• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

1 hour ago, Jeremyzed said:

Sorry if you don't mind can you take a snapshot of the remainder of the email as well, I was told I would get the email today but I still don't have it😭.I want to read yours if you don't mind, of course if there isn't any sesntive information on it. Thanks!

It appears as though the email is not aimed at those with the continuation or already secured through an account manager so you should be good anyway mate.

8 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

RM just rang.

They have ordered my portrait of the 2oz, 5oz and 10oz.

They are expecting it in 10 to 15 days apparently.

If you don't mind...can you share the first 4 numbers? Have a few missed calls so not sure

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Thoughts on recent sales and auction results

Very interesting results from the Coin Cabinet auction this last weekend. 5 oz gold Gothic RAW went for £13,500 which is probably a small loss for the seller after fee's - but the PF70 version went for £16,000 which, after fees would be over £1500 profit to £2000 profit depending on grading costs. 

2 oz silvers are changing hands at £400 to £450 - a far cry from the £2000+ for Una & 3G. 

It does make one think about the potential resale value of this set. We are a long way away from the dizzy heights of the Una & Lion and Three graces. 

My thoughts - the Portrait will be a big factor in the coming weeks and months. Are buyers potentially wary of buying the Quartered arms right now not knowing what/how easy it will be to buy the portrait? 

How much will the above help bolster potential prices for these coins is anybody's guess. 

As to where prices will be in 3, 4 or 5 years time is also a big unknown. I cannot imagine very many of these coins selling any time soon. Sellers will be more inclined to hold these because the current sale price minus sellers fees just does not make much sense. 

I find it fascinating that we seem to have gone from "Sure fire Quintuple your money or better" of the Una & Lion to "just about break even" on this set. 

What do you think?

If you have a Gold version of the Gothic Crown what are your feelings right now?

Do you think the ship has sailed or are you confident there will be a tasty financial return in the future?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Well having only one half of a set leaves us bang in the middle of nowhere 🙂

I'd expect the settled price for a complete 2oz silver set to be around £1400+ in a few months ( only a guess ) and if lower at least the coins are nice to look at.

There is one thing that I do believe has had an impact, especially at the start of 2022... The number of releases in a short time, 2022 Sovereign, Gothic Crown, Tudor Beast, Monarchs.... releasing the monarchs with a smaller mintage to me, will kill/hurt the Tudor beast releases. Why go down that route (which is similar to QBs) wen you have a range that looks more exciting!

I've said all along that the coins aren't comparable to the Una (in value terms - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that). Even the 3G's at this point is nowhere near comparable to the Una in terms of value. I do have a bias with regards to the quarter arms as I am quite invested in it at this point having bought several on the secondary market on top of what I was able to buy from the RM. That bias aside though (as much as I can) I do feel comfortable in the long term. The coins will disappear into collections and values should rise as they become harder to get. I think there is still a bit to go with this though as the graded examples will come back at some point and reflood the market.

One thing that has me slightly less confident than I was even just a week ago is the idea that the portrait won't have a general release. There is so much confusion about it here and on Facebook - it would just be good to know for sure what they are doing to have an idea how things will go once that coin officially comes out.

Just now, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I've said all along that the coins aren't comparable to the Una (in value terms - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that). Even the 3G's at this point is nowhere near comparable to the Una in terms of value. I do have a bias with regards to the quarter arms as I am quite invested in it at this point having bought several on the secondary market on top of what I was able to buy from the RM. That bias aside though (as much as I can) I do feel comfortable in the long term. The coins will disappear into collections and values should rise as they become harder to get. I think there is still a bit to go with this though as the graded examples will come back at some point and reflood the market.

One thing that has me slightly less confident than I was even just a week ago is the idea that the portrait won't have a general release. There is so much confusion about it here and on Facebook - it would just be good to know for sure what they are doing to have an idea how things will go once that coin officially comes out.

I don't think there will be a formal release on their site. The reason behind the calls/emails is that they will offer to those who already have. If they decline to take up, then it will go to general release.

4 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

There is one thing that I do believe has had an impact, especially at the start of 2022... The number of releases in a short time, 2022 Sovereign, Gothic Crown, Tudor Beast, Monarchs.... releasing the monarchs with a smaller mintage to me, will kill/hurt the Tudor beast releases. Why go down that route (which is similar to QBs) wen you have a range that looks more exciting!

Exactly....far too many releases for both our sakes and the mint...they are sabotaging their own future if they keep it up.

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Good deterrent for the flippers is all I can say. 😉

I doubt it as all those who bought off the secondary market have bought off flippers and they will be wanting the second coin just as much and with the secondary market buyers not being offered the coins by RM they will be looking to the flippers to complete their sets...... ANYONE WANT A 2oz SILVER???? lol

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Gordy said:

I doubt it as all those who bought off the secondary market have bought off flippers and they will be wanting the second coin just as much and with the secondary market buyers not being offered the coins by RM they will be looking to the flippers to complete their sets...... ANYONE WANT A 2oz SILVER???? lol

Yeah 100% the old flipper flippers will play an important role in this next half of the set    ( simplyby design of the mint)

Anyone want a full set? 😅 only messing anne Jessopp 

48 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

What do you think?

The air is coming out of the bubble, is what I thinks.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

I think the value in these coins are as a pair.

Totally agree, but I think too much emphasis has been placed on the availability and "flippy value" of the 2nd release.

My strategy is to sit back until the day-1 / week-1 madness has subsided, and *hopefully* pick up the leftovers, as coin 2 on its own is just as valuable as coin 1...

Still joining the queue though - see you all there! :D 

5 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

From my personal view as a collector.. I did not want the first coin, without an absolute guarantee of having the second..(so dealer route)

Totally agree with this - but did you not say last week that you had bought privately with no guarantee?

I hope you manage to get the second issue as I agree with most on here that the Quartered Arms on it's own is a bit of a wash out. You need the portrait too. I look at the Alderney set that I have and think that they just don't work on their own. They need to be in a set.

Good luck to all waiting for emails or calls!

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Totally agree, but I think too much emphasis has been placed on the availability and "flippy value" of the 2nd release.

My strategy is to sit back until the day-1 / week-1 madness has subsided, and *hopefully* pick up the leftovers, as coin 2 on its own is just as valuable as coin 1...

Still joining the queue though - see you all there! :D 

Coin 2 - is actually the actual Gothic Crown.. !! 

Queen Victoria in Gothic style, wearing a Gothic crown is more desirable, but you would still want the pair as a collector (flippers note this for the future, if RM, makes a pair of coins again)

Real prices private, dealers, real auctions start for both coins, imho, when the Portrait is out.. 

As I said I picked up a spare 2 oz milled edge... who will blink first in the search for a pair.(I don't need my spare 😉 and all sorts of rumours about how available to Portrait maybe..

and these are low mintages in gold.. and it does look very, very pretty.  

55 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Thoughts on recent sales and auction results

Very interesting results from the Coin Cabinet auction this last weekend. 5 oz gold Gothic RAW went for £13,500 which is probably a small loss for the seller after fee's - but the PF70 version went for £16,000 which, after fees would be over £1500 profit to £2000 profit depending on grading costs. 

2 oz silvers are changing hands at £400 to £450 - a far cry from the £2000+ for Una & 3G. 

It does make one think about the potential resale value of this set. We are a long way away from the dizzy heights of the Una & Lion and Three graces. 

My thoughts - the Portrait will be a big factor in the coming weeks and months. Are buyers potentially wary of buying the Quartered arms right now not knowing what/how easy it will be to buy the portrait? 

How much will the above help bolster potential prices for these coins is anybody's guess. 

As to where prices will be in 3, 4 or 5 years time is also a big unknown. I cannot imagine very many of these coins selling any time soon. Sellers will be more inclined to hold these because the current sale price minus sellers fees just does not make much sense. 

I find it fascinating that we seem to have gone from "Sure fire Quintuple your money or better" of the Una & Lion to "just about break even" on this set. 

What do you think?

If you have a Gold version of the Gothic Crown what are your feelings right now?

Do you think the ship has sailed or are you confident there will be a tasty financial return in the future?

It's probably worth adding I have seen 2oz silver pf70s for around 1k.

There is one currently on fleabay now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2021-Royal-Mint-Great-Engravers-Gothic-Crown-5-Silver-Proof-2oz-Coin-PCGS-PR70-/185272026620?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

If true, I think that's strong.

2 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

Coin 2 - is actually the actual Gothic Crown.. !! 

Queen Victoria in Gothic style, wearing a Gothic crown is more desirable, but you would still want the pair as a collector (flippers note this for the future, if RM, makes a pair of coins again)

Real prices private, dealers, real auctions start for both coins, imho, when the Portrait is out.. 

As I said I picked up a spare 2 oz milled edge... who will blink first in the search for a pair.(I don't need my spare 😉 and all sorts of rumours about how available to Portrait maybe..

and these are low mintages in gold.. and it does look very, very pretty.  

Auction you're spare on here starting at rrp 😁 think of it as a psychological experiment 🤔