the metrics system and changed the 1oz coin to 30g.

5 minutes ago, HarryK said:

Thanks Happy.I like the idea of owning a Panda.

Why does the Buffalo have a more matt finish than the very shiny Britannias? 

I believe it's all down to the production techniques for the coins at each mint. The recent gold Pandas on the other hand appears to have a lovely shiny two tone finish which I like.

1 hour ago, 27carrots said:

If you're buying 1oz gold coins, I'd get a 2021 kangaroo before the next year comes out. They do a different one every year and 2021 is the best I've seen.

Thanks for that carrots. A beautiful looking coin. 

3 hours ago, HarryK said:

There is an old list here, in alphabetical order:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/oneouncegoldcoins.html

I probably created the page in or after 2006, so it is not longer complete. Some mints, and countries, have added new variations of one ounce coins since. The British Royal Mint seems to add a new one about every 10 minutes.

Anyone care to spot an error on the page? (No prizes!).

Chards

25 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

That's only half of the equation. How and under what circumstances do you intend to sell one day?

How and under what circumstances I sell will depend on events obviously. For the moment I'm happy to diversify into Gold rather than have too much cash in the bank being eaten away by rampant inflation. To quote Rick Rule.. I view money in the bank as "Return free risk". 

Okay. Just make sure to get pieces with a solid resale value (premium wise), as in sought after pieces. That's more a problem with silver than with gold, of course.

Are you set on one ounce coins? Maybe look into sovereigns, which should be the most liquid gold coins in the UK.

5 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Another dozen maybe, from the 1.2oz 900 gold Mexican 50 pesos to the Canadian 99999 Elk. Just love the Buffalo, with its non reflective surface (easy to photograph). Nice pic of the Double Eagle JunkBond! Wish I had one.

IMG_2371.JPG

Thought I wanted a buffalo but now I know I do 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 hours ago, HarryK said:

... they just look a bit nondescript compared to the chunkier 1oz coins. I did buy 250oz of Silver Britannias, but jeez they take some space up storage wise. 

Eight kilo of silver do that 😁

My advice still, you seem to be a serious investor, try not to stray too far off your path. Everything governmental coins is more solid than pretty medals.

Britannia47 had already shown the "big investment coins". On the Buffalo finish, I own a Gold Eagle and I used to own Gold Philharmonics. Vastly different finish, but both solid gold. The US Mint seems to like their matte finish.