• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First sovereign coin purchase

muneeb

Well done hope it's the first of many for you. It looks a nice coin. 

There's a sale listing from @1stsovereignwith some victoria jubilee head sovs at £320 each.

I'm not clued up on the specific dates and mintages if there is something about that date or mintage or mint mark it might fetch a little more 

38 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Well done hope it's the first of many for you. It looks a nice coin. 

There's a sale listing from @1stsovereignwith some victoria jubilee head sovs at £320 each.

I'm not clued up on the specific dates and mintages if there is something about that date or mintage or mint mark it might fetch a little more 

Hi there,

Thank you so much. I will have a look at those.

I am really interested in getting the 1918 Bombay mint sovereign. That’s next on my list hopefully.🤞

1891 Sovs London Mint have a mintage of around 6.3 million.. I'd say between £380-£440 for sovreign of this year in decent condition depending where you purchase it... Just a few tips if you are going to buy more in the future...the shield backs tend to be more desirable, also look at the Melbourne and Sydney mints as they minted fewer sovreigns than the London Mint and are very collectable..there are many different varieties..do a little research you will be surprised on the differences.

The 1918 GV is a nice one to have as was only minted in bombay for that year with around only  1,000,000 produced.

Good luck with your collecting...you can't go wrong with sovreigns..but stay away from Ebay!!

27 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

1891 Sovs London Mint have a mintage of around 6.3 million.. I'd say between £380-£440 for sovreign of this year in decent condition depending where you purchase it... Just a few tips if you are going to buy more in the future...the shield backs tend to be more desirable, also look at the Melbourne and Sydney mints as they minted fewer sovreigns than the London Mint and are very collectable..there are many different varieties..do a little research you will be surprised on the differences.

The 1918 GV is a nice one to have as was only minted in bombay for that year with around only  1,000,000 produced.

Good luck with your collecting...you can't go wrong with sovreigns..but stay away from Ebay!!

Thank you so much for your advice and guidance!

I have had a look at shields and they were out of my current budget. But this is something I would love to add to my collection too.

Are there any websites you recommend where I can get more information on the different type of sovereigns?

The 1918 one is definitely next on my list. Would eBay be reliable if it comes with certificates and boxing etc?

Kind Regards

MB

I doubt very much you would get a 1918 India mint sovreign with a box and c.o.a... Google Gold sovreigns or if you have YouTube you can get a lot of information from there..but avoid Ebay..there is an abundance of fake sovreigns going around atm...and always have been...stick to the well established bullion dealers Like Chards,bullionbypost,baird@co,and atkinsons...moreover members of TSF...but stay away from Ebay unless its an established seller with great feedback..even then think twice.

Regards.

48 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The 1891 coin you purchased is in average grade and condition, worth a small premium to a bullion sov but not too much.

Hi there,

How much would you say it’s worth? Also what would you describe as average grade?

regards

3 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

What's wrong with eBay ? 😂 Actually some of my best purchases were/are from a guy in Scotland who is very reasonable and posts the next day . You really must avoid the sellers who normally sell car parts , videos and clothes.  If they include the phrase house clearance run like hell 

3 minutes ago, pricha said:

What's wrong with eBay ? 😂 Actually some of my best purchases were/are from a guy in Scotland who is very reasonable and posts the next day . You really must avoid the sellers who normally sell car parts , videos and clothes.  If they include the phrase house clearance run like hell 

Well there are alot of lovely gold sovreigns on there atm...very cheap,you should buy them before they get sold.....🤪🤣

13 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Well there are alot of lovely gold sovreigns on there atm...very cheap,you should buy them before they get sold.....🤪🤣

This is true.  There are some sellers who I have dealt with (two or three) who sell batches of nice Sovereigns but at a price!

I am talking Shields in good condition.  Almost always auctions and the prices are always toppy 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 17:25, pricha said:

"What's wrong with eBay ?"

You answered your own question:

"You really must avoid the sellers who normally sell car parts , videos and clothes.  If they include the phrase house clearance run like hell" 😎

Although I coulld add: ... and the ones who sell fakes, use copied photos, offer stuff they don't have, the ones who post you something entirely different, then claim they have a delivery receipt, and it's you who is the crook...

But I only have limited knowledge, there must be thousands, if not millions, of fraud reports out there.

It is a shame, because as you point out there are some OK people buying and selling there; they probably also suffer from the understandable suspicion that arises.

Oh, and ebay are greedy, dishonest b******s!

Chards