• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Coin cabinet premium auction sale today . 

£12k for a pf70 gothic milled edge  2oz sold today . Not to bad to I suppose @Frenchie

As @Paulo did mention, this was a Plain Edge, it would have just been ok for a PF70 milled edge, but a disapointing price for a PF70 Plain Edge IMHO. There was also a Sovereign 2022 5 coin set with a PF69 5 Sov, (other coins PF70) sold at £6500... I don't know if this is a new underlying trend, but the market for modern collectible coins seems soft and  seeks itself, maybe with uncertainty and a rising price of gold that makes liquidity (bullion coins) more sought after. The problem could also come from too many releases leading to market saturation (that's just my feeling and other opinions are welcome)

Edited by Frenchie

3 minutes ago, RiverbankSilver said:

An update on this coin..

I thought I would take the gamble and send this coin in for grading.

I am pleased to say it is on its way back as a 70 😎

Maybe zooming in on a coin with my camera isn’t the thing to do in the future.. 💫

That's encouraging 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 hours ago, RiverbankSilver said:

An update on this coin..

I thought I would take the gamble and send this coin in for grading.

I am pleased to say it is on its way back as a 70 😎

Maybe zooming in on a coin with my camera isn’t the thing to do in the future.. 💫

I’ve had similar. That’s why they say buy the coin not the grade. Some 70s will look better to some buyers than others I guess 🤷‍♂️ 

Congrats on the grade though! 70

is a very good indication 😃 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Is anyone else still waiting on a 1kg silver Gothic QA + portrait?    It's getting beyond joke dealing with the Royal Mint. 

Wonder are they waiting for a dip in price?😅

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Is anyone else still waiting on a 1kg silver Gothic QA + portrait?    It's getting beyond joke dealing with the Royal Mint. 

Same postion, I was told they came in on the 9th & 15th March but not sent out to me.

On 27/04/2022 at 14:16, GoldDiggerDave said:

I have cancelled both of my GC kilo orders...probably a fantastic coin in hand but I have located a 2022 Sovereign 5 coin Piedfort Pattern set and I made the choice....Maybe these Piedfort Sovereign will come back graded before the GC Kilo are dispatched ! 

Edited by Frenchie

8 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I have cancelled both my GC kilo orders...probably a fantastic coin in hand but I have located a 2022 Sovereign 5 coin Piedfort Pattern set and I made the choice....Maybe these Piedfort Sovereign will come back graded before the GC Kilo are dispatched ! 

You made the right choice 100%

6 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I have cancelled both my GC kilo orders...probably a fantastic coin in hand but I have located a 2022 Sovereign 5 coin Piedfort Pattern set and I made the choice....Maybe these Piedfort Sovereign will come back graded before the GC Kilo are dispatched ! 

Well done sourcing the piedfort set Lionel :) i will live to regret it I'm sure but I'm going to give the set a miss due to ££££

@Frenchie I'm convinced the RM want customers to cancel the orders for the large silvers to let them off the hook.   Just how they can not source, or make their own blanks for the larger silver coins, or even the cardboard box is more than little embarrassing IMO.   They are supposed to be the best mint in the world and had over 1136 years to perfect their business model and they can't get a box or the blank? 

I've just had 2x 2oz silver coins that are just garbage quality,  1 with a large scratch and another with handling rub marks.    

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Just now, marston59 said:

I recieved the same comment from the Royal Mint, they cannot obtain the 1 kilo blanks, its nearly 5 months since I paid.

So we know the RM don't produce the blanks, they don't make the boxes........It's begging the question what do they do?   I think with the monarch series they miss out on a real trick they could have just hand made them in Wales, knock up some rough silver blanks and hand hammer them......Honestly I would have loved a modern hammered coin for the collection.     It's looking like the RM are in trouble here it won't  be long before they can solve this by selling us all NFT coins.  

16 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

So we know the RM don't produce the blanks, they don't make the boxes........It's begging the question what do they do?   I think with the monarch series they miss out on a real trick they could have just hand made them in Wales, knock up some rough silver blanks and hand hammer them......Honestly I would have loved a modern hammered coin for the collection.     It's looking like the RM are in trouble here it won't  be long before they can solve this by selling us all NFT coins.  

A marketing company and a bad one at that 🙄 

😂 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Well done sourcing the piedfort set Lionel :) i will live to regret it I'm sure but I'm going to give the set a miss due to ££££

Yes, this is a big sacrifice. But I prefered to sell other things and reposition myself as I did not want to miss this opportunity for a set that could be symbolic and historical  in the years to come. This will be a nice  heritage to own for the future and it'll be the icing on the cake if it comes back graded PF70 :) 

22 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Given they are squirrelling away multiple perfect coins to NGC for grading/ price gouging with their “partners” I think having real hammered coins would have made this tricky for them to do. I fear the mint are making an awful lot of mistakes at the moment. Their “reputation” will only take them so o far before folks have had enough, getting close myself. 
I agree though, proper hammered coins would have been good though.  

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

On 29/04/2022 at 07:53, marston59 said:

I recieved the same comment from the Royal Mint, they cannot obtain the 1 kilo blanks, its nearly 5 months since I paid.

Interesting in light of the recent city views London launch where they are offering 50 Kilo coins: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/city-views/london-2022-1kg-silver-proof-coin/

How long will the wait be for those?

3 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Interesting in light of the recent city views London launch where they are offering 50 Kilo coins: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/city-views/london-2022-1kg-silver-proof-coin/

How long will the wait be for those?

They should offer to sell them at a hefty discount if someone trades in their kilo queen's beasts bullion for upcycling 😜

The US Mint also doesn't produce their own proof blanks. Not even the 1 OZ blanks. Didn't ever thought about, that blanks for proof coins are different, than bullion blanks.

Looks like they all think it's better, to safe a couple pennies, instead of having enough stock to mint everything they sell.