• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 minute ago, Goldfever20 said:

There is one for sale on TSF. It's a £17999 if I remember rightly. 

Bargain!!!! I will have 20 of em!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

If that is so then it should be an open edition like the other memorial coins until sale end in 31st December. The fact the edition size has been announced and then a few days later changes made to the website because of slow sales says it all really.

Maybe because it is a memorial sovereign they only want to sell it during the year of the Queen’s death?

7 minutes ago, BiigT said:

If you like it, buy it and enjoy it. If you don't like it, save your pennies and spend them on something else. Simple really. 

Individual opinions matter not at this stage and only time will tell whether this design is a flop or not. I personally think its the best design I've seen so far and am quite happy to spend some of my savings on 5 coin set.

Certainly can't fault your logic.

Let's hope all who bought big sets  are intending to HODL 

1 hour ago, Chrisplym said:

Maybe because it is a memorial sovereign they only want to sell it during the year of the Queen’s death?

RM were hoping they were a sellout in days but because it is not shifting quickly enough they put a new announcement that sale will end on 31st December. I won't give them the benefit of the doubt, its obviouse what has happened.

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

RM were hoping they were a sellout in days but because it is not shifting quickly enough they put a new announcement that sale will end on 31st December. I won't give them the benefit of the doubt, its obviouse what has happened.

You think that they haven’t sold a few hundred coins, that they haven’t struck yet, in a few days, that this is an issue to the Royal Mint? They strike lots of coins in gold that they are more than happy to sit on for years. 

I suspect not, more that @westminstrel is correct in that it was a balls up and was always the case, it’s not unusual for them to make that type of mistake. They are an odd business, but in their weird way they are protective and proud about who they are and what they do and represent. These sovereigns along with the other coins they have tagged as “memorial” is their way of honouring the passing of QEII and they will proudly stand by their mandate. 

Edited by SilverMike

11 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Bargain!!!! I will have 20 of em!

You know what, it really is a bargain. Check out Coin Cabinet sales recently. Plus, this coming auction on Tuesday there is a set being sold as individually graded (5, 2, 1/2 and 1/4 are PF70 and the 1 is PF69) coins. Current price (with the 6% buyers premium added) is…….

£17,225.00.

That is highly likely to rise as all the coins are currently below the level of previous sales.

In the previous month’s sale a similar graded set went for………..

£26,712.00 (The 5 went for £14,840 with the premium included).

10 hours ago, SilverMike said:

You think that they haven’t sold a few hundred coins, that they haven’t struck yet, in a few days, that this is an issue to the Royal Mint? They strike lots of coins in gold that they are more than happy to sit on for years. 

I suspect not, more that @westminstrel is correct in that it was a balls up and was always the case, it’s not unusual for them to make that type of mistake. They are an odd business, but in their weird way they are protective and proud about who they are and what they do and represent. These sovereigns along with the other coins they have tagged as “memorial” is their way of honouring the passing of QEII and they will proudly stand by their mandate. 

Its their "flagship" coin they were hoping it would be a sellout in days, they raised the mintage figure by more than 70% in some cases hoping to maximise profit, certainly don't want it sitting around unsold passed summer 2023 well passed Charles coronation in May when RM would be issuing another set to commemorate that event. They did not anticipate the lost of momentum in sales, not that people who bought the Jubliee coins won't buy because clearly many who bought it also ordered the Memorial sovereign, but fringe and first time collectors, many who are not usually financially committed to collecting these but would buy now find they had to tighten their belt and thosee extra high mintage was aim for them.

I do agree that the RM pricing is getting off the charts - it is perhaps most evident in their bullion coins that they issue as “commemoratives” in special sets.

What I also find rather strange is that the RM, against expectation, is not the cheapest place to buy new Proofs. What’s the logic that dealers can afford to offer new RM coins at a discount? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I do agree that the RM pricing is getting off the charts - it is perhaps most evident in their bullion coins that they issue as “commemoratives” in special sets.

What I also find rather strange is that the RM, against expectation, is not the cheapest place to buy new Proofs. What’s the logic that dealers can afford to offer new RM coins at a discount? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The higher price might be to cover fthe cost of postage when you return the coins due to poor QC😃

3 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

You know what, it really is a bargain. Check out Coin Cabinet sales recently. Plus, this coming auction on Tuesday there is a set being sold as individually graded (5, 2, 1/2 and 1/4 are PF70 and the 1 is PF69) coins. Current price (with the 6% buyers premium added) is…….

£17,225.00.

That is highly likely to rise as all the coins are currently below the level of previous sales.

In the previous month’s sale a similar graded set went for………..

£26,712.00 (The 5 went for £14,840 with the premium included).

I would say at 17/18k for a raw set is about market - rather than a bargain (13/14k would be a bargain :)). Good buy for the long run, or if you get lucky and the 5 sov comes back a 70.

The prices you quoted are mostly lifted up by the 5 sov in PF70. And we all know the mark up on PF70 coins in our game. In PF69, the 5 sov is closer to 5/6k, rather than 14/15k in PF70. So big difference.

And there is a known flaw with the 5 sov, I know of 2 that got a 69 for the same flaw.

Either way I still think it’s a great set!

1 hour ago, Touvex said:

I would say at 17/18k for a raw set is about market - rather than a bargain (13/14k would be a bargain :)). Good buy for the long run, or if you get lucky and the 5 sov comes back a 70.

The prices you quoted are mostly lifted up by the 5 sov in PF70. And we all know the mark up on PF70 coins in our game. In PF69, the 5 sov is closer to 5/6k, rather than 14/15k in PF70. So big difference.

And there is a known flaw with the 5 sov, I know of 2 that got a 69 for the same flaw.

Either way I still think it’s a great set!

Agree with everything you say, though of course let’s not forget that the sovereign in these two sets both graded at 69 and so that affects the price.

What would you set the price at for a set at 70 compared to one at 69 (rather than a mix - which is what we have seen/are seeing at Coin Cabinet). That for me would be the best guide for pricing the raw set.

I've just had a bullish thought for once! Am thinking a lot of flippers/collectors will cancel or return these coins/sets given the lead time, difficulty flipping and fomo wearing off etc.

Given the cutoff date of 31/12 presumably any returns will go straight in the pot leaving what remains of the mintage figures in relatively "strong hands"?

Is that a reasonable assumption?

Edited by ArgentSmith

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

1 minute ago, ArgentSmith said:

I've just had a bullish thought for once! Am thinking a lot of flippers/collectors will cancel or return these coins/sets given the lead time, difficulty flipping and fomo wearing off etc.

Given the cutoff date of 31/12 presumably any returns will go straight in the pot leaving the remaining mintages in relatively "strong hands"?

Is that a reasonable assumption?

Depends what starts selling/happening on feebay which looks like absolutely dead the past week 

Just now, Paul said:

Depends what starts selling/happening on feebay which looks like absolutely dead the past week 

This is what im thinking, surely all will be all be getting canceled or returned to RM

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

1 minute ago, ArgentSmith said:

This is what im thinking, surely all will be all be getting canceled or returned to RM

All depends your time scales for holding. 

My plan for this keeping it in the retirement 

I anticipate it to be Luke warm for next 3-6 months through early 2023 then you'll see slow steady appreciation