• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Toning milk spots etc

Crabby

One of my oldest videos!

Not recommended to use on anything than the nastiest of bullion coins. You will scratch your coin with this method, but you will have a better looking coin if it was all fingerprinted and milky, thats all!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Which mint is not affected? 😐

I thought Austrian Mint untill the last post. I heard Perth Mint silver does not milk spot? What about Pandas?

On topic - normal dirt marks can be removed by long bathing in a soapy solution. No physical brushing.

Toning is to be expected over years and while it can be removed, it can be quite aestethicelly pleasing as well. A chemical method of removing would be aluminum+soda+boiling water. Some like to use a silver bath solution instead.

I never saw an advisable method for removing milk spots.

There are no mints that produce silver with no irritating milk spots. it's a production flaw when cleaning. juts luck of the draw. obviously some mints do seem to have less of an issue than others seemingly. the new maples withe their mint seal tech seem to be holding up nicely and perth mint fo seem to have less issues. this is why I dont buy proofs. even slabbed they can still get spotting. Another reason I like hand poured and antiqued. never had issues with milking 😀

48 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

Which mint is not affected? 😐

I thought Austrian Mint untill the last post. I heard Perth Mint silver does not milk spot? What about Pandas

To be fair, my experience with them were in 2012, things may have improved since then. That same year I bought 30 maples and 30 kangaroos and was amazed a quickly the Phili's deteriorated. Once bitten I don't go back, stubborn I know.

Also worth looking at older coins as they will have stabilised and are unlikely to change beyond the normal gradual toning. Newer silver coins , especially proofs are a risk when it comes to value beyond bullion later on.

1 minute ago, Chorlton said:

Also worth looking at older coins as they will have stabilised and are unlikely to change beyond the normal gradual toning. Newer silver coins , especially proofs are a risk when it comes to value beyond bullion later on.

I'm a big fan of the pre 1920s. Also I think toning can add to the character of the coin. There is a seller here who always has some nice bits. (Apologies I can't remember who sold this coin, just took a screenshot ages ago).

Screenshot_20211010-142953-272.png.57602e015717378d83bcd384b44b18b8.png