• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much would you pay for a 1oz gold buffalo??

James32

1 minute ago, metallica73 said:

Just under £1400, Gold was about £1315/oz at the time

Thanks a million, I had a number in my head and you have just crossed that threshold with your information lol. I'm away now to seriously consider, thanks again.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

The premium for a 1oz gold bullion Buffalo at dealers is between 9.5% and 16%, unjustified in my opinion for a nothing special coin. A fair premium should be 4.5%-5.5% for a regular 1oz. (1oz Britannia 2021 can be found at this low premium).

If you agree to pay 9.5% for gold, you can choose always another very nice proof premium coins, with limited mintage, box and COA, more attractive than a buffalo with an old indian chief.

6 minutes ago, stefffana said:

The premium for a 1oz gold bullion Buffalo at dealers is between 9.5% and 16%, unjustified in my opinion for a nothing special coin. A fair premium should be 4.5%-5.5% for a regular 1oz. (1oz Britannia 2021 can be found at this low premium).

If you agree to pay 9.5% for gold, you can choose always another very nice proof premium coins, with limited mintage, box and COA, more attractive than a buffalo with an old indian chief.

That old Indian will be turning in his grave right about now......seriously though I personally love the design and think it's far nicer and twice as interesting as a britannia but I do agree with you on the premium being unjust....thanks for your perspective though. 

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

That old Indian will be turning in his grave right about now......seriously though I personally love the design and think it's far nicer and twice as interesting as a britannia but I do agree with you on the premium being unjust....thanks for your perspective though. 

Yes, I agree with you: if you like it, why not?

But look at this set from Chards at 10% premium: https://www.chards.co.uk/1965-anniversary-of-the-battle-of-britain-gold-medallion-set/3940.

Or at this beautiful medallion from Atkinsons at 9.4% premium: https://atkinsonsbullion.com/pre-owned/various/pre-owned-1940-1980-john-lennon-proof-gold-medal.

A buffalo can be bought whenever you want, waiting only for a good deal. But low mintage are difficult to find cheap. And these 4-5% difference are easy to recover in half of year only waiting to increase the spot price.

2 hours ago, stefffana said:

But look at this set from Chards at 10% premium: https://www.chards.co.uk/1965-anniversary-of-the-battle-of-britain-gold-medallion-set/3940.

Or at this beautiful medallion from Atkinsons at 9.4% premium: https://atkinsonsbullion.com/pre-owned/various/pre-owned-1940-1980-john-lennon-proof-gold-medal.

A buffalo can be bought whenever you want, waiting only for a good deal. But low mintage are difficult to find cheap. And these 4-5% difference are easy to recover in half of year only waiting to increase the spot price.

Well, I'm not sure there's a valid comparison here between a set of 22ct coins, and a 18ct gold medal depicting an assassinated 'Pop star' unless the lowest premium is all that matters. This 9999 gold buffalo (American bison) is historical based on the 1913 nickel designed by James Earle Fraser. The "old Indian chief" is a composite of 3 Indians from different tribes - 'Big Tree' 'Iron Tail' and 'Two Moons'  No doubt U.S. collectors appreciate these facts. Knowledge of Stackers v Collectors?

Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Britannia47 said:

Well, I'm not sure there's a valid comparison here between a set of 22ct coins, and a 18ct gold medal depicting an assassinated 'Pop star' unless the lowest premium is all that matters. This 9999 gold buffalo (American bison) is historical based on the 1913 nickel designed by James Earle Fraser. The "old Indian chief" is a composite of 3 Indians from different tribes - 'Big Tree' 'Iron Tail' and 'Two Moons'  No doubt U.S. collectors appreciate these facts. Knowledge of Stackers v Collectors?

Cheers.

The set is 18ct and the pop star is 22ct. 😊 And don't forget about "Black Diamond"!🤗

Yes, it is true, it is not the same. We are comparing only price premium paid over spot to buy them. When is coming the time to sell, any new buyer will try to take them from you close to spot at that moment.

I have in my stack / collection several regular bullion coins, but I really enjoy when I am able to have in my hands something unusual or rare, even not all of them are sought after.

This is the joy of stacking / collecting, isn't it?

There are so many coins to buy and sell... Enough for any taste and preferences.

Cheers!

On 19/10/2021 at 18:58, stefffana said:

Neither of those examples are from any well recognised mint, hence the reason why that ugly designed Chards set (IMO) has been in their stock so long, I don't much care for the Lennon design much either, but each to their own.

I have actually been looking for up to 3 x 1oz Buffalos for a while on here, as I like the design but remain aware there will be no premium should my kids/grandkids decide to sell all or part of my collection.

So, slow and steady (hopefully) wins the race and I'll get one or more Buffalos  closer to spot, in the fulness of time.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

Got excited when it said 'from 1352' up at 1384 though as they've only got 1... you can have it 😂

lol yeah, that's 3%.

I doubt they have ever had 10 available at one time though.

7 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Got excited when it said 'from 1352' up at 1384 though as they've only got 1... you can have it 😂

Me too lol, although I'm still very tempted and it's in my basket, mmmmmmm

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

🐮🐮🐮 If it's the coin you want and you'll get the extra 50 quids worth of enjoyment over a standard brit or Krug why not. 

Well that ended well,decided to go for it and ended with this??? Now it's gone.

Screenshot_20211025-170425_Chrome.jpg

22 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

🤣 Snooze you lose. 

Brutal. 

You'll get a better priced one in time I'm sure 

BTW it wasn't me

At least the price of gold should stay up...because if I had of bought "down the mountain she goes"🤣🤣

58 minutes ago, 27carrots said:

Someone else nabbed it. :(

No, not then, but I have now!!

Sorry @James32 - it's an itch I've had for a while and my only regret, apart from your loss, is I had to pay that premium as there was only the 1 in stock.

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

27 minutes ago, Coverte said:

No, not then, but I have now!!

Sorry @James32 - it's an itch I've had for a while and my only regret, apart from your loss, is I had to pay that premium as there was only the 1 in stock.

How dare you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 congrats 

47 minutes ago, James32 said:

And to rub salt into the wound this is showing in my account 🙃 

That's very odd, I have this, £1.10 extra due to a small spot move :o

1 oz Buffalo, 25.10.21 ex ATS @ £1386.jpg

1 hour ago, James32 said:

I didn't get it as no money has left account (what about you?)

Yes, I have confirmation emails from both Sagepay and ATS, I just realised on looking it was only about £20 more than an Atkinsons or Chards pre-owned Britannias, so I'm pretty please TBH.