• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

11 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I have enjoyed going over the results you have posted online thus far. I think for the RM themselves though maybe a highlights reel/best of would be more on point? After they've seen the evidence it may encourage then to stick some silver in! Or, you know, not... 😥

Perhaps we should just ask the Privy Council if we can start making our own better quality ones. 🙂

Chards

• 1 month later...

I think that the 2022 Obverse will be the original Gillick design.

I think they’ll go backwards knowing that it’s highly unlikely that HM Queen won’t see 80 years on the throne.

Whilst I very much like The Queen it’s a little like Victoria and her son Edward VII, Charles won’t have long on the throne.

Anyway, back on topic, it would be nice, in my opinion, to see the 2022 sovereign obverse go backwards to the original. Anyone else agree?

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

I think they’ll go backwards knowing that it’s highly unlikely that HM Queen won’t see 80 years on the throne.

Whilst I very much like The Queen it’s a little like Victoria and her son Edward VII, Charles won’t have long on the throne.

Anyway, back on topic, it would be nice, in my opinion, to see the 2022 sovereign obverse go backwards to the original. Anyone else agree?

The way I see it, the Platinum Jubilee will be a celebration of HM’s long and remarkable reign. The first of its kind in history. I personally think it would be more appropriate to celebrate the occasion with a portrait that honours HM’s remarkable age too.

Who knows… they could do two Sovereigns, each with a different portrait… as has been suggested elsewhere. To me that would be straying into gimmicky territory.

Just keep it simple and classy with one memorable Sovereign, I say! 😀

On 29/06/2021 at 05:02, westminstrel said:

BY THE QUEEN A PROCLAMATION ALTERING THE PROCLAMATION OF THE FOURTH DAY OF OCTOBER 1953 TO DETERMINE A NEW DESIGN FOR CERTAIN GOLD COINS ELIZABETH R.

Whereas under section 3(1)(b) and (h) of the Coinage Act 1971 We have power, with the advice of Our Privy Council, by Proclamation to determine the design of coins to be made at Our Mint, and to alter any Proclamation previously made under the said section:

And Whereas by Our Proclamation dated the fourth day of October 1953 We determined a new design for the gold coins specified in Our said Proclamation, being the five-pound piece, the two-pound piece, the sovereign and the half-sovereign:

And Whereas it appears to Us desirable to determine a new design for the said gold coins:

We, therefore, in pursuance of the said section 3(1)(b) and (h) and of all other powers enabling Us in that behalf, do hereby, by and with the advice of Our Privy Council, proclaim, direct and ordain as follows:

1. The following paragraph shall be substituted for the paragraph headed ‘GOLD COINS’ of Our said Proclamation of the fourth day of October 1953.

GOLD COINS

‘Every five-pound piece, two-pound piece, sovereign and half-sovereign shall have for the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· ELIZABETH II ∙ DEI ∙ GRA · REGINA ∙ FID ∙ DEF” and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Coat of Arms and the date of the year. The coins shall have a grained edge.’

2. This Proclamation shall come into force on the twenty-fourth day of June Two thousand and twenty-one.

Given at Our Court at Buckingham Palace, this twenty-third day of June in the year of Our Lord Two thousand and twenty-one and in the seventieth year of Our Reign.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Source: https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3828648

There’s a similar proclamation for the Quarter Sovereign.

Source: https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3828649

So it looks like a shield design (for certain) and the regular portrait (potentially) for the 2022 Sovereign range. 

Somehow I don’t think the Gazette are lovers of the good old plain English campaign 😊 

On 29/06/2021 at 08:33, Roy said:

So, I want...

The Half Sovereign proof

The Sovereign proof

The Double Sovereign proof

The £5 Sovereign proof :D

Wait...

The 3 coin set

The 3 coin Premium Set

The 4 coin set

The 5 coin set

The £5 BU

The SOTD proof or prooflike

The Piedfort

The Matt Sovereign

🤔

:o

Keep that list ready for the Today I Sent Back thread 😁

4 hours ago, Foster88 said:

An obverse in reverse then! I don’t have a Gillick so I’d like to see it on the 2022 obverse. I don’t think it will be a Gillick, but I’d be happy to be wrong. 

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The way I see it, the Platinum Jubilee will be a celebration of HM’s long and remarkable reign. The first of its kind in history. I personally think it would be more appropriate to celebrate the occasion with a portrait that honours HM’s remarkable age too.

Who knows… they could do two Sovereigns, each with a different portrait… as has been suggested elsewhere. To me that would be straying into gimmicky territory.

Just keep it simple and classy with one memorable Sovereign, I say! 😀

I also prefer a single, representative sovereign design for this celebration.

Leave the gimmicky ideas / varieties to the other product range :D

25 minutes ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

I also prefer a single, representative sovereign design for this celebration.

Leave the gimmicky ideas / varieties to the other product range :D

Yep! 👌🏼

By the way, is the aule in your name a Tolkien reference? 🙂

On 01/07/2021 at 18:34, LawrenceChard said:

1825 George IV Bare Head sovereign- Interesting XRF Alloy Analysis

1825georgeivbareheadsovereigntesteranalysiscrop.thumb.jpg.68a5cce7246d93f7aba0673ce3a6ab64.jpg

That might not be exciting to many collectors, but this is the first time I can ever recall testing a sovereign with a higher silver content than its copper content.

It helps to counter the Royal Mint's misconception that sovereigns were historically made of red gold.

The "mode" value is about 3 parts per thousand, which applies to most sovereigns from about 1838 to 1932.

Recent QEII sovereigns usually have 0 PPTs of silver, which is why they look like cheap copper imitations.

Here is the coin:

1825georgeivbareheadsovereignobversecrop.thumb.jpg.24a07f046d6a7e0e908f3f2153ee8b34.jpg

... and the reverse:

1825georgeivbareheadsovereignreversecrop.thumb.jpg.8a2fcf61e2f98fbb8ecbe4b630ece95f.jpg

Apparently, it was a (declared) metal detector find. There are some slight traces of probable spade damage, but they could equally have been from ordinary circulation.

Marks due to circulation in a muddy field 😂 but it looks like a very nice detecting find 👍

20 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Yep! 👌🏼

By the way, is the aule in your name a Tolkien reference? 🙂

Not really, it was a username created out of family names combination. But i do see the Tolkien reference after the username creation 😉

Back to the topic, i could imagine different mints releasing its own version of celebration 'Sovereign' next year though...

6 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Can anyone remember when the 2017 was released (Midnight or morning) and when it sold out by?

I

can't remember specifics. probably 9am release. the proof sets went quickly but the sov and half sovs took a day or two.

happy to be corrected, my memory is generally rubbish.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 19/08/2021 at 14:44, LawrenceChard said:

Another variation on a potential 2022 gold sovereign design:

sovereignMOCKUPwithstgeorgeanddragonontopofshieldcrop.thumb.jpg.40cf1e9b0311aa01bd9b905d40beaeef.jpg

For those who are undecided!

🙂

I suspect someone in your organisation has too much time on their hands😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon