• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

The older engravers really were astounding in how they approached design.

I feel the current Royal Mint designers play it very safe and seem to shy away from complex designs - except for Jody Clark (who’s QB designs were quite detailed and felt like modern classics) and John Bergdahl (whose designs have become more intricate with age and experience, and they hark back to the 19th century coinage designs).

Timothy Noad’s designs feel very safe too. His 2002, 2005, and 2022 Sovereign designs seem “to the book” and too “literal”. IMO.

I mean, look at the detail and the textured engravings in the shield, the lion, the unicorn, the plumes… and this was done in the 19th century when minting technology wasn’t as advanced as it is today.

image.jpeg.2ad9dc9fe7f134a08732cb88a043d0c7.jpeg

I really wish for bolder designers who can elevate new coinage designs.

15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I feel the current Royal Mint designers play it very safe and seem to shy away from complex designs - except for Jody Clark (who’s QB designs were quite detailed and felt like modern classics) and John Bergdahl (whose designs have become more intricate with age and experience, and they hark back to the 19th century coinage designs).

Timothy Noad’s designs feel very safe too. His 2002, 2005, and 2022 Sovereign designs seem “to the book” and too “literal”. IMO.

I mean, look at the detail and the textured engravings in the shield, the lion, the unicorn, the plumes… and this was done in the 19th century when minting technology wasn’t as advanced as it is today.

That is stunning!

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

30 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

What a beauty. No clue if this one thousand, or one million worth, just incredible beautiful. Do you think, people in 200 years will look at a Gibraltar Monkey, or a Barbadian Flamingo coin with feelings like this? 

4 hours ago, dikefalos said:

If i would be the mint, i just had to decide for one, of two ways. Increase the mintage, or get first in contact with your customers, that are buying for years. The continuity option for this set and the Tudors are great for buyers, also the new ones. Of course a higher mintage would lower the secondary market. As the mint, i wouldn't care about it a lot. It's enough if they hold their value, better something more. If it is 50, or 500% is almost meaningless for the mint. For one coin, like Una, is great, will increase the interest for RM coins. But if it goes like this with almost every coin, almost every week, couldn't be good and we could see soon a secondary market for RM proofs, like a couple of years ago. 

Somebody linked this video here in the forum, which should open up a lot of collectors eyes, even it is mainly about the videogame market. Same people are involved, like in coin grading and auctioning. Wasn't this Una hype starting with a auction result at Heritage? If you ain't want, or have the time, to watch the whole video, go around minute 38. The fraud with graded coins in the early days of grading. If you watch the whole Video, you see, which people are involved until today.

I don't say, everything is a fraud, but we should be aware of what and for what kind of money we are buying. 

this was a very interesting video to watch, and very eye opening and easily relatedable to the coin market

Heritage are certainly one of the auction houses bringing home the best prices at this time  

2 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, but a bit of information on the price difference between the elusive 70 grade, and a 69! HUGE!

C6D605FB-0CA3-4EA3-B807-08DF08345FF4.thumb.jpeg.accc321387610ff060644f930bc9625b.jpeg

I guess after auction and grading fees, the seller would have received about £465 net! ball park!

Maybe because heritage marked it as MS 69 in the a grade description. I’d be a furious vendor if it was my coin 😱 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

Maybe because heritage marked it as MS 69 in the a grade description. I’d be a furious vendor if it was my coin 😱 

Yep. They are consistently getting it wrong. Whether PR instead of PF and MS when clearly proof etc. 

We all have our off and odd days with listings on the forum but we all aren’t running a massive auction house…

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

Yep. They are consistently getting it wrong. Whether PR instead of PF and MS when clearly proof etc. 

We all have our off and odd days with listings on the forum but we all aren’t running a massive auction house…

Another double post. The irony given the comment, too.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Oh wow looks gorgeous!!! 🤩 

Does the box indicate at all that it is a plain edge?

I’d have thought they’d use different packaging to easily distinguish it from the milled edge.

the box just looks the standard issue now ive compared to current feebay listings

it is just the COA/insert that shows the edge type: plain edge and the mintage numbers for 125 in this presentation, 131 total mintage

and taking a look at the coin you can obviously see the edge is plain through the clear capsule

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

the box just looks the standard issue now ive compared to current feebay listings

it is just the COA/insert that shows the edge type: plain edge and the mintage numbers for 125 in this presentation, 131 total mintage

and taking a look at the coin you can obviously see the edge is plain through the clear capsule

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

Excuse the language, but on occasion I think we can turn a blind eye. This is ******* ********* ******** ******* ****** ******************** **** ******* ********* beautiful. 

@Paul nice mate the 2nd portrait will be here soon, hope it’s  not another month wait for that.   Can’t wait to get hands on my 5oz gold portrait.  

feel sorry for those who have bought on the secondary market, can see some unscrupulous people hiking up the price on the 2nd coin, definitely some eBay shenanigans incoming. 

51 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Liar liar pants on fire. You said it’s going to the safe party with Una, Aglaia, Thalia, and Euphrosyne. ☺️

noooooooooooo - its going nowhere near that den of iniquity - feebay

I will happily watch how this does from the side lines for the next few year and enjoy the journey and share it here with others  

Edited by Paul

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

It funny you mention a comment like that, but receiving this coin, in the past hour has made me rack my memories back through this stacking journey of mine the past decade and what i've done, places i've visited, people i've met, sacrifices i've made, savings i've done, money i've not gambled, wealth i've accumulated, created the pension pot i never had, hard physical work i've done to turn into a lovely visual physical piece art/value in my hand. 

Knowing i hold a future classic & always in demand piece, makes me a little proud i've done good :)  

Inspirational.