• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why are people stacking Silver over Gold when there is a VAT on silver?

14 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

If you have to pay VAT on silver coins in Spain, than principal goldsilver must charge it to you, in that you are 100% correct. 

As it is not in Belgium on silver coins, we are still happy just as in other EU countries were there is no VAT on silver.

( but if you want to know for sure what goldsilver will do, try to place an order with them from Spain, than you will be sure if they will charge you or not )

i put an order in on goldsilver.be

i put in an order for a 1kg silver bar and a silver coin. i used a UK address - no tax was added at checkout. Of course when it arrives at the UK border it could well end up being taxed 20% and 8% import duty charged.
i used a Spanish address - no taxes added. It might go through unmolested. 

Now we know silver bars are taxed throughout the EU - so you would think there would be some tax. The only way round the VAT charge on a sale would be to sell the silver second hand. All the silver could be sold second hand to make the paperwork similar on coins and bars. Even when selling second hand there is still some VAT to pay on the mark up made by the dealer (profit). Whatever the case there should be some VAT charged and this must be shown on the checkout screen of the website - or at the least it should be stated that the prices include VAT - having said that the prices would vary from EU country to country and the price does not do that on goldsilver.be. 

i recently sent a number of letters from Spain to a friend in Sweden. The first letter i sent registered post and had to declare what was in the letter. It contained some medication i gave a value of 30€. He had tried to import this medication into Sweden and it was confiscated.  i was able to import it and then posted it to him. He was charged tax by the Swedish customs.
I sent some a large quantity of the same medication to this friend but it 3 envelopes. They went standard letter post. The first two were not opened. The third was opened but i had included a personal letter to him saying i was returning his medication. Nothing was charged. Fortunately none of the medication was confiscated. 

The point of the story with the medication is that even when you are sending from one EU country to another you can still have problems with border customs.

i am sure if a package of silver coins was stopped by Spanish customs they would be all over it like a bad rash and you would be charged IVA (VAT) plus various other administration and made up fees. i recently imported a book. The book was about 24€ and the import charges by customs were about 19€. There is not IVA on books but these thieves still steal from you.

If you buy in Belgium and have it sent to a Belgium address you will be fine.
i think the only way to be sure about not paying the tax would be to go to Belgium and buy the silver there. Then take it back home in your personal luggage. You could get goldsilver.be to keep the silver, build up a stock and then have a few days holiday and collect the silver. Clearly you would have to be buying a lot of silver to make it worth while.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Now i had my UK address on the goldsilver.be website - i deleted it and put a Spanish address.
When i came to put the UK address back on, the form doesn't allow for UK addresses other than Northern Ireland.
I wonder if goldsilver.be is selling to the UK at all these days. i have come across a number of EU online sellers who will not sell to the UK anymore.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

56 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Now i had my UK address on the goldsilver.be website - i deleted it and put a Spanish address.
When i came to put the UK address back on, the form doesn't allow for UK addresses other than Northern Ireland.
I wonder if goldsilver.be is selling to the UK at all these days. i have come across a number of EU online sellers who will not sell to the UK anymore.

I mentioned this some time ago in an other topic that because of the strange UK customs situation, they stopped shipping to the UK. It was written on the site for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 19:07, sixgun said:

I noticed this last week with my UK address during the checkout process, i thought there was a problem with my account at goldsilver.be as I haven't ordered from them in quite some time, so I emailed them about the issue I was having and they were able to fix it. I'm just waiting on them to fix their storage issue now:/

2 hours ago, christina said:

I noticed this last week with my UK address during the checkout process, i thought there was a problem with my account at goldsilver.be as I haven't ordered from them in quite some time, so I emailed them about the issue I was having and they were able to fix it. I'm just waiting on them to fix their storage issue now:/

That's interesting to note. A lot of online companies based in the EU have decided not to export to the UK. So it would not have surprised me if goldsilver.be had stopped but having said that it seemed fine with my UK address in there. It was only when i deleted it to put an EU address it and then tried to put it back there was an issue. Interestingly now i go back to the goldsilver.be you can enter a UK address. You must have jogged them into adding the UK to the list.