• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

help with identification

8 hours ago, 1604 said:

Does anyone recognize these coins or know anything about these them?

IMG_20210816_123000.jpg

IMG_20210816_122945.jpg

Most hammered silver coins like this are easy to identify if you have seen lots of them before, but otherwise require some hard work and diligence.

Try reading the lettering on when where applicable, so the top left coin in the bottom photo looks like it says henri... which should give you a clue as to where to start.

I suggest getting a clean sheet of paper and writing down what you can see, leaving spaces or underscores, then write any alternative interpretations on lines above or below your strarting line.

Also rotate the coins as you go. Try to work out which is the top and bottom of each side of each coin.

Photograph each separately, and don't forget to crop them. Rotating the photos is actually better than rotating the coins, as you can effectively use huge magnification.

If and when you manage to get some of the lettering or inscription, try using Google, it might be much quicker than the old-fashioned method of poring through many catalogues.

This all require some effort and dedication, but when you manage to identify each one, you should quite rightly feel a sense of achievement. You will also have gained knowledge and skills which will stay with you.

This answer might not be what you were hoping to hear, but it should be of the greatest benefit long term.

In case it is of any interest, it is what I have had to do over many years, partly because there has often been nobody handy to ask, but also out of a sense of pride. I will still ask when I get stuck. 🙂

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Fairly sure that the 1st coin is a half penny. Reference:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces162257.html (may not be Edward 1 specifically)

The other ones are quite tough. I'd think there may be some religious roots to them, considering the pillars with perhaps crosses, and the one coin that depicts a temple. May be some form of crusader coin?

Thank you guys:D

I identified 4/5 coins so far.
Have to say that without today's technology I don't know how they did it before the internet.
And I am still left with one that it's unidentified. Since three are from Austria and one from England, I'm gonna spent the weekend going through numista trying to search 9-13ct Austria/England.

Cross coin
King Henry III - 1 Penny (1216-1247)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces90191.html

Two coins with two towers and a pyramid
Bishopric of Salzburg - Adalbert III von Böhmen - 1 Pfennig (800-1500)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82127.html

The three towers coin
Bishopric of Salzburg - Eberhard I - 1 Pfennig (1147-1164)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces95753.html

What do you guys think should I send them for grading or is that a futile effort?
They were in the coin collection of my grandfather. I am not a collector of coins this old and have no previous experience with them, to be frank I don't even know are they worth anything, since numista doesn't say anything and there are no listings for them on sites I know.  

3 hours ago, Alex944 said:

Fairly sure that the 1st coin is a half penny. Reference:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces162257.html (may not be Edward 1 specifically)

The other ones are quite tough. I'd think there may be some religious roots to them, considering the pillars with perhaps crosses, and the one coin that depicts a temple. May be some form of crusader coin?

The normal presumption would be a penny, as halfpennies were not minted as frequently, or in such quantity.

Also the coin on the linked Numista page clearly reads ED..., not HENRI...

Chards

34 minutes ago, 1604 said:

Thank you guys:D

I identified 4/5 coins so far.
Have to say that without today's technology I don't know how they did it before the internet.
And I am still left with one that it's unidentified. Since three are from Austria and one from England, I'm gonna spent the weekend going through numista trying to search 9-13ct Austria/England.

Cross coin
King Henry III - 1 Penny (1216-1247)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces90191.html

Two coins with two towers and a pyramid
Bishopric of Salzburg - Adalbert III von Böhmen - 1 Pfennig (800-1500)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82127.html

The three towers coin
Bishopric of Salzburg - Eberhard I - 1 Pfennig (1147-1164)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces95753.html

What do you guys think should I send them for grading or is that a futile effort?
They were in the coin collection of my grandfather. I am not a collector of coins this old and have no previous experience with them, to be frank I don't even know are they worth anything, since numista doesn't say anything and there are no listings for them on sites I know.  

Why would you want to have them graded?

Enjoy them for their history and beauty. After all, if you met Mia Pojatina, would you prefer her to be sealed up in a plastic case, or just as she is?

To confirm the coins' ID, you could try taking them into a museum in Zagreb or elsewhere.

Chards

17 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Why would you want to have them graded?

Enjoy them for their history and beauty. After all, if you met Mia Pojatina, would you prefer her to be sealed up in a plastic case, or just as she is?

To confirm the coins' ID, you could try taking them into a museum in Zagreb or elsewhere.

I had to check who is Mia Pojatina (I am a closed loner preoccupied with my gold and don't watch TV so I didn't know.)
If I meet Mija I would most definitely put her and me both in a condom double wrapped it, maybe even Dexterized the room just to be sure. :D

The idea with the museum is ok, the grading was to be sure they are what they are and to have them encased like Han Solo, forever in their plastic coffin for my own sick and twisted pleasure like Jabba the Hutt.

2 hours ago, 1604 said:

I had to check who is Mia Pojatina (I am a closed loner preoccupied with my gold and don't watch TV so I didn't know.)
If I meet Mija I would most definitely put her and me both in a condom double wrapped it, maybe even Dexterized the room just to be sure. :D

The idea with the museum is ok, the grading was to be sure they are what they are and to have them encased like Han Solo, forever in their plastic coffin for my own sick and twisted pleasure like Jabba the Hutt.

Mia spoke very highly of you, but you never know, maybe she is just a gold digger after your stash.

I always prefer the real thing, and don't watch much TV either. It sounds like you watch more films than I do, although I have heard of Hans and Jabba.

Although we have not yet been to Zagreb, we have visited Croatia a few times, once driving down the coast to Split.

Our favourite coffee and ice cream shop is Laguna in Vrsar.

Chards

3 hours ago, Liam84 said:

Harrison Ford In lederhosen flying the Mercedes Falcon.

Thank you Lawrence, that one (I suspect comically deliberate) misspelling brought a good deal of mirth to my afternoon.

Excellent coins OP, what a wonderful inheritance.

Actually, no, my Hans instead of Han was more of a typo, or fingers and brain not in sync. ☺️

Chards

13 minutes ago, 1604 said:

I am from Istria (originally) :D

The best ice cream is in Pula near Arena.

Next time you are in the neighborhood send DM.

Her Hans Zolo.

We aim for Portoroz in Slovenia, also Istria, but then visit Croatia.

The Roman arena in Pula is impressive.

Alll the ice cream in both counries is good, I think they all copied the Italians.

If you Google Laguna in Vrsar, you will find a good video of a phallic ice cream, entertainment is thrown in free with most ice creams.

Chards