• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, my half has arrived....

Low and behold the capsule was open AGAIN.

PXL_20211125_100332879.thumb.jpg.857fadd0491947c82008d3eff51feeea.jpg

A follow up email has been sent to the Exec team at The Royal Mint 

FORTUNATLEY 

Under 7x magnification it looks pretty perfect so am feeling pretty lucky

Another annoying thing is that there was a QC sticker ON THE CAPSULE!

PXL_20211125_100827829.thumb.jpg.393a59bcdc34bb33cebf772420b91776.jpg

This left a dirty smudge which after a bit of elbow grease came off but still - the sheer irony of a QC sticker being ON THE CAPSULE and the capsule being loose is hilarious. 

Let me tell you, I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of my emails to the exec office!

Now, some lovely photos of the half!

PXL_20211125_100820775.thumb.jpg.889e41568a37e65c5898e5c9eaa3c1c1.jpg

PXL_20211125_100918179.thumb.jpg.13802be84b8c1dfd654bb19d3d98cc0f.jpg

You are very unlucky BYB

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, my half has arrived....

Low and behold the capsule was open AGAIN.

PXL_20211125_100332879.thumb.jpg.857fadd0491947c82008d3eff51feeea.jpg

A follow up email has been sent to the Exec team at The Royal Mint 

FORTUNATLEY 

Under 7x magnification it looks pretty perfect so am feeling pretty lucky

Another annoying thing is that there was a QC sticker ON THE CAPSULE!

PXL_20211125_100827829.thumb.jpg.393a59bcdc34bb33cebf772420b91776.jpg

This left a dirty smudge which after a bit of elbow grease came off but still - the sheer irony of a QC sticker being ON THE CAPSULE and the capsule being loose is hilarious. 

Let me tell you, I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of my emails to the exec office!

Now, some lovely photos of the half!

PXL_20211125_100820775.thumb.jpg.889e41568a37e65c5898e5c9eaa3c1c1.jpg

PXL_20211125_100918179.thumb.jpg.13802be84b8c1dfd654bb19d3d98cc0f.jpg

The new push fit capsules are not as good as the old screw fit type. The push fit rely on friction to keep the two parts together and its only a very small area of contact when fully pushed together . Being dropped or knocked around during transit is enough to cause the cap to "pop off "  Bring back the old screw caps RM 🙂

4 minutes ago, fiveshotdon said:

I have been told to expect my sovereign in January. Anyone else been told this?

I find that hard to believe, but on the other hand there must be more to it than just the logistics of shipping them - e.g. I ordered a non-Sovereign coin yesterday and it arrived today, so no problems there. 🤯

Edited by paulmerton
typo

10 minutes ago, fiveshotdon said:

I have been told to expect my sovereign in January. Anyone else been told this?

Maybe you got a ‘default’ response, for non special delivery coins.

I just can’t see it being January. The RMcan be slow, but not that slow.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Received my 3 coin set today also, no capsules open and packaging secure.  Full and half sovereigns are flawless however quarter has a small mark on Queens face. Think I will keep it, can't be bothered chasing up on a replacement quarter. The design is stunning to look at in hand. 

28 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

For those of you returning coins for replacement, has anyone had an estimated timeframe? Or is this expected to be January also?

I can only imagine they will prioritise customers that have not had their original orders first then the replacements as and when they can. 

I would also not put it past the mint to be putting returns back into circulation. 

It would be very interesting to see if any of the same serial numbers get duplicated out on the forum membership. 

Maybe a new thread with the COA number of the item you return could be set up?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

23 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

For those of you returning coins for replacement, has anyone had an estimated timeframe? Or is this expected to be January also?

As long as we dont end up getting each others returns 👀 then I'd assume it will take a while. 

Considering there still sorting out people's Tudor beasts and now this sovereign cluster fund + the upcoming gothic crown ( wow what a time to be a royal mint employee)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Okay, I mentally prepared myself for the unboxing, and oh my!  I'd been keeping the delivery box upright ever since I got it, but upon opening it I discovered the 3-coin set was actually upside down in the delivery box the whole time :D Thankfully no coins had escaped, but the set had a MASSIVE black bit on the middle of the quarter sovereign. Thankfully on closer inspection it turned out to be a bit of the black foam ring that had broken free, but it wasn't budging on its own and I had to get out the finger condoms and a small screwdriver to tease the ring out and blow it (don't...) before all was good. With that sorted, I'm glad all three coins are perfect.

So onto the final box...

All good! :D 

image.png.2108e536c06461ba5a0c011047b3c0d8.png

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Okay, I mentally prepared myself for the unboxing, and oh my!  I'd been keeping the delivery box upright ever since I got it, but upon opening it I discovered the 3-coin set was actually upside down in the delivery box the whole time :D Thankfully no coins had escaped, but the set had a MASSIVE black bit on the middle of the quarter sovereign. Thankfully on closer inspection it turned out to be a bit of the black foam ring that had broken free, but it wasn't budging on its own and I had to get out the finger condoms and a small screwdriver to tease the ring out and blow it (don't...) before all was good. With that sorted, I'm glad all three coins are perfect.

So onto the final box...

How did you get number 1 😁

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

So onto the final box...

Be careful blowing as no matter how much you dry your lips beforehand, you are blowing moisture onto the coin. Check it under a loupe as there could be very faint trails on the coin now. Don’t want to worry you but this is something that does happen a lot. This is why I always use compressed air to check the surface is not marked etc.

3 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

By the way, if anyone has received a sovereign of any size with an open capsule, please feel free to send me a picture or share here and I can forward it to the contact I have at the mint. 

It's obviously not an isolated incident and really needs attention.

The more that speak out the better.

i trust you have made RM aware of your social media following, 30,000+ YouTube subs around the world

7 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Be careful blowing as no matter how much you dry your lips beforehand, you are blowing moisture onto the coin. Check it under a loupe as there could be very faint trails on the coin now. Don’t want to worry you but this is something that does happen a lot. This is why I always use compressed air to check the surface is not marked etc.

This is excellent advice, but I was super-prepared (it happens!) and used a photographic sensor cleaning blower instead of my own lung-juice.

Some types of compressed air might be a bit risky too, as they could scatter teeny particles of lubricant from the can or compressor.

Edited by paulmerton
sovereign excitement is making me do typoos

4 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Try this on milk spots!..............Joking aside I'm with Andrew I see loads of silver with sputum it makes the coin look like a metallic Petrie Dish

blow.png

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

This is excellent advice, but I was super-prepared (it happens!) and used a photographic sensor cleaning blower instead of my own lung-juice.

Some types of compressed air might be a bit risky too, as they could scatter teeny particles of lubricant from the can or compressor.

I find that sticking 14 dry crackers in your mouth beforehand soaks up all the saliva ( then just take a deep breath and blow) 

Please dont follow this advice unless really skilled 😁

On a serious note..thanks to @BackyardBullion and his Anne jessopp 😁 email address I've been contacted and forwarded a returns label.

I've been assured I will receive a brand new coin and they will pass my feedback on to the packing team ( maybe if inferior capsules must be used then add additional padding/bubble wrap between capsules and box lid) I'm a lot more content this week than last ( so far)