• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queens beasts set

2 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I think it speaks volumes that they have been listed now for a couple of days at least and are still available. They flew out the door on release and a major dealer has a very reasonably priced set available - logically you would think they would be snapped up.

Has everybody who really wants a set got one - probably not (myself included). Are people willing to risk it given the problems with this set, I'm not. It's a shame because it a beautiful set, but fool me once- shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me as an ex president tried to say!

I wonder @LawrenceChard is the set brand new, a return to RM or a private purchase Chards have made? Obviously I am not casting any aspersions and respect the right not to answer. I'm just intrigued!

I'm sure it will sell, but a little surprised that it hasn't done so already.

I agree and it surprises me too.

There is a quarter ounce gold version on the coins of the realm auction today for a little under cost for starting bid. Will be interesting to see how that goes 

I can only assume its the quality issues in people's minds.

When mine comes back mid to end of August if its not better, it's going back and I will have a refund.

It's a great shame, but perhaps those that do grade well will fetch a decent premium.

Coins of the realm auction link.

https://bidlive.coinsoftherealm-auctions.com/lots/view/4-32V3ID/2021-royal-mint-queens-beasts-10-coin-proof-14oz-gold-reverse-frosted-set-just-300-released

Edited by NewCoins
Added auction

54 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

🤣 Knowing my luck... all 68s

Rookie question: Can someone talk me through the reason for grading these? I get what you want to know, but if you were to sell on, what does that do to the sale value if they're mostly, say 68s or 69s vs mostly 69s or 70s?

2 minutes ago, MetalsMan said:

Rookie question: Can someone talk me through the reason for grading these? I get what you want to know, but if you were to sell on, what does that do to the sale value if they're mostly, say 68s or 69s vs mostly 69s or 70s?

In the present client anything under a 70 would detract from the value... but yes if a set came back as all 70s then it would probably be one of the few.. considering the small mintage. For me if the majority were good grades then its a matter of would the cost to grade be a worthwhile move... its an experiment which I hope is in my favour hahaha

Edited by Rll1288

1 hour ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I think it speaks volumes that they have been listed now for a couple of days at least and are still available. They flew out the door on release and a major dealer has a very reasonably priced set available - logically you would think they would be snapped up.

Has everybody who really wants a set got one - probably not (myself included). Are people willing to risk it given the problems with this set, I'm not. It's a shame because it a beautiful set, but fool me once- shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me as an ex president tried to say!

I wonder @LawrenceChard is the set brand new, a return to RM or a private purchase Chards have made? Obviously I am not casting any aspersions and respect the right not to answer. I'm just intrigued!

I'm sure it will sell, but a little surprised that it hasn't done so already.

I don't actually know where we sourced that particular set.

Our daughter Juliana possibly bought it privately direct from the Mint as a retail customer, or it could have come into us from a dealer, collector, or flipper.

She did forecast a month ago that some of the crazy prices were likely to soften, for a mixture of reasons.

Some of the hysterical demand may have come from Japan, and if all the Japanese collectors have now got one, then some of the British dealers will no longer be bidding prices up to supply to Tokyo.

I have almost stopped being surprised at some things that happen in the coin market.

Quite a few years ago, we had accumulated a slight overstock of 1937 four coin gold proof sets (£5 to 1/2 sovereign). From memory, we wer asking £3350, and we had 4 sets in stock. Most weeks we would get an enquiry from someone interested in buying, we would have a conversation, quote our price, which was already on our site, we would politely decline a counter offer or a request for a discount, probably explaining that the set was very fairly priced, and possibly too cheap. At this stage, we had not sold one for 2 or 3 years, so I ended up selling 3 of them to a fellow dealer (at £3250 each). Then something happened, I think one must have sold at auction, on on ebay, for over £10K. Somebody bought our last set, and suddenly we were getting multiple enquiries daily from people wanting to buy one., all sounding surprised and frustrated because we didn't have one in stock. All desperate to add one to their collection. While writing this paragraph, I had a quick Google search, and found one on offer by one of my least favourite competitors, for almost £20K.

Chards

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Our daughter Juliana possibly bought it privately direct from the Mint as a retail customer, or it could have come into us from a dealer, collector, or flipper.

She did forecast a month ago that some of the crazy prices were likely to soften, for a mixture of reasons.

Given your experience with the 1937 sets maybe you should pop the QBs in the Chard family vault. Just in case...

On 15/07/2021 at 12:30, Uksilverstackers said:

Just a heads up.... After purchasing an item from RM I got an email from Feefo for a “Review your recent experience with The Royal Mint”...

As I had issues with quality control, I responded accordingly with notes about disappointment and quality control etc. Minimum rating was set at 1* (Bad) and I subsequently rated all previous question accordingly, however when the next question came up about what I liked about the coin, I was honest and rated the particular coin design as 5*

On checking the comments after completion, Feefo’s website listed my review as 5* based on just one comment !!!!!! 🤬.

Please make sure if you do a review, make everything 1* to reflect your actual comments if service has been poor.

Most "Review" sites charge companies varying levels of membership fee, with differing levels of control.

TrustPilot for example ask £4000, and I think this is possibly just their base level.
Being very cynical about many aspects of modern day marketing, I wonder how much the Royal Mint have to pay Feefo? 🙂

Chards

On 16/07/2021 at 09:39, AndrewSL76 said:

Andrew’s boring but interesting fact #1: the word ‘facetious’ is the only word in the English language that contains all the vowels, in the correct order, once. 

In that case:

Rhythm is the longest English word with no vowels.

The word "gullible" is not in any English dictionary.

There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Chards

4 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I’m intrigued to know if @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer put the sets, and other RM proofs such as the completer, through any QC of their own? Or are they sold “as is” without opening them?

Yes, @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer now closely examine most new RM products, to check for milkspots, scratches, and any other potential problems.

We did not normally do this in the past, but it seems to have become necessary recently.

Strangely enough:

Many years ago, we found we were getting two types of queries or complaints:

Some people would complain after receiving, say, a gold proof "sovereign" set, because they was some black fluff on one of the coins, and even theough it was just from the case insert, were unhappy that we had not checked the set over before posting it (We sent most out in their mint sealed bags).

Others would complain because they had received a set which was not in its mint sealed bag, possibly because we had done random checks on a few sets.

Sometimes you can't win! 🙂

Chards

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

In that case:

There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.

And there are  two kinds of people in this world that dig! "You dig"

"Good Bad, and the ugly" just in case you are wondering...😄😄😄😄😄

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

In that case:

If you say ‘oranges’ really, really slowly it sounds like ‘gullible’, which as you say is also not even in the dictionary. 

23 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

In that case:

Although it looks like the latest branding fad is to remove all (most) vowels from your company name*, so:

Standard Life Aberdeen becomes abrdn (and not even a capital "a"). Probably spent £3 million on consultants fees to advise them.

It's about time we rebranded chrdscnndbllndlr. How catchy is that?

We could even get one step ahead and dump all the consonants instead:

aoiauioeae

Right!, just off to register 2 new domain names.

* Could avoid having to translate all company documents into Welsh.

Chards

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Some of the hysterical demand may have come from Japan, and if all the Japanese collectors have now got one, then some of the British dealers will no longer be bidding prices up to supply to Tokyo.

I have almost stopped being surprised at some things that happen in the coin market.

Quite a few years ago, we had accumulated a slight overstock of 1937 four coin gold proof sets (£5 to 1/2 sovereign). From memory, we wer asking £3350, and we had 4 sets in stock. Most weeks we would get an enquiry from someone interested in buying, we would have a conversation, quote our price, which was already on our site, we would politely decline a counter offer or a request for a discount, probably explaining that the set was very fairly priced, and possibly too cheap. At this stage, we had not sold one for 2 or 3 years, so I ended up selling 3 of them to a fellow dealer (at £3250 each). Then something happened, I think one must have sold at auction, on on ebay, for over £10K. Somebody bought our last set, and suddenly we were getting multiple enquiries daily from people wanting to buy one., all sounding surprised and frustrated because we didn't have one in stock. All desperate to add one to their collection. While writing this paragraph, I had a quick Google search, and found one on offer by one of my least favourite competitors, for almost £20K.

One day can be sky high, one day can be rock bottom....no one can predict exactly the outcome, n that's like our life.  Nowadays is way too many money in the market, which push everything to price at higher end.  Everything is expensive, necessity, daily items, housing, PM, only the pay check are not increasing.... frustration at all.  

15 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Quite a few years ago, we had accumulated a slight overstock of 1937 four coin gold proof sets (£5 to 1/2 sovereign). From memory, we wer asking £3350, and we had 4 sets in stock. Most weeks we would get an enquiry from someone interested in buying, we would have a conversation, quote our price, which was already on our site, we would politely decline a counter offer or a request for a discount, probably explaining that the set was very fairly priced, and possibly too cheap. At this stage, we had not sold one for 2 or 3 years, so I ended up selling 3 of them to a fellow dealer (at £3250 each).

What would you say is a fair price for this set (ungraded) now? 

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

What would you say is a fair price for this set (ungraded) now? 

In the 2021 Spink catalogue, it is listed at £13,5000 in FDC. the 4 coins list separately at a total of £14,000.

Any proof sets before 1970 are unlikely to be FDC, but that is probably a reasonable estimate for about FDC.

By ungraded, I guess you mean not graded by a professional third party grading service, which is quite a mouthful, so unslabbed would be good shorthand. Of course, nobody is ever going to sell one without seller or buyer assigning their won grading to it.

Because these pre' 1970 sets were housed in push fit boxes, not in capsules, most have at least hairline scratches, fingerprints, or other imperfections. Obviously some sets are better than others. The intrinsic value is just over £2,600. Bearing this in mind, I would say from under £10k to £20k. that's a wide range, but anyone paying this kind of money is likely to be looking very closely at its condition, unless they are buying it from the Royal Mint, who would probably be asking £25k to £30k for one. To put this in perspective, the 15 coin silver and base metal set crown to farthing catalogues in Spink at £400, but the Royal Mint are asking £645, and even then it is shown as "No Longer Available", although some later text contradicts this "We currently have a small number of The 1937 George VI Coronation Proof sets".

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I think there were more problems with the 2oz sets so hopefully yours will be fine...I know alot of people sent them back but I havnt heard what their replacement sets were like...Maybe they just decided on a refund...let us know how your set is 👍👍

👌 will share here as soon as I get it. 

9 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I'm still waiting for 1/4 silver replacement. Expecting it to arrive later this month. I really should call them and find out...

Hope you get it back soon and in great condition 🙂

On 07/08/2021 at 12:49, cylinder99 said:

👌 will share here as soon as I get it. 

Hope you get it back soon and in great condition 🙂

I finally received my 1/4 oz silver proof set today. Did a quick receipt inspection - with the exception of the usual micro fibers stuck to the capsule (both inside and outside), a not-so-usual strand of hair stuck between the red dragon and its capsule, and a nick on the rim of one coin, the set seems to be in good condition.  Will do a more detailed inspection later but not expecting any surprises.  Just to clarify I got this set from a dealer so maybe there's a bit more QC?

My 2 Oz silver proof completer came in today. Opened the box and surprise surprise... the top half of the capsule was loose... 🙄 coin seems to be OK but I'll give it a good inspection later... Tried to twist the capsule back in but couldn't go all the way, leaving a gap. First time I'm seeing a capsule that's not screw-in or push fit. Anyone has the same experience? 🤨

IMG_20210812_153927.thumb.jpg.7b585b0f3eab4a649b877987cf181b44.jpg

IMG_20210812_153904.thumb.jpg.4c44ac54840567040e9634c47d3112d8.jpg

32 minutes ago, cylinder99 said:

My 2 Oz silver proof completer came in today. Opened the box and surprise surprise... the top half of the capsule was loose... 🙄 coin seems to be OK but I'll give it a good inspection later... Tried to twist the capsule back in but couldn't go all the way, leaving a gap. First time I'm seeing a capsule that's not screw-in or push fit. Anyone has the same experience? 🤨

IMG_20210812_153927.thumb.jpg.7b585b0f3eab4a649b877987cf181b44.jpg

IMG_20210812_153904.thumb.jpg.4c44ac54840567040e9634c47d3112d8.jpg

My was the same. But my coin was also not ok, but full of milkspots and dust. I hope your coin is ok, but you better check