• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone have any experience buying gold from EU post Brexit :(

greektony

I'm looking to buy some gold (only gold, no silver 😪) from goldsilver.be perhaps in the next day or 2. Does anyone have any experience post Brexit buying just gold from the EU? I have purchased from them several times pre Brexit, but should I expect there to be delays due to having to argue over VAT not being applicable with the courier or any other issues?

Gold in the UK (and especially fractional gold) appears to be a little thin on the ground at the moment hence me needing to go back to trusted sources.

Be prepared for a barrel of laughs with FedEx, I just got a resolution to this after nearly 3 months of hassle with both FedEx and making a direct claim with HMRC.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Same here, but then from UK to Europe..... I paid the VAT and import-tax, then immediately started the procedure to re-claimed the VAT and import-tax.....

Still ongoing..... Could take up to 3 months before they even start to look into my case and there will be investigation fees.... 

I was recently faced with a choice buy from https://auragentum.de/ (German bullion dealer) and receive delivery within 3-4 working days (provided it was not held up by customs) or from Chards https://www.chards.co.uk/ and potentially have to wait six weeks. The German dealer was slightly cheaper but when you factor in postage and the fact I could drive and collect from Chards the cost of the bullion worked out the same. Pre-Brexit I would have chosen the German dealer post Brexit UK dealer I wanted to avoid all the headaches associated with VAT and import-tax.

Edited by Abyss

10 hours ago, Jvw said:

Same here, but then from UK to Europe..... I paid the VAT and import-tax, then immediately started the procedure to re-claimed the VAT and import-tax.....

Still ongoing..... Could take up to 3 months before they even start to look into my case and there will be investigation fees.... 

I filled in all the forms plus they never opened the documents on the parcel,then tried to charge £30 tax on a £25 item :P that was dps or dhl.

14 minutes ago, blackadder said:

I filled in all the forms plus they never opened the documents on the parcel,then tried to charge £30 tax on a £25 item :P that was dps or dhl.

Ouch! On mine it said 'flyers and folders' on the customs invoice letter (unopened package). Worth 634 euro's. ?!?!?!?!

Edited by Jvw

23 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Ordered a coin from luxembourg afrived today no issues no fees 

Just wait, sometimes the invoice comes weeks after, thats what happened to me with FedEx

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Just wait, sometimes the invoice comes weeks after, thats what happened to me with FedEx

Also came via royal mail not sure quite how with a french postal mark reputable dealer maybe a loophole i dont know, but i was able to track it via royail mail. Coming from europe?? 

On 10/10/2021 at 21:23, greektony said:

I'm looking to buy some gold (only gold, no silver 😪) from goldsilver.be perhaps in the next day or 2. Does anyone have any experience post Brexit buying just gold from the EU? I have purchased from them several times pre Brexit, but should I expect there to be delays due to having to argue over VAT not being applicable with the courier or any other issues?

Gold in the UK (and especially fractional gold) appears to be a little thin on the ground at the moment hence me needing to go back to trusted sources.

I bought a fair quantity of silver and gold pre-Brexit from Coininvest and Silver-to-go, the same company based in Frankfurt. At that time no issues with import duty or VAT. They're really helpful, I think they have a lot of UK-based customers so may be worth your while having a conversation with them re. hassle-free ways of buying gold coins from the EU.

The fact is there is no VAT payable on investment gold from the EU and no duty on legal tender coins, so there shouldn't be any issues having them posted to you. Having said that there are some nightmare stories on this forum. 

if flying wasn't such a pain these days you could have flown over and got them yourself.

1 hour ago, Chrisplym said:

I am also looking to buy from goldsilver.be but silver 1 oz coins. I am assuming that I will need to pay 20% VAT, but will there be any other charges? Thanks.

Most couriers charge between £8 and £20 admin to process any VAT that is due, even if it is 1p worth. 

No kidding, I had a package from the USA £8.19 charge from Royal Mail. Only 19p was VAT. Needless to say I refused to pay it and the item was returned to the USA.

13 hours ago, noddycoder said:

The fact is there is no VAT payable on investment gold from the EU and no duty on legal tender coins, so there shouldn't be any issues having them posted to you. Having said that there are some nightmare stories on this forum. 

Just a small caveat here, in that the gold coins have to be post-1800 as well as originally legal tender in their country. Probably not a problem for anyone unless they like, as I do, the Spanish 8 or 4 escudos or the Portuguese 6400 reis coins of the later 18th century and early 19th century. Not that I can afford any more of them, and I bought my tiny collection before all this VAT business on purchases from the EU reared it ugly head.

I've had dealings with Coininvest a couple of times post Brexit. To be fair to them, they are all really nice, I've even had a conversation with one of the Directors trying to sort out problems with UPS. They have essentially admitted to me that they are having problems post Brexit because no other courier other than UPS will ship their goods to the UK and they (UPS) seem to make the import/VAT rules up as they go. 

I've had a couple of hundred quids worth of silver come through ok, but when I placed another order in February for 2 x 1oz Au Brits plus a bit of silver UPS tried to charge me about 650 quid charges with no explanation or room for manoeuvre. You are lucky if someone picks up a phone or reads an e mail. 3 months later the parcel arrived back in Frankfurt with Coininvest after I refused to pay. Rather stupidly, I tried another order without the silver this time. Same thing. Coininvest receptionists seemed very embarrassed, their MD had a meeting with UPS but never really got anywhere. To be fair to them, Coininvest refunded me my fairly considerable sum in August. That second order was placed in May and hadn't even arrived back with Coininvest at that point.

I'm new to this game but from what I can gather, it's not worth the hassle of trying to save 20-30 quid a coin when 6 months later nothing has arrived and then there's all the stress (a bit strong maybe!).

On the bright side, in those 6 months the price of gold came tumbling down so it did me a favour in the end!!! 

I spent that money at Bullion House where they sourced 3 different year Au Pandas. Great personal service. Also bought 3 Au Completers from a combination of Atkinson's and Chards, I'd recommend both and these will be my go-to from now on.

Might be a bit more expensive than Coininvest but all coins arrived safely within a week of order.😊

And breathe....