• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 hour ago, Liam84 said:

Did we have this one suggested already? Because that would be pretty nice. Maybe a veiled head QE2 to go with it as a nod to her losing her fella recently.

Also maybe a few ppt of AG to make the colour more traditional for the special release...

2e59dac52b9b63465892221113a66c98.jpg

I love this design. And it would be a wonderful surprise to have a special portrait of HM for the 2022 Sovereign. 😊

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Bixley said:

The picture, which I assume is the royal trumpet, would seem a bit busy to make a good design for a coin.

Some of the older coins have extremely intricate Coat of Arms depicted on them.  I really hope it whatever they do will be a stunner. The 2002 Sovereign is fine but nowhere even close to the shield designs of old.

I'm hoping that if this is a tease (it may not be, depends on how clever the RM were on the day...) that they use the one with the helm that's enclosed with the drapes I posted further up. The one on the trumpet embroidery looks like the lion and unicorn have impaled those poor cherubic fellas with their crown/horn...

It's likely though that it will be something much less interesting.

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Some of the older coins have extremely intricate Coat of Arms depicted on them.  I really hope it whatever they do will be a stunner. The 2002 Sovereign is fine but nowhere even close to the shield designs of old.

I am sure the RM will find a way to mess it up somehow (lazy or sloppy design)!  I really hope they will put some effort into designing a coin that is worthy of celebrating the Queen being on the throne for seventy years.

I'm really looking forward to adding this one to my collection.

I'm pretty sure they won't be changing the portrait of the queen like they did in 1989, and they have so much experience producing coins with shield back type of designs on them that surely it's going to be a good one!

My only worry is that they do something extreme with the mintage, either way too big or way too small. I could really do without going through that lottery when buying them off their website.

Could be an expensive end to the year with this and the great engravers being released!

If the mailing list works correctly and informs everyone in advance, it could create another frenzy much like the Three Graces release.

I do wonder whether RM do the "register your interest" because they know the word will get out anyway, what with 3rd parties in the know....

47 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thoughts

An astute observation. I imagine similar misdirection will be used when advertising the "Limited Mintage", which could well be limited for certain initial releases (specific weight proof coins/sets) but in the gazillions for further versions not long after.

My fear is that any sort of intricate reverse design will be ruined if it they use the rose gold that they have done for every sovereign since 2017. Together with the changes to the minting process, we are likely to see a repeat of the 2012 abomination.  

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

More Misinformation from the Royal Mint.

In today's marketing e-mail from the RM, about the 2022 gold sovereigns, the RM say:

"Today, it is extremely rare for The Sovereign to feature a design other than Benedetto Pistrucci’s iconic depiction of St George and the dragon..."

I disagree, and I guess most other TSF member will also.

The special one-off designs in 1989, 2002, 2005, and 2012 did not feature Pistrucci's depiction, although 2005 and 2012 did have alternative versions of St George and the Dragon.

We went from 1887 to 1988 with Pistrucci's design, just over a century without change. Next year's coin will be the 5th different design in "only" 33 years.

The interval, or gaps, were therefore 101, 13, 3, 7, and 10 years between different designs. This makes these "new, different" designs anything but rare, and to call them extremely rare is gross exaggeration, propaganda, hype, and misinformation. I don't understand why the Royal Mint and its marketing team feel they need to make deceptive claims, which surely put the Royal Mint reputation for trust and integrity in jeopardy. 

I guess the same misinformation will go out to the world's media, and because most journalists don't know anything about gold sovereigns, they will simply re-publish and repeat the claims without question, the public will believe it, and a new urban myth will have come into existence.

In 1989, the statement quoted would have been true. Perhaps someone at the Mint is still using the same template, and will keep doing so as long as it keeps working. I should try and check whether they said the same thing in 2002, 2005, and 2012. It is almost certain there will be another major sovereign design change by 2026 at the latest. Dare I forecast that it will also be extremely rare? How about extremely unique?

I am sure most of us will like the new design, and want to own at least one, but it would be nice to hear the truth from the Royal Mint, instead of them sounding like snake oil salesmen.

Thoughts?

🙂

It is rather unfortunate because I too have been caught up in the hype.  Perhaps because I’ve been anticipating it for so long and was excited to finally get a teaser about its release. 

1 hour ago, Richym99 said:

My fear is that any sort of intricate reverse design will be ruined if it they use the rose gold that they have done for every sovereign since 2017. Together with the changes to the minting process, we are likely to see a repeat of the 2012 abomination.  

Its unlikely they'll start admitting their mistake and add silver to the mix. That said if an alternative celebratory coin is acceptable to you (i.e. not from the Royal Mint) then Perth Mint will probably produce something both aesthetically pleasing (a .916 coin made with silver or .9999) and with decent quality control...

3 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Why get involved in this rat race at all, wouldnt give the mint a penny looking forward to the my 2022 is c**p and dinged thread which will inevitably follow 

Thanks for your restrained view Leon, don't hold back 😂

2 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Why get involved in this rat race at all, wouldnt give the mint a penny looking forward to the my 2022 is c**p and dinged thread which will inevitably follow 

A 2022 with no history, no circulation, no originality made for people who have a bad case of the fear of missing out 

The 1989 sov people oaid probably 40 quid worth a grand good investment this one will be 600?? Will it be worth 2000 in 22 years maybe maybe but i can think of nicer coins for 2,000