• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

44 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Each to their own, I have quite a good range of young heads right through to the modern collectables.  If you don't like the new stuff then just let everyone else snap them up when they come out.  I've been begging for a modern shield back it would be great if they reused JBM original reverse dies.  The 2002 was a very poor attempt at a modern SB.

Modern shield reverse sovereign did you say?

2022elizabethiifullsovereigngold-MOCK-UProyalarmsreversecrop.thumb.jpg.b49eec67e54991dcc940e7e749c86544.jpg

... or did you have a different shield design in mind?

Chards

@LawrenceChard- Imagine the mild confusion between that and this.

image.png.5576ec6c46dad5c8743cc68c0452e8ae.png

Ofc this clearly says 1 oz but still, at first glance the design is what stands out, and it feels weird they chose to use an existing coin design for a special, once in a lifetime, first ever Jubilee Sovereign. 

Edited by westminstrel

I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing this image used in some way to represent a sovereign from Charles, though as aforementioned, his effigy may need some reworking. I think the next sovereign ,whatever the design is, it'll be a mad scramble to purchase and sell for a premium on the secondary market. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

@LawrenceChard- Imagine the mild confusion between that and this.

image.png.5576ec6c46dad5c8743cc68c0452e8ae.png

Ofc this clearly says 1 oz but still, at first glance the design is what stands out, and it feels weird they chose to use an existing coin design for a special, once in a lifetime, first ever Jubilee Sovereign. 

Sure, it was just a quick, first shot.

What, the RM confues people? Never! 🙂

Chards

I'd happily get a few as long as the bullion version carries a regular bullion premium. I don't mind a couple of percent more than usual to account for additional investment in the design (R&D, new tooling etc), but to ask for a significant amount for something that isn't a limited number proof is a bit much. That said they will struggle to keep up with demand at whatever the price point so the RM will do what they do. $ollars be rollin'.

Hopefully after a couple of years the hype will have calmed down and I'll hoover up a bunch of them at a more normal price point. 

What about the badge of the House of Windsor?

800px-badge-of-the-house-of-windsor-svg.png

Edited by Liam84
Added missing word

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The right colour? Yummy yellow or rotten red? 🙂

In an ideal world it would be yummy yellow, but unless they're going to adjust the mix for 2022 (your analysis of metal content is fascinating by the way) then I suppose it will have to be rotten red! 

8 hours ago, Liam84 said:

In an ideal world it would be yummy yellow, but unless they're going to adjust the mix for 2022 (your analysis of metal content is fascinating by the way) then I suppose it will have to be rotten red! 

I got an interesting XRF test result yesterday. I would call it exciting, but that might be over-selling, even though it was a first...

... results to follow with photos.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards

29 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

@LawrenceChard even if it's an unlikely candidate could you do the CGI wizardry thing and stick that badge design on a sovereign in the right colour? I think I'd be into that.

How about these?

🙂

Yummy yellow / glowing gold.

or...

2022houseofwindsorrottenmagentamockupcrop.thumb.jpg.5dd64383191bf90fea643d9aaa148d7d.jpg

Rotten red or pukey pink.

It took hours and hours to do these! 

Chards

I like that, I think it suits a coin. Possibly it leaves the field at the sides too clear but in yummy yellow that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thank you Lawrence. What was the XRF discovery? I'm intrigued!

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

How about these?

🙂

Yummy yellow / glowing gold.

or...

2022houseofwindsorrottenmagentamockupcrop.thumb.jpg.5dd64383191bf90fea643d9aaa148d7d.jpg

Rotten red or pukey pink.

It took hours and hours to do these! 

This would certainly get the cash registers at the royal mint ringing! Even i would buy these! Half sovereigns and full sovs.

43 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I like that, I think it suits a coin. Possibly it leaves the field at the sides too clear but in yummy yellow that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thank you Lawrence. What was the XRF discovery? I'm intrigued!

I don't know why the yellow version doesn't display without clicking it. I'll re-post it:

2022houseofwindsormockupcrop.thumb.jpg.2e6aed2031ee63b4df6c7b4bb77f8c1e.jpg

... and see if that works.

I am waiting for photographs of the sovereign I tested, and will include the results with the photos, possibly later today, or tomorrow.

Chards

57 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I hadn't seen this coin before. Now I have I definitely prefer the clear fields of @LawrenceChard's rendering, it makes it less busy and draws focus to the design. Having a gap between the flag and crown looks neater too.

It's significantly more in relative terms, which is very interesting indeed.

It would be great if you could compile a dossier highlighting good examples spread across the different generations of sovereigns for the Royal Mint to see. Although I suppose cognitive dissonance may well lead them to bleat madly and unsee the offending words almost immediately...

19 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

It's significantly more in relative terms, which is very interesting indeed.

It would be great if you could compile a dossier highlighting good examples spread across the different generations of sovereigns for the Royal Mint to see. Although I suppose cognitive dissonance may well lead them to bleat madly and unsee the offending words almost immediately...

I have been doing this on a slighly casual basis for a few years now, but when I/we find time to organise it, I intend to carry out a substantial research project including every available date and mintmark of modern (post 1816) gold sovereigns.

It is also likely that we will extend it to half sovereigns, double sovereigns, and quintuple sovereigns.

An initial target will be to test at least one of every date, type, and mintmark combination, although there are likely to be a few omissons.

It is likely we will also include multiple examples of some coins, to increase the overall sample size.

It will be a major project, and will take time and resources, so don't hold your breath...

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I have been doing this on a slighly casual basis for a few years now, but when I/we find time to organise it, I intend to carry out a substantial research project including every available date and mintmark of modern (post 1816) gold sovereigns.

It is also likely that we will extend it to half sovereigns, double sovereigns, and quintuple sovereigns.

An initial target will be to test at least one of every date, type, and mintmark combination, although there are likely to be a few omissons.

It is likely we will also include multiple examples of some coins, to increase the overall sample size.

It will be a major project, and will take time and resources, so don't hold your breath...

I have enjoyed going over the results you have posted online thus far. I think for the RM themselves though maybe a highlights reel/best of would be more on point? After they've seen the evidence it may encourage then to stick some silver in! Or, you know, not... 😥