• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint account.

pricha

I decided to open a Royal Mint account. I thought i'd might save a few ££ every now and again and when the 2020 proof comes out i'd have the funds to purchase it.  I'm not too sure about it, as Royal Mint site always seems a bit odd and fiddly to me. Anyway i rang them because my money never appeared ( my fault) and got through immediately . Excellent , all sorted in less than 2 minutes. Very impressed. So much for saving , i decided on a half sov. blister pack . £5 for postage , fair enough but £1 for VAT ? Must be for the package not the coin . I cancelled that and start saving again 🙂  

Yes the £1 VAT is for the postage and packaging as while the coin is VAT free the postage and packaging is not. You can get free shipping if you spend over £250 so it might be worth saving up and buying it in one go but with this you can not spread out your purchases and lock in your purchases at different prices and cost average and may be out of pocket if spot decides to go up before you have saved up enough to buy it.

Edited by ShadowTriad

To purchase proof coins you have to pay by card. It might be worth saving your card details as it will be quicker to check out and so it will quicker to confirm your purchase. Otherwise you will have to enter your card details and then check out so it might be sold out by the time you check out if it does sell out quickly.

Edited by ShadowTriad

1 hour ago, pricha said:

I meant to ask , does an account with credit in it, give an advantage to purchasing a coin that's going to sell out very quickly, for example the recent Three Graces ? 

I dont think you can use your account credit to buy collectable coins. This option is only for the bullion part of the website. 

Trust me not to check it out fully . Seems a bit odd. No big deal as i buy bullion mostly , i log on the usual way and they have my details so i can buy collectible coins , i guess you just pay at the check out like everyone else ?

Yes with proof coins it is the same as buying most items online where you just add it to your cart, go to checkout and enter your card details. I normally only purchase bullion myself and only on special occasions do I purchase proofs. I don't know why royal mint has decided to implement a different checkout method for bullion. The only reason I can think of for them to do it this way is because this way is slower so by the time you transfer credit into your account and the credit is validates by them and your bank the spot price might of gone up so they might of made more pounds that way. It is just an odd, fiddle and clunky way of doing things and i don't think any other bullion dealer asks for credit to be transferred in this way. But that is the royal mint for you!

On 22/07/2021 at 17:06, pricha said:

I meant to ask , does an account with credit in it, give an advantage to purchasing a coin that's going to sell out very quickly, for example the recent Three Graces ? 

I might speed the process up on launch day.  I’ve had that nightmare of the security check on payment and holds the check out up.  By the time you re do the payment it’s all sold out. 

It really is a lot of hoops to jump through. I have had problems with their security checks on both proof and bullion purchases. Even though I have spent a fair amount with the royal mint they still subject you to vigorous security checks. One time I bought a 1 oz gold bullion and they didn't send it out for over 2 weeks and an email they never replied to and 3 phone calls of them telling me they will dispatch it soon I was told they just forgot to take the security tag off of the payment which they needed to do before they sent it even though the funds were taken from my account. I really do love the royal mints products but with this, the lack of communication between departments, the quality control issues, not listening to their customer base and some questionable designs on some of their coins, the royal mint as a business is just so poorly run.

• 5 months later...

So I want to ask a question
This is how the RM account pre-entered my credit card for express checkout
I pressed about every button and found that I couldn't find a field where I could pre-enter credit card information, has any of you done this before, and if so please tell me how to do it

2 minutes ago, Oldun said:

I ended up buying a cheapo c**p coin to buy with a cc and then had the option to save the cc info to prepare for the last engraver’s release so as not to waste time on the day.

so if i dont buy anything inRM before, i can't save the CCinfo???

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

I can’t see any way to do this either - I think mine too may have been automatically saved when I ordered my first coin.

Maybe you can order something cheap that you want, or cancel immediately after ordering.

i can ordering and immediately cancel without any reason? it really can be done?😂

Now i  tried to run the process once , and I found that he would not automatically bring in my registered address and asked me to call again....why is it so unscientific