Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

50oz silver ingot 1981 DCL


Recommended Posts

Thoughts on this 50oz silver ingot and whether worth selling? Hand poured in Australia 1981.

E97F715D-94BC-4571-85C2-7BA73B4E8356.jpeg

Edited by Holmit
Add photos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue with this bar is it is it has no markings on and it is pretty big.
Pretty big means it has a pretty decent price tag to it.
An issue with larger bars is potential buyers wonder if it is all silver and with a bar this size plenty could be lurking inside.
It might test as silver on the outside but what is deep inside?

Certainly if you want some cash it is worth selling but will buyers trust it is all silver? You may well find buyers are distrustful and unless they can access the bar and test it before buying they might give it a pass. Why take the chance with a lump of silver like that? 
A refiner might take it, a dealer who has all the kit to test it they might be interested. 

Edited by sixgun

The Office for National Statistics shows 95% of adults are immune to COVID. There is no pandemic.

Pro-needlers have blood on their hands. COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. 

The coronavirus 'pandemic' was never a pandemic - it's a trivial infection for the vast majority - a scamdemic. Dr Chris Witty admitted this on national television (23.3.2021)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta agree with the above. Unless you can get it verified that it's indeed 100% silver throughout, this would be a tough sell on individual second hand market. Definitely worth to get it checked though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. Would having receipt help? Though the receipts from 1980s don’t specify the bar they relate to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen one of these before in Australia.  The one I saw had purity and other marks on the bottom - does yours have these? The one I saw was 100 oz - a beast.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 14:14, sixgun said:

The issue with this bar is it is it has no markings on and it is pretty big.
Pretty big means it has a pretty decent price tag to it.
An issue with larger bars is potential buyers wonder if it is all silver and with a bar this size plenty could be lurking inside.
It might test as silver on the outside but what is deep inside?

Certainly if you want some cash it is worth selling but will buyers trust it is all silver? You may well find buyers are distrustful and unless they can access the bar and test it before buying they might give it a pass. Why take the chance with a lump of silver like that? 
A refiner might take it, a dealer who has all the kit to test it they might be interested. 

I have seen many of these but never a counterfeit one.These are vintage bars and never a problem with them. Yes it is a bit big which is why it would attract lower premium but it is a vintage bar after all😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 21:46, Holmit said:

Thanks for the info. Would having receipt help? Though the receipts from 1980s don’t specify the bar they relate to.

If you have the original receipt that would definitely increase the value.vintage bar with an original receipt is any collectors dream😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 21:35, TommyTwoShots said:

Why not send it for hallmarking? They would confirm content

Not necessarily, hallmarking is intended for items like jewellery and silverware. When sending goods for assay, it is usual to state whether the item is Sterling silver, Britannia silver etc. If the item passes it will get an appropriate stamp, for example "925", or a lion mark.

If what you require is a metal analysis, with or without additional metals, you will need to send it specifically for analysis. the cost for this is much higher.

As an example, if a manufacturer sends 500 sterling silver chains for assay, the charge might be £1 each, depending on weight.

For a bar, you might pay £30 to £40 for a fire assay (cupelation), which will involve drilling to get a core sample.

An XRF test might cost a similar amount from an assay office, but is not as accurate. A dealer with an XRF machine might also test it for you. @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer currently charge £10.

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dragafem said:
On 17/07/2021 at 21:46, Holmit said:

 

If you have the original receipt that would definitely increase the value.vintage bar with an original receipt is any collectors dream😉

Yeah receipts from 1981 are pretty cool as they are handwritten and show the price back then. Any ideas on price? I have one with an amazing swirl too due to the hand pour nature of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its an Australian Harrington Bar, it has a HAR inside a RING then a picture of a TON  (Harrington) The DCL is a counterstamp for Darlington Commodities which were in Melbourne Australia

Where we normally beat you in the cricket😀

These are very collectible and mintage was only in the hundreds, not thousands

Beautiful Bar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 00:44, Holmit said:

Yes there are markings underneath, sorry didn’t realise only 1 pic uploaded. Shows 9998.

 

 Now he tells us! 🙂

Edited by LawrenceChard
Moved answer to the right place

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, aussiesilver said:

Its an Australian Harrington Bar, it has a HAR inside a RING then a picture of a TON  (Harrington) The DCL is a counterstamp for Darlington Commodities which were in Melbourne Australia

Where we normally beat you in the cricket😀

These are very collectible and mintage was only in the hundreds, not thousands

Beautiful Bar

Haha yes well also have one without the DCL, with an amazing swirl from the hand pour. Glad these are collectables rather than someone just melting them down. Thought trying EBay. Any other suggestions on where to try to sell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 07:39, Holmit said:

Haha yes well also have one without the DCL, with an amazing swirl from the hand pour. Glad these are collectables rather than someone just melting them down. Thought trying EBay. Any other suggestions on where to try to sell?

Try silverstackers forum in australia😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use