• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Queen's Beast Lion

oliversw5

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the price it is the same roughly as a normal krugerrand.  

So i presume it is a standard bullion coin.

Think i will get one over the course of this year 

Bet the 2oz one will be nice to hold 

The Queen's Beasts are ten heraldic statues depicting the genealogy of Queen Elizabeth II. 
They were commissioned by the British Ministry of Works from sculptor James Woodford (who was paid the sum of £2,750 for the work) 
to stand in front of the temporary western annexe to Westminster Abbey for the Queen's coronation in 1953. 

The beasts are some six-foot (1.83 m) high, cast in plaster, and could not therefore be left in the open air. 

The beasts are: 

• the lion of England
  • the griffin of Edward III
  • the falcon of the Plantagenets, 
  • the black bull of Clarence
  • the yale of Beaufort
  • the white lion of Mortimer
  • the White Greyhound of Richmond
  • the red dragon of Wales
  • the unicorn of Scotland, 
  • and the white horse of Hanover.
  • After the coronation, they were removed to the Great Hall in Hampton Court Palace and, in 1957, were relocated to St George's Hall at Windsor Castle. 

The beasts were taken into storage in April 1958 whilst their future was considered. It was eventually decided to offer them to the Commonwealth governments and Canada, 
being the senior nation, was offered them first. In June 1959, the Canadian government accepted the beasts and they were shipped there in July. 
Originally, the only part of the statues to be coloured was their heraldic shields; but, for the celebrations of the Canadian federation in 1967, the statues were painted in their full heraldic colours. 
They are now in the care of the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau.

In 1958, Sir Henry Ross, Chairman of the Distillers Company in Edinburgh, paid for Portland stone replicas of these statues, which are on display outside the Palm House at Kew Gardens. 
The beasts also served as models for topiary at Hall Place, Bexley. 

12 minutes ago, morezone said:

Looks like its another exclusive commission like the Lunar privys.  Wonder what the premiums will be like on the silver.

Although Wholesale Direct Metals are only identified as the exclusive distributor in North America, not worldwide. This could suggest they will also be available from different source(s) in Europe.

Just had a chat with the Royal Mint. The coins haven't been released in the UK yet. They had no idea when they would be, offered to send me an email when they were. 

Why are the Germans selling them and in the US there's a distributor, and we know sweet FA?

Now I'm not supposed to be a gold "collector", but I'm very very very tempted to buy one of each 1/4 oz, (if it's a 10 coin set). Would love the 1 oz, but that would be way outside my budget. :(

The 2oz silver will be a nice buy IF, and it's a big if, there isn't a massive premium attached to it.

Archived