• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What brings you to this hobby

On 31/07/2021 at 14:29, Dan12345 said:

Hi to all 

I just wanted to start a thread to get people's stories on what the main reason is you collect the coins you do. There's plenty of different types to collect whether it be moden coins historic coins gold coins silver coins British coins world coins graded or ungraded the list goes on. For some it's an investment and others a hobby, Being new to this hobby I was interested in other people's reasons for Collecting.

For me I do have some modern coins and will collect others which but they don't really get me that excited, I prefer historical coins as I find they have a story to tell and i love history. I really like the feel of and old coin so am not to fussed about graded mint coins in slabs although they are amazing coins and nice to look at but I like to hold and feel a coin.

Everyone is different so what does it for you

Great topic, interesting to hear different ideas. For me it's to diversify a portion of my long term savings. I do enjoy reading some of the history of the old world silver and gold coins. My original plan was to buy modern bullion coins but this year got on to old coinage due to the price difference. I don't consider it an investment as such more as an insurance or a plan B and like I mentioned a diversified way of saving some 'money' 

1 hour ago, Alex944 said:

All in all, it has turned into more of a hobby than an investment, though I do consider it a strong investment for long term wealth protection. Some people's hobbies are money pits that only cost you, but at least with this hobby I'll be able to pull out some of my finances (if I so wish) AND I get nice and shiny things.

As hobbies go, buying 'money' can't be such a bad option can it? 

I n recent times my already very low regard for Government in general and financial institutions in particular has reached zero. If you can have negative interest rates then i dont see why i cant have a less than zero regard for same so there is scope for even more derision. 

in the real world, I cant avoid these organisations but i can build a hedge in the form of physical metals.

On 02/08/2021 at 05:15, TechSilver said:

Started of as an alternative investment after the 2008 financial crash, but has morphed into a hobby now

Just wish I had more spare cash to buy collectible coins; Get's boring buying Eagles, Britannia's, Maples, etc.

Have to window shop for Mint of Poland or Coin Investment Trust coins - My YouTube videos being the closet I'll get to owning these coins 😥

I jumped in on this new series NEW Star Wars Faces of the Empire coin collection  .. >>>>  New Zealand Mint (@newzealandmint) • Instagram photos and videos

On 11/08/2021 at 04:32, Alex944 said:

It started as a partial investment.  It's only been since 3 years or so ago. Missus and I decided to start saving up for a house deposit and putting some money in stocks and crypto, I also wanted to take a punt on putting some money in gold at the time. Bought a 1oz gold bar and I remember being very disappointed about the size of it 😅. However, that golden hue really attracted me. It wasn't long after that that I decided to buy a couple of silver coins, you know, so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. One of the EU dealers had a scheme where you could store your purchases for 6 months before shipping so I bought 2-5 silver coins a month with some spare change.

When I got these coins, I was definitely hooked. My missus was a bit skeptical at first but she now has the run of 2018-2021 silver dragons from the Perth mint on her home desk and is very protective of them 😂. I'm lucky that she supports me in this.

All in all, it has turned into more of a hobby than an investment, though I do consider it a strong investment for long term wealth protection. Some people's hobbies are money pits that only cost you, but at least with this hobby I'll be able to pull out some of my finances (if I so wish) AND I get nice and shiny things.

Exactly  I couldn't have said it better  " Some people's hobbies are money pits that only cost you, but at least with this hobby I'll be able to pull out some of my finances (if I so wish) AND I get nice and shiny things."

I only started earlier this year but for a numbers of years have always wanted to buy some gold for the kids.

Funnily enough I started with silver brits, their birth years then got a few more then realised I could also afford to buy sovereigns.  It's more a hobby for me, as and when I have some spare money I'll buy a coin.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

2 hours ago, MintageSeller said:

The reason I started stacking was all the women that comes along with it. 

On a serious note aha, I started collecting because when I was younger. One of Colombian friends had a Mercury Dimes and they threw it across the room messing about when we playing. I found it and asked if I could keep it, they said yeah it's only 10 cents. I found it so unique and took it home, asked my dad what it was he said silver. 

I started collecting now and again when I could afford it, everything I collect now is for my future generation aka the mini genetic me.

I dont get to into the hoarde as I realised when doomsday come, I'm screwed as I don't work out. I can barley carry my weight, and I wont be able to carry my silver if terrible hits the fan. 

This is why I let my partner do all the lifting, and dishes the hard work around the house so she is fit enough to carry my silver.  

1 hour ago, MintageSeller said:

I dont get to into the hoarde as I realised when doomsday come, I'm screwed as I don't work out. I can barley carry my weight, and I wont be able to carry my silver if terrible hits the fan. 

This is why I let my partner do all the lifting, and dishes the hard work around the house so she is fit enough to carry my silver.  

Buy gold instead of silver.  You can carry it with you more easily than silver.  

I always loved the idea of treasure as a child. I quickly realised that I was never going to stumble over any buried treasure and I was never going to inherit any either.

So I thought, I'd buy my own. I love sitting there with my small pile of silverware and silver coins, feeling like Fagin from Oliver Twist. Or with a glass of rum, a handful of eight reales, like some pirate.

As Mike Maloney stated, 'pay yourself first' and 'become your own bank'. My bank balance is denominated in £sd, all in silver.

I've always loved spending money, so it's a way for me to put some on one side, whilst scratching the spending itch.

I also love history and I've a strong pull towards all things Victorian.

With the exception of my appreciation for modern indoor plumbing, I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era.

Silver's also real pretty.

Edited by SidS
Predictive typing alterations leading to errors.

21 hours ago, Dan12345 said:

Great stories people have. So nearly everyone is into this for investment as well as a hobby. So do you guys think that your stacks will bring you in a decent profit over the next 10/20 years 

Well that is the million £ question isn't it. My hope is that it does especially the silver, gold i am not really worried about but i do hope silver becomes more valuable in the future. I also feel not many people stack, i could be wrong of course but no one i know does it and even the people with the disposable cash it seems off their radar. So i hope the foresight to stack precious metals pays off!

I should say that precious metals isn't the only basket i put my eggs in and is part of a diversified portfolio but it is a pleasure having an investment i can hold in my hand and admire.

I think i will hold on a bit longer than 10/20 years before i sell though and make sure leave something for loved ones. 

What about you? Think there is a decent profit in it?

2 hours ago, DuperDash said:

Well that is the million £ question isn't it. My hope is that it does especially the silver, gold i am not really worried about but i do hope silver becomes more valuable in the future. I also feel not many people stack, i could be wrong of course but no one i know does it and even the people with the disposable cash it seems off their radar. So i hope the foresight to stack precious metals pays off!

I should say that precious metals isn't the only basket i put my eggs in and is part of a diversified portfolio but it is a pleasure having an investment i can hold in my hand and admire.

I think i will hold on a bit longer than 10/20 years before i sell though and make sure leave something for loved ones. 

What about you? Think there is a decent profit in it?

I'm quite new to all this so not sure if there will ever be decent profit in stacking gold and silver. I think your money is safe with it but who knows what will happen. I think we are all living in hope really.

Maybe rarer and nusmatic coins my rise in value more over the next 10/20 years than bullion coins. Shame a crystal ball can't tell us what the future holds 

I am terrible at saving - i literally have to spend any spare money i have. I recognised that i may have unresolved issues from my childhood....

My options were to see a therapist or turn my psychological need to be skint into an asset. Spending my fiat on precious metals works for me - I end up with 'money' that has to be converted into fiat before spending.  Adding that extra step allows me to have savings like 'normal' people.

Everything else (the collecting aspect and drooling over my stash like Scrooge McDuck) is a bonus.

True story.

5 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I am terrible at saving - i literally have to spend any spare money i have. I recognised that i may have unresolved issues from my childhood....

My options were to see a therapist or turn my psychological need to be skint into an asset. Spending my fiat on precious metals works for me - I end up with 'money' that has to be converted into fiat before spending.  Adding that extra step allows me to have savings like 'normal' people.

Everything else (the collecting aspect and drooling over my stash like Scrooge McDuck) is a bonus.

True story.

That’s one of the things I like about PMs too. They’re easy enough to convert into pounds in a relatively short time if ever I really need the money but they’re also inconvenient enough to stop me from doing so on a whim and spending my savings.

I bought a Technics 1210 Mk2 record player several years ago for the same reason. As an investment its value went up about in line with inflation so not a bad place to store value. As a way of saving money it’s easy enough to sell if necessary but inconvenient enough to put me off bothering.

I started by buying a silver Brit for a laugh, I liked it so I bought a couple more and then different stuff. Wax on, wax off. lol 

Ive only got about 50 Ozs of silver and a bit of gold.  I dont take it seriously, its might be handy further down the line if I ever get in a pinch or pass on to the kids when I snuff it.  

I just buy a bit every now and then. 

I started in August 2010, a couple of months after my first and only child was born. I don’t remember the two things being directly linked, but psychologically, they probably were.

I had around £3,000 in a cash ISA, which I decided to do something more interesting with. My first purchase was a 1996 1 oz Kookaburra from eBay, for around £20. When it arrived in the post, I knew that I’d found a lifelong hobby.

As it happens, August 2010 was pretty much in the middle of the bull market that culminated with the April 2011 high, crazy times.

Since then, pretty much every spare penny I have (after household bills and treats have been paid) has gone into silver or gold, and a little bit of platinum. 

It’s basically a brilliant savings vehicle for me and ensures I always have funds available, if needed. My stack has also grown to the point that it will act as a pension pot in its own right.

I do a similar thing with whisky.

On 24/08/2021 at 07:56, TeaTime said:

My options were to see a therapist or turn my psychological need to be skint into an asset.

Recognizing a weakness is a great strength :) 

On 22/08/2021 at 21:21, Dan12345 said:

Great stories people have. So nearly everyone is into this for investment as well as a hobby. So do you guys think that your stacks will bring you in a decent profit over the next 10/20 years 

In my opinion is not that much about a profit as much as it is retaining buying power. Sure, I'd say every long term stacker would expect some profit in the long run, but in terms of how that profit weighs against the then-current economy is another thing. For arguments sake, you may 'invest' 1K and turn it into 1.5K based on spot price, but is the 1K£ invested in 2020 as powerful as 1.5K in terms of buying power in 2040? 

Profit is not at the front of my mind when putting my fiat into PM's. It's more a preservative stacking pot with the great bonus of shiny things and overpriced paper weights.

I started stacking incase of world collapse hahahah.

Tbh I'm always weary of the way the world moves esp as everything is now digital so physical will always hold value.

I have investments else where "bloody banks" for my two kids, so i put a little a side every month for some silver/gold as my aim is to keep stacking for at least another 10 to 15 years.

Main aim is to hopefully return the same or plus a little down the line but also to hold physical wealth outside of the banking systems.

• 1 month later...
On 18/08/2021 at 14:47, MintageSeller said:

On a serious note aha, I started collecting because when I was younger. One of Colombian friends had a Mercury Dimes and they threw it across the room messing about when we playing. I found it and asked if I could keep it, they said yeah it's only 10 cents. I found it so unique and took it home, asked my dad what it was he said silver. 

So this post is one of only 2 results on this forum for the search term "Colombian" which surprises me, as the Museo De Oro in Bogotá is the place that I first had a "wow" moment in relation to precious metals - see "Muisca Raft". 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muisca_raft

I'm curious did you live in Colombia or did your friend just happen to be Colombian?

Started buying silver & gold in 2004/05 as I began my journey learning about fiat currency, fractional reserve banking, central banks, debt based money and the level of debt in the world.

It served me well and I sold all my gold and silver to buy my home after a few years of post 2009 house prices falling and precious metal price rising. Making the purchase a lot less painful than it would have been if I left the cash in the bank at 0% interest rates.

Sorting out the house & family life took over and precious metals went on the back burner. Started buying again by discovering hallmarked bits of lower purity silver that I found at car boot sales, local small charity shops and locally on Facebook & EBay that was round spot price or cheaper.

Now I have the yearning for the 1oz, 10oz and kilo silver bars and coins that sold to buy my home. 

6 hours ago, sjhdesmond said:

So this post is one of only 2 results on this forum for the search term "Colombian" which surprises me, as the Museo De Oro in Bogotá is the place that I first had a "wow" moment in relation to precious metals - see "Muisca Raft". 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muisca_raft

I'm curious did you live in Colombia or did your friend just happen to be Colombian?

Friend was Colombian

I started collecting silver purely as an investment. Purely getting the most volume for the best price. Not interested in designs at all as it’s purpose is purely to protect wealth. 

That was then. 

Now I find it more appealing to collect “sets” and limited runs irrespective of price, which as you can imagine causes quite a conflict of interest between my brain and my bank account!

6 minutes ago, slinkyjynx said:

I started collecting silver purely as an investment. Purely getting the most volume for the best price. Not interested in designs at all as it’s purpose is purely to protect wealth. 

That was then. 

Now I find it more appealing to collect “sets” and limited runs irrespective of price, which as you can imagine causes quite a conflict of interest between my brain and my bank account!

Screenshot_20211012-200707-872.thumb.png.6e3f550a35933375488975b1fe36e540.png