• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Small scratch on rim of Gold Proof Queens Beast Completer Coin

foinikas

So my Queens Beast Completer gold proof coin finally arrives, after a month of being interoggated by the ruthless Cyprus Customs officers 🤦🏻‍♂️😂. When i inspected the coin at first i did not see any of the usual problems that other collectors have been reporting and i was very happy to receive a flawless coin. However, on a second viewing i noticed a very small scratch on the rim , barely noticable. I attached a couple of photos for you all.

i was planning to have this coin graded. Do you think it will grade well or will the scratch on the rim affect the grade?

I am also considering asking for a replacement, although i am not sure it is worth the trouble..

FA08BE88-83F0-4BF6-8958-45152C58C4E5.jpeg

9CFF99D9-7DFB-4753-AB55-7DFF25ABF428.jpeg

it looks like a manufacturing defect? NGC ignore those in PF70s, i have a few (other coins) in PF70 that have worth defects than that... love this coin by the way, i have 1 too

Edited by Touvex

I have this in silver proof and is easily the most spectacular coin I have seen😁. I also have this very same fault on the 2021 Britannia silver proof, an irritation but it could be worse, at least it's not on the coin face.😊

Sorry if I am crashing the topic, but after examining my own Completer seems to have a bit of a nasty scratch also. In the picture it is between the O and the Z. Not a very good picture sorry.

I purchased it from Atkinsons and was wondering if it is worth contacting them or is it just something one has to just put up with as it is a bullion coin.

20210620_223108.jpg

You should definitely take it back for replacement. I would not buy scratched coin above gold spot price and this one is one that would carry a good premium in the years to come in my opinion (even the bullion version). I hope they will change it for you mate.

On 19/06/2021 at 21:21, foinikas said:

So my Queens Beast Completer gold proof coin finally arrives, after a month of being interoggated by the ruthless Cyprus Customs officers 🤦🏻‍♂️😂. When i inspected the coin at first i did not see any of the usual problems that other collectors have been reporting and i was very happy to receive a flawless coin. However, on a second viewing i noticed a very small scratch on the rim , barely noticable. I attached a couple of photos for you all.

i was planning to have this coin graded. Do you think it will grade well or will the scratch on the rim affect the grade?

I am also considering asking for a replacement, although i am not sure it is worth the trouble..

FA08BE88-83F0-4BF6-8958-45152C58C4E5.jpeg

9CFF99D9-7DFB-4753-AB55-7DFF25ABF428.jpeg

Defiantly a rim nick, also it might be the light but I'd have another look at the frosting around the rim.

rim1.png

rim2.png

21 hours ago, Airhead said:

Sorry if I am crashing the topic, but after examining my own Completer seems to have a bit of a nasty scratch also. In the picture it is between the O and the Z. Not a very good picture sorry.

I purchased it from Atkinsons and was wondering if it is worth contacting them or is it just something one has to just put up with as it is a bullion coin.

20210620_223108.jpg

It's normal for contact marks on bullion coins.  Even brand new bullion coins in blister packs still have contact/production marks.  Still a great looking coin! 

All the coin dealers i know offer much less to buy back scratched bullion coins . If i am buying and paying a premium, i expect to get a perfect coin, otherwise i wont be happy paying that premium. The Royal Mint should replace any scratched coins they produce if asked to do so and to be honest they should improve on their quality check. I have never had a problem with any of the other big mints around the world.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Airhead said:

Just a quick update, Atkinsons were very helpful and will swap the coin. Marvellous service.

That was very good of them and I am pleased you had a good outcome.

I can't help feel you have been fairly lucky though.  As a bullion coin I don't think you can expect it to be perfect, or if it is perfect, then that is the luck of the draw.  For a BU coin of proof coin you should expect more though.  But at least your storey has a happy ending.