• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storing sovereigns - are capsules worth it?

DukeSilver

35 minutes ago, Skyfiller said:

22mm internal diameter capsules. The case comes with 100 capsules.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08TQBLR8J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I am struggling to compute how a plastic case would not move/buckle given the relative weight inside it, but for the money maybe suitable for some, but again, I personally, would not want a see through bulk storage case.

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

Quadrum cases for me. Every mm size from 1/4 sov to £5 gold piece and everything looks great in laser cut black mount. I'm a bit OCD though. 

This, given the value of contents, it's worth the money.

Given content/s value/cost - I see little to no point in going cheap on bulk capsule storage.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

On 25/09/2021 at 09:14, dicker said:

Personally I keep all of my gold coins in capsules. 

Why?  Simply because I am the custodian I want to preserve them for the next soul to own them.

Best

Dicker

+1   The answer that best describes my feeling and thinking regarding capsules.  

Additional, I don’t like scratches or dents of any kind in whatever I collect (whether that may be precious metals, collector’s items, etc).  I just want them in like new condition.   It’s a psychological thing that is completely not in tune with reality.  But that’s ok, because that is what makes me happy.  😝

31 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I use airtite capsules and tubesfor mine. Each tube holds 21 Sovereigns

thumbnail_IMG20210926195109.jpg

thumbnail_IMG20210926195132.jpg

Beautiful!!  😍

2 hours ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

This is my preferred method as these lighthouse capsules are what fit in Aluns boxes which is what i used to motivate myself. 10 sovereigns loose are underwhelming, i found the capsule and boxes bulked it up a bit. For me it’s worth it. Posted these pics on another thread about sovereign storage it may be worth you doing a search and finding it. The capsules are now in air tite tubes and safe deposit storage but having them in capsules in the boxes looked the best.

FE4525CA-149E-4D44-8328-AB99BC15BC66.jpeg

C4EC368D-CF71-4F6C-BE55-7C58FF060ECA.jpeg

54595894-9DB2-4C0B-891D-6AC97AF0E12A.jpeg

12B81818-C215-413F-8965-EB757BF0F09F.jpeg

Gawd damn!   Love it thx for sharing!  😍👍 

4 hours ago, danmc82 said:

I use airtite capsules and tubesfor mine. Each tube holds 21 Sovereigns

thumbnail_IMG20210926195132.jpg

Yep, I use T22 Air-Tites also.  I just bought some capsules though, not enough coins for a tube... yet!

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

9 minutes ago, Hunter87 said:

The fantastic thing about this hoppy / addiction is that you can make up your own mind how you want to store your coins. 

Absolutely....there is no wrong or right...store them in a secure place at home....or a secure vault with a bullion dealer...Hmmmm makes me think of the Hatton garden job.....no place is safe if you think of it..its just luck...if you are going to display your collection of silver and gold on here or any forums online well....you open yourself upto all kinds of deviants..I can understand to a certain degree people showing their entire collection of coins on here for instance...lets face it..its a (Look what I have)...bit of boasting and showing off!! Something I wouldn't do...and the reason is there some very unscrupulous but very intelligent hackers of your laptops that can access your name,address,bank accounts etc and it's not difficult to discover where you live.

I read a comment on here earlier about the coininvest auction...(maybe got the name wrong) who had their stock stolen from the Hilton Hotel this weekend. Absolutely heartbreaking for them and I empathise totally.... but just goes to show that there are people out there..professional thieves that do their research and due diligence when planning major robberies like this...anyone that posts their coins of significant value or show their entire collection.....is asking to be robbed..unless you have your collection in a safety vault.... which as we all know isn't 100% secure....dont show/boast and display photos of  your collection on any forum...I wouldn't but if you do....dont blame anyone but yourself if...and hopefully it never happens to you..one day you wake up and find your collection missing😲😞😞😞😞😞😞

10 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Absolutely....there is no wrong or right...store them in a secure place at home....or a secure vault with a bullion dealer...Hmmmm makes me think of the Hatton garden job.....no place is safe if you think of it..its just luck...if you are going to display your collection of silver and gold on here or any forums online well....you open yourself upto all kinds of deviants..I can understand to a certain degree people showing their entire collection of coins on here for instance...lets face it..its a (Look what I have)...bit of boasting and showing off!! Something I wouldn't do...and the reason is there some very unscrupulous but very intelligent hackers of your laptops that can access your name,address,bank accounts etc and it's not difficult to discover where you live.

I read a comment on here earlier about the coininvest auction...(maybe got the name wrong) who had their stock stolen from the Hilton Hotel this weekend. Absolutely heartbreaking for them and I empathise totally.... but just goes to show that there are people out there..professional thieves that do their research and due diligence when planning major robberies like this...anyone that posts their coins of significant value or show their entire collection.....is asking to be robbed..unless you have your collection in a safety vault.... which as we all know isn't 100% secure....dont show/boast and display photos of  your collection on any forum...I wouldn't but if you do....dont blame anyone but yourself if...and hopefully it never happens to you..one day you wake up and find your collection missing😲😞😞😞😞😞😞

One of your favourite threads is "today I received" 

What are you planning? 😁 

8 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

One of your favourite threads is "today I received" 

What are you planning? 😁 

I'm always planning but nothing like that 😄my uncle used to be in the police arts and antiques division...he always told me never display anything valuable online that could be linked to an email address or website because the fact is professional hackers/criminals can get alot of information just from your email..or usernames etc... And ive only posted once on the "today I received " thread and that was only 4 silver coins...so don't think anyone will be coming after me haha.. 😆

I agree with @CollectorNo1 regarding privacy and anonymity for safety reasons.  However if one takes prudent steps to safe guard your online presence, the risk can be minimized.  For example, my username here can’t be tracked back to my Facebook or LinkedIn profile, as my personal name is not used here.   Also I don’t post on Facebook or Instagram, and if anything, it’s totally unrelated to my PM interests.   My email has 2 factor authentication, so it’s unlikely someone can hack my email without my knowledge.  

Having said all that, if a professional hacker really wants to steal your information and goes to the trouble of finding out who you are and where you live in order to steal from you, there is nothing you can do about it.  If anything, the Pegasus spyware (that was discovered and reported in the news a couple of months ago) showed that state sponsored infiltration can easily be done without even accepting a text or phone call.  The only true way to avoid any type of hacking is to totally remove your digital footprint and live life before the invention of modern day electronics and communication.   And I’m not sure if I would be willing to go that far to protect my identity.  

My sovs used to be in circular 22.5mm capsules, but they are now in Quadrum capsules.

Like some others have said, I like to preserve them in as good a condition as I can, and enjoy the pleasure of ownership.
But that's probably because I'm more of a collector than a stacker.  Whatever suits each of us indidually - there's no truly wrong answer here :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 23:00, Richym99 said:

I have just paid £422 for a 1930P, albeit MS grade. The grade makes all the difference to the value. 

Of the "small head" George V sovs issued between 1929 and 1931 inc (and 32 in South Africa), the Perth mint coins are either regarded as scarce or rare, whilst the Melbourne coins are even rarer. All the SA dates are common. Sydhey and London did not issue sovereigns in those years.  

Even if you don't want to swing to the expense of a copy of Marsh, I would suggest at least going onto playbooks and buying a downloadable copy of Spink's Coins of  England (Which covers everything from Roman times to 1971 for all denominations)  together with the Decimal version, covering 1971 to the modern day. You will soon get your money back.  

Or get to the library and take photos

Edited by tallthinkev

On 26/09/2021 at 19:35, Chrisplym said:

Great collection! I also store my coins in a safe deposit box. The safest way.

I use cap for all my silver, gold and platinum coins. And bars if i can source them.

Off-site storage is the best way to go. I also get my deliveries to different addresses. This adds another level of protection to your collection too!

I will on occasion bring home for viewing certain coins or collections. I have some lunar 2 tigers on display at the moment now that the Perth Mint are releasing some of the Lunar 3 tigers.

• 1 year later...
On 25/09/2021 at 21:30, LawrenceChard said:

That's a good idea.

We used to be able to source acid-free white paper / card discs, which we used to use for pricing coins in old-fashioned, but excellent mahogany coin cabinets, mostly Swann cabinets. We have probably not bought any for the last 20 years, and I sometime find myself scratting round for some, and I can't recall who we used to buy them from, otherwise they would be good, and probably worth buying in bulk rather than making your own.

I recently got a Swann cabinet at an auction. looks similar to this but minus a key. If anyone can get a key or even cut one for me I be very grateful?

https://media.numisbids.com/sales/hosted/dnw/169/image01018.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Swann except what has been posted in Wiki. I never seen his advert in coin books in all my time of collecting so maybe he does not advertise there? I know Tim Swann stop making coin cabinet in 2000. You still see them in Royal Mint youtube videos.

8 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

I recently got a Swann cabinet at an auction. looks similar to this but minus a key. If anyone can get a key or even cut one for me I be very grateful?

https://media.numisbids.com/sales/hosted/dnw/169/image01018.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Swann except what has been posted in Wiki. I never seen his advert in coin books in all my time of collecting so maybe he does not advertise there? I know Tim Swann stop making coin cabinet in 2000. You still see them in Royal Mint youtube videos.

Well done.

They are beautifully made.

I can see from the photo that it is a 10 drawer model, Do you have a link to the actual listing rather than just the photo?

The keys always go missing!

You can probably get one at most lock shops, possibly even a Timpson (shoe repair) branch.

😎

Chards